PDA

View Full Version : Briggs OHV I/C 14.5 HP won't start- compression?

evan price
05-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Got a 14.5 OHV single cylinder I/C Briggs, 287707, put 3 starters on it now, it won't turn over with any of them, a customer gave me the mower in exchange for a free mow, he signed the contract because he was tired of paying $1200 for a mower that lasts a few years and he was getting old. I said, "What the heck?" and took the tractor, its an MTD store brand 42" thing I figure got to be worth something for resale.
I put 2 used and one new starter on it, it does the same thing, it will turn until it hits the compression stroke and then it stops turning. I've tried jumping the starter directly from a fresh battery (Bypassing the solenoid altogether). You can turn it by hand (hard, but no worse than my 18 HP B&S twins). Somebody told me the valves need adjusted, they are too loose and the compression releaser won't release in this condition because they are too loose (?). Someone else said you need a high torque starter but he wanted to sell me a $200 starter. Only prob is I don't have the original starter for it, the guy's son took it to "rebuild" and lost it. Looks like any old 497595 starter fits it but I know there is a long and short case... am I on the right track? Anybody got an idea? I'm not gonna take a gift tractor to a shop to fix before I sell it, it's parked out back of the shop taking up space. Thanks, all.

Restrorob
05-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Adjust the valves that should do it,This engine will start ok with the short starter,But the longer one is better. And that guy in gauging you on the long one.

barnard
05-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Restorob is on the money . adjust the valves. Problem will be solved. spent about 2 hours on one figuring it out.

mike76
05-17-2005, 11:04 AM
When you go to adj the valves check the rocker studs, because they have a bad habbit of backing out a little. If they did lock-tite them back in and set the valves and you should be ready to go. Good luck.

Restrorob
05-17-2005, 12:08 PM
When you adjust the valves make sure you rotate the piston past T.D.C. 1/4"
And set intake at 3 to 5 thou. and exhaust 5 to 7 thou.
happy selling !
BTW the long starter is p# 499521 and list price is 118.95

evan price
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Appreciate the advice, I'll mess with it this weekend. I'm messing with a scag with Kohler 20 that has no spark right now.

Redneckn
05-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Also, it could possibly be the camshaft lobes beginning to wear down along with the valves needing adjustment.

Briggs are known (nowadays) for having camshaft issues.

evan price
05-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Adjusted valves & she lit off good. Still getting intermittent starter problems but I beleive it is due to the crappy $.05 starter solenoid they put on lawn tractors nowadays. I'm gonna put a Ford solenoid on it like I do my commercial eqpt. For a big single she really runs quiet & smooth (I'm spoiled by all the twins I have & used to the old flatheads).
Thanks for your help.