PDA

View Full Version : gravely zoom 1534 model for small gates???

Rob's Lawn Care
05-16-2005, 05:25 PM
I know i am probably going to catch"residential use only" flack over this, but heregoes. I was considering purchasing a 1534 (fifteen briggs, 34" cut)model homeowner unit for about 2400.00 new, setup with mulch for my medium, (a few small) sized yards. Nothing fancy, expensive, and not to many yards but enough a week to be done. It's not to heavy as to make ground impressions, about 500lbs is the weight. Does anyone have any experience with these gravely/ariens small mowers or have a set up like that?

dpullen4
05-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I purchased the Ariens 1740, so it's a bigger unit than the Gravely you priced. I did consider the mini zooms, but just thought there were enough features in the bigger model to warrant the upgrade in cost.

In terms of overall performace, I'm quite pleased. Granted, it's a "residential" ZTR, but I've cut my mowing time from 1:15 with my 21" Honda to about 25 minutes with my new 40" Ariens ZTR. I'll pick up our HOA account next year of 2 acres, and even if that's all I ever did, there's no way I could even dream up of putting over 5 hours/week. Would I use it for commercial? No, but this mower should last me for YEARS.

ed2hess
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
You might look at the Scag 32" it is rock iron solid for residential. It is probably a little heavier than Gravely. We have two of the 32" that served us well, we have since switched to 36" hydro units.

topsites
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
I don't care for nothing below 44" because the only thing it's good for is those few yards with the 3-foot gate and it wastes truck fuel the entire time it sits on the trailer, plus time (un)load. Had a friend bought one years ago and he said it was the biggest waste of his time and money.
As for me, I don't even care for the 44" unless it's a steal, I always buy a 48".
The 48 is the largest mower that will fit through MOST 4-foot gates (at least the fix-deck proline does), 52" is too big and where the 48" don't fit is too few gates to warrant the 44" because every size down is another circle you gotta draw around larger yards with the machine (more mower-time).
With the 48", I cut an acre in 30-45 minutes (depends on whether it's .9 acres or 1.1 acres and if is trees and hills or flat and square), I mean if I bought a small 30-something then I'd have to charge extra for the inconvenience and for all that, I'd just as soon give it to someone else.
That's my attitude, and besides if those mowers are so good, then why is everybody selling them? :-)

Peace out,
Pascal

Tider6972
05-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Rob's, I think you'll be fine with it.

I've been using a PM34Z for almost a season now, and it has virtually eliminated 21s, and saved a world of time for us!

The 1534 is not commercial, but it's pretty dang close - and for half the price! As best I can determine, the 1534 lacks the full 7 gauge deck, has smaller tires, and has the Briggs instead of a Kaw. The deck is a fabricated and reinforced 10 or 12 gauge and otherwise is like the 7ga commercial Gravely decks!

I think it'll be fine, if you don't want to spend the 4 grand for the PM34Z !

PS - expect the anti-small ZTR crowd to chime in, but they refuse to recognize you're not dealing with acre lots with friggin' drive through gates! For you props with 36" (and a grunt less in some cases) you're on the right track with a 34" ztr - you'll save time and a hell of a lot of energy over a work behind!

Rob's Lawn Care
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks Tider for your opinion, thats what i was looking for especially someone that has a small 34" ztr and can tell me about their experience before i go out and buy one. I think most people would agree with you about the small ztr mowers, the market i think DOES change on some things. small mowers lack this and that but,i f you can't get it through the gate, it's not worth a ****. Thanks, Rob

moremowing4me
05-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Rob's, I think you'll be fine with it.

I've been using a PM34Z for almost a season now, and it has virtually eliminated 21s, and saved a world of time for us!

The 1534 is not commercial, but it's pretty dang close - and for half the price! As best I can determine, the 1534 lacks the full 7 gauge deck, has smaller tires, and has the Briggs instead of a Kaw. The deck is a fabricated and reinforced 10 or 12 gauge and otherwise is like the 7ga commercial Gravely decks!

I think it'll be fine, if you don't want to spend the 4 grand for the PM34Z !

PS - expect the anti-small ZTR crowd to chime in, but they refuse to recognize you're not dealing with acre lots with friggin' drive through gates! For you props with 36" (and a grunt less in some cases) you're on the right track with a 34" ztr - you'll save time and a hell of a lot of energy over a work behind!

DIDO!!!!!!!!!!

billh
06-17-2005, 08:44 PM
I've got a Gravely 1534 w/the Kohler 15hp. It's great for small stuff, getting through fences, etc. I wouldn't hesitate buying a 34". The right tool for the right job is always a good choice!

baja4wd
07-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Just picked up a Gravely Mini z-1540, nice unit, not commerical, but close. Deck is 12ga, reinforced spindels & banding around the deck. Fabricated & not stamped, it will fit through all my gates and the 15HP Kohler is excellent. Just my 2cents worth.

sooner74
07-14-2005, 11:50 PM
Got to echo the statement ,if you can't get it through the gate, it's not worth a ****. The dealer talked me into the 1434, over the 1534 though. I think they wanted $300 more. For being as uneducated about this business as I was when I bought it, I got to say I am still satisfied with the purchase. My cut times for all my accounts have been cut by at least a third for the smaller ones and in half for the larger ones.

waffletown20
07-16-2005, 02:11 AM
I have the gravely 1844xl and am very happy with the power, speed, and performance. It is the closest to commercial you can get to and is almost identical to the 44Z just about 900 cheaper. The service is great which is a huge plus! I know you probably want everybody to say wow, that mower's perfect and you'll use it and be happy but you should think this through. I don't know if this is your only mower or if you are just starting out. If you are just starting out I would say that would be a pretty good choice of mower. But if you already have a z I would say to get a 34" walkbehind because then not only could you use it for gates but those steep hills or as a backup mower when the z breaks down. It sounds like this is your only mower to me. I would say not to believe half these people because they have never used these mowers. Also, if you've been using a massive $10,000 mower your whole life and then demo a residential of course they'll think it sucks. I would say demo it and if you feel it fits your properties then go with it! Good luck!

baja4wd
07-16-2005, 09:48 AM
I picked up the mini 1540 this past week. I had set out to get the 1534, however after looking at my current accounts I opted for the larger 40" cut. The 1540 deck is 42 3/4" with the chute up, works on all my smaller gates. The Kohler 15hp, has plenty of power, If you get the 1434,pay the extra and get the Kohler over the Briggs. Around here it was just a $150 difference. I also thought I got a pretty good price, cash out the door @ $2499 for the unit. Had to travel 1 1/2 to a nearby city, but the local dealer wanted $2599 + tax saved $281.00, Another dealer in the area had it listed for $2799 + tax. What was a joke was both the local dealers said at their price they were only making about $80 bucks on the mower, go figure...

Lumberjack
07-16-2005, 12:29 PM
For me the Briggs was a better choice. The kohler is a new model engine while the briggs has been here a few years. the Hp rating for the kohler is 15 while the briggs is 14.5 - I just could not see dropping an extra 150 on a uknown for a .5 hp gain.

the 1434 was 2099.99 for a floor model

Im not knocking Kohler - Honestly Ive never owned one.

waffletown20
07-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Kohler is simply a higher quality engine that will last longer and give you less problems. I started with a 15.5 Briggs and now I'm on a 18 HP Kohler. I'll never go back to Briggs.

Gizmo_019
07-16-2005, 08:43 PM
My neighbor has a 1740 Gravely wit ha 17.5 Hp Briggs. He regrets the Briggs but loves the mower. He also has a Cub Cadet rider with a 13 Hp Kohler and a 36" cut. The 13 Hp Kohler won't bog in 12" grass but the 17.5 Hp Briggs will, go figure. I would rather have a Kohler or Kawasaki myself. I have a '92 Snapper with a 12.5 Briggs and a 33" cut. The oil seal went out on it, if it was anything any more than that that Briggs would have been coming off and a 15 Hp Kohler would be going on. My lawn mower repair guy says if it's a Briggs and it doesn't have an oil filter, it isn't worth throwing away, and if it has an oil filter it is alright for residential use but wouldn't stand a chance commercially. Just what he told me.