PDA

View Full Version : Toro Mowers??

Timbo
05-16-2005, 08:52 PM
I am buying a new mower this week. I found a 2004 48 Toro WB, 13 HP Kawasaki, for a great price. My question is how are they on hills? I am going to add jungle wheels to it. When I saw the mower today, the back wheels looked really small. Is this normal and does it effect the performance of the mower? Do you think that 13 HP is enough? I have some large properties and I need a new mower, but don't want to buy something that isn't going to do the job. Thanks.

MudslinginFX4
05-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I'll be honest with you, I've got several Toro's and I don't like the way they handle on hills. Especially the 52' hydros with the T-bar. They seem to slide and are hard to control/keep in a straight line on steep hills going side to side. My pistol grips on the other mowers do just fine though.

Jpocket
05-16-2005, 09:13 PM
You need to get a Scag if your buying a walkbehind and it's your main mower.
If money is not an object i would say get a 52" hydro, if not the 48" belt will do. SCAG WALKBEHINDS ALL THE WAY.

Oldtimer
05-16-2005, 09:21 PM
The 48" Toro is an eXmark fixed deck mower with t-bar handles. It should have no problems handling hills. A new eXmark fixed deck 48" sells for $2299.95 in Florida.

Oldtimer

ed2hess
05-16-2005, 09:22 PM
I'll be honest with you, I've got several Toro's and I don't like the way they handle on hills. Especially the 52' hydros with the T-bar. They seem to slide and are hard to control/keep in a straight line on steep hills going side to side. My pistol grips on the other mowers do just fine though.
I was looking at a Toro today and wondered how that belt drive would work when you are providing the force on belt. On Scag the spring does the work and I know that Scag pulls a LOT better than the belt driven Snappers. I don't see how people can pull themself around on hills with belt driven units. We have gone to hydro units because it was our conclusion that belt drives won't even pull themself in some cases. I guess those small wheels keeps the mechanical advantage down to help the drive, but the wheels are very small radius?

mkwl
05-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I have a 2005 Toro Proline 36" WB mower w/13 HP Kawi V-Twin engine, and I love it! It has a fantastic quality of cut and stripe!!! I don't have a sulky, so I can't really help you there, but it does hold steep hills very well! I would say that with a 48" Toro Proline, if you're going to pull a sulky, 13HP may not really be enough, you need at least 14 or 15 HP. IMO Jpocket, scag has a pretty lousy cut, and I've heard that their decks clog really easily. Stick with Bob-Cat or Toro mowers!

LawnBrother
05-16-2005, 11:02 PM
I have a 44" Toro belt drive WB with a 15hp kohler and I love it. It has no problem pulling itself up hills because it allows you to adjust the tension on the belts giving you all the traction you need. However, be careful mowing sideways on more than a 20 or 25 degree incline or so as the weight of the mower makes it hard to keep it in a straight line; it likes to slide a little. Vertically there's no problems. Other than that, it cuts great and I couldn't be happier with it. T-bar controls are way more comfortable than pistol grips. I would buy another one in a minute. Somebody else mentioned that 13hp may be a little underpowered, especially if pulling a sulky, so that may be something to consider. If you're lightweight it might not matter as much. JMO