PDA

View Full Version : what do u guys think?

A+ Lawncare
05-16-2005, 08:20 PM
what do u guys think of this mower, is there enough customers who request those specialty lawn services, that offer a golf course cut for homeowner's lawns u service?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50376&item=4379820243&rd=1

topsites
05-16-2005, 08:22 PM
That's a golf-course lawn mower.
'nuff said.

A+ Lawncare
05-16-2005, 08:24 PM
would any golf course hire an LCO or all of them stuck on hiring their own lawn crew to cut their tees?

packerbacker
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Did you read the description? It only goes UP to 1 inch. Its for greens on gold courses. You would kill any yard putting that thing on it.

A+ Lawncare
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Did you read the description? It only goes UP to 1 inch. Its for greens on gold courses. You would kill any yard putting that thing on it.

thats actually the same thing i thought, but the ebay ad description mention "homeowner" a few times.....

A+ Lawncare
05-16-2005, 08:36 PM
i'm not a into cutting puttin turf,but just thought an expensive mower of around $20k new and less than $3k w/a lil under 3k hrs was a good price...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------now... movin on to another auction ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=4379828650&rd=1

packerbacker
05-16-2005, 08:41 PM
would any golf course hire an LCO or all of them stuck on hiring their own lawn crew to cut their tees?

Golf Courses have their own crew who cut greens every morning. They NEVER sub work.

lawnman_scott
05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
i'm not a into cutting puttin turf,but just thought an expensive mower of around $20k new and less than $3k w/a lil under 3k hrs was a good price...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------now... movin on to another auction ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50377&item=4379828650&rd=1That guys feedback and his comments would make me run. Look at some of the posative feedback, its not glowing. I have seen his stuff before.

cycloneturf
05-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Kinda confused on this one.... not sure why he would want to spend that much money. But actually the toro sidewinder we use on our golf course is a great mower with a great cut. We currenty have it set at 2.5" for surrounds and some rough. So this mower would work on home lawns if you want a 2.5" cut or shorter. The mower leaves some awesome stripes.

packerbacker
05-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Kinda confused on this one.... not sure why he would want to spend that much money. But actually the toro sidewinder we use on our golf course is a great mower with a great cut. We currenty have it set at 2.5" for surrounds and some rough. So this mower would work on home lawns if you want a 2.5" cut or shorter. The mower leaves some awesome stripes.

Im just reading the description on it and it says "up to 1 inch"

SWD
05-16-2005, 10:14 PM
Height of cut on any reel mower depends upon the number of blades on the reel.
The guy selling the equipment llisted is only a broker, and he sells mostly crap.
Buying used reel equipment is a dangerous proposition unless you know what you are doing.
As far as HOC on a homeowner's turf, I have several at 1.25" that I maintain with a Toro 216-G reel mower.
As well as soccer fields, and soon the school district's athletic fields.
If you know what you are doing, reel equipment is much more cost effective to run over rotary mowers.

Todd's lawncare
05-16-2005, 10:49 PM
Have you got any lawns to cut ???? Or are you still playing with the numbers ? I don't wanna be an a** but most people that get in lawn care have done it in the past and know some thing about it . And you don't seem to know much about any thing to do with it trucks mowers trailers or anything . And why are they stuck on them self why would they hire you when they can pay some jack a** bear min.. for the same thing ???

MOW ED
05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Reels are nice and the cut is awesome but I had a buddy that worked for a parks dept and he said that sharpening those buggers was a PITA. What is your experience with that as well as maintenance?
I know it isn't a speed cut especially when it is thick or wet but it does make a great stripe. I remember cutting with a small Craftsman mower back in the 60's when I was a kid but I just shuddered when I remembered how I had to trim along the fence with the hand clippers and edge with the push edger.

mhunt
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
i've used one of those suckers for many hours. I used to work at a nice golf course. We used that model only on the tee boxes. who ever said reel mowers are more more cost effective is wrong....there is no way a reel mower can be more cost effective than a rotary mower, i worked in the shop at the golf course and must say that sharpening a reel mower can take hours and the equipment needed to sharpen reel mowers cost thousands of dollars. Reel mowers are a PITA to maintain. having said that, there is no rotary mower that will ever come close to the quality of cut that a properly set up, quality reel mower can give on the proper turf.

cycloneturf
05-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Im just reading the description on it and it says "up to 1 inch"

What? Look a little closer the toro sidewinder has a cut of up to 2.5" Not sure that the reel blades show in the picture would be a good idea but the rotary blades work great.

out4now
05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Golf Courses have their own crew who cut greens every morning. They NEVER sub work.

Some do. Ever hear of a little company called Valley Crest? http://www.valleycrest.com/golf_home.html
It is really expensive to get into because of all the equipment costs and few courses will risk their revenue stream on someone they don't know doing the work. That is why there are few companies that even offer it. There is another one but I can't remeber the name of it.

packerbacker
05-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Some do. Ever hear of a little company called Valley Crest? http://www.valleycrest.com/golf_home.html
It is really expensive to get into because of all the equipment costs and few courses will risk their revenue stream on someone they don't know doing the work. That is why there are few companies that even offer it. There is another one but I can't remeber the name of it.

Looks like a golf course maintance company. Not some LCO looking for extra work.

JimLewis
05-19-2005, 02:37 AM
what do u guys think of this mower, is there enough customers who request those specialty lawn services, that offer a golf course cut for homeowner's lawns u service?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50376&item=4379820243&rd=1

Hey, I understand you are new so I see where you're mind is going with this. But the whole concept is just not doable for a reasonable price. The whole notion of giving someone a "golf course" lawn isn't really feasible. Like others said above, golf courses cut every single day. You can't take a reel mower and cut just once a week. It doesn't work like that. Reel mowers only work if you use them every day. Every two days at most. You gonna go cut your customers' lawns every day or two? Of course not. They couldn't afford that service even if you were willing to do it. So the whole idea doesn't even work. You can't really use a real mower to do regular once-a-week lawn care.

MarcSmith
05-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Then to top it all off, hit one rock and and gouge a bed knife and you have a bad cut....let the reel mowers stay on the sports turf. We ended up subing our field work out. just to do an annual service and regrind the bed knives and lap the blades was costing us $2k..... And dont forget when it come time to change the height....PITA...