PDA

View Full Version : To Bag or not to Bag??

Clapper&Company
05-16-2005, 08:33 PM
I got my new Steiner ZTM227 mower a few weeks ago.

The grass is think and damp, around here due to the weather and stuff. I was thinking about getting the bagger setup for it. they want $1800 for it.

What's the Pros & Cons about bagging?

How many of you guys bag and how many dont?

MowerMoney
05-16-2005, 09:04 PM
I hate bagging and avoid it as much as possible. I would rather double cut any day. BUT sometimes there is no choice if you want the lawn to look good especially in the spring when the fertilizer kicks in.
Think I'll start advising NEW customers that my price is for cut & trim only. If the lawn requires bagging that there will be an extra charge (up to 35% higher cause it takes up to 35% more time).

jpp
05-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey Ron,

How are you doing? (Young Pup from plowsite) I don't bag my lawns I usually double cut them. Pros,I think double cutting takes less time, you don't need to get rid of the grass, you won't be doing any heavy lifting of wet grass, and you want have to haul your baggers with you.

Cons would be a heavy thatch build up though. Now with all that said I did bag a customers front lawn today because of all the clippings from the last couple of times. This one was on me because I wanted the yard to be a show piece in the neighborhood. Took only 2 minutes to do it. Just my .02

Good luck,

JP

scott in the soo
05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
as long as your cutting every 5 to 7 days there should not be a problem with mulching or side discharge... keep the grass a little higher.. better for the lawn and i think it looks better.

Frank2
05-16-2005, 09:50 PM
This is an easy one.....if they are paying for the bagging -- bag it.....if not-- no bagging. simple as that.

Shady Brook
05-16-2005, 09:53 PM
You won't build up thatch from not baging, thatch is going to be roots of grass plants with other living and dead material. Fescue rarely builds thatch while Ky Blue will build it, especially on clay. If you have sandy soil, I don't think you will ever have to much thatch. That being said, bagging can give a great looking lawn when you leave, especially if things are damp. You are robbing organic matter from the grass plants which may be the only organic they see anymore. Those baggers are big, take up alot of trailer space, cost a lot of money and fill up very fast. They require finding a place to empty your debris, and time to go dump your loads, not to mention expense of disposal. These are things you have to weigh for yourself.

I bag if it is convenient for me to do so, regardless I leave the lawn looking great when I drive away.

Clapper&Company
05-17-2005, 09:47 PM
JJP

I'm good how have you been? We still need try to set up a get together.
and how nothing new. I dont think i'm going to get a bagger. if you can e-mail me and were talk.

thanks