PDA

View Full Version : New mulching blades. Bad cut need help.

Lawns of KY
05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
I just purchased new raptor mulching blades for all of my mowers. These are the blades with teeth on the opposite end of the cutting edge. I used them for the first time today and I must say it was the worst cut ever. My question is: Do the teeth face up (towards mower) or down (Towards grass)? This may solve my problem as I may have the blades on wrong.

Mo Green
05-16-2005, 09:06 PM
If they are anything like Gator blades, the teeth face up. I have found the Gators to be good for leaves and normal dry grass. But if it's thick, wet, or both, they arent that great. They clogged the hell out of my deck in wet grass.

Runner
05-16-2005, 09:44 PM
LOL If the teeth are down, then the bevel of the blade isn't even hitting the grass! You might be onto something for leaf mulching, though! :dizzy: To answer the question,...two things; first, yes, the teeth go up, and second, even though they are new, sharpen and balance them.

Tonyr
05-16-2005, 10:42 PM
yep, the notched/serrated sail must face up.

raptors are a great mulch blade, but like most mulch blades they aren't for damp grass or thick overgrown lush grasses, they are great for what they were designed for...

you can use them as general purpose, i.e side discharge, they work well for me, helps chop the clippings up just that bit finer.

they aren't a speed blade either, go steady and let em do their thing and you should be ok.

not everyone likes raptors here, but I personally love them, then my cutting conditions are probably different to most of you guys.

bugspit
05-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Had a problem with the center blade not cutting completely with 3 gators running.

Stopped and changed to sharp blades but decided to put a high-lift in the center and gators on each end.

Surprisingly a super smooth cut!

Sharp blades or new setup..you be the judge.