PDA

View Full Version : Toro Motor

Bret's Lawn Care
05-16-2005, 10:13 PM
A guy stopped me while I was cutting a lawn and asked me if I wanted to buy another mower like the one I already had, so I said I would be interested and gave him my number. The next day he calls and tells me he has it all fixed up. So I go and look at it. The mower was a 1984 toro proline 44". It stared oon the second pull. So I figured there was nothing wrong with the motor. Then I idled it up and the motor sarted shaking really bad. So I let it idle and shut it off and took a compression test. The test read 55psi. He only wants $400 for the mower. What do you guys think?

topsites
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
A guy stopped me while I was cutting a lawn and asked me if I wanted to buy another mower like the one I already had, so I said I would be interested and gave him my number. The next day he calls and tells me he has it all fixed up. So I go and look at it. The mower was a 1984 toro proline 44". It stared oon the second pull. So I figured there was nothing wrong with the motor. Then I idled it up and the motor sarted shaking really bad. So I let it idle and shut it off and took a compression test. The test read 55psi. He only wants $400 for the mower. What do you guys think?

A 20-year old mower?

Hell if it does ok, I mean if it isn't falling apart, 400 is ok but don't plan more than 3-4 yards/day with it until you know what is up. I'd do it mostly for kicks, so if I had 400 to spare...
Otherwise, nah, to cheap, something is wrong with it.
An engine will cost you 600 + labor for a B & S 13hp cheapo.

beransfixitinc
05-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Only 55? If it vibrates real bad at high/normal speed, you might offer $100, that way when it blows.. and it will blow soon if it's got internal damage, you might can put a new engine on it for $400 and not be too bad off.

Restorob will correct me, but compression should be somewhere around at least 90.. but maybe not on something that old, I'm not sure.

Eddie B
05-16-2005, 10:41 PM
It might make a good backup, but it sounds like too much could go wrong with it with regular use.

Watkinslawnservice
05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
I have a 1988 or 1990(there is some confusion on age) Toro 36" t-bar. I paid $450 for it but the engine has been replaced with a newer Kawasaki. I love it, but like I said, it has a new engine on it. Not a whole lot else that can go wrong.