PDA

View Full Version : when do you edge?

chefdrp
05-16-2005, 10:27 PM
For those of you that edge every week, do you do it befor you mow like you line trim or do you linetrim mow then edge?

ChadA
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
I like to switch it up unless its a first time edge. Then I edge first and mow over the clippings.

JKOOPERS
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
i always mow first that way i have the least amount of trimming possible and it makes it easier for edging and trimming.

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2005, 10:33 PM
Always in that order i use the mower to blow the big stuff off the sidewalks that makes blowing faster.

ed2hess
05-16-2005, 10:54 PM
i always mow first that way i have the least amount of trimming possible and it makes it easier for edging and trimming.
Trim guy is responsible for correcting all mow problem....even when we have two guys mowing and two trimming.

bondman35a
05-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Edge, trim, mow I dont understand why any one else would do it any other way. You edge, and if you dont get quite everything, you hit it with the trimmer, all of the trimmer clippings get chopped up by the mower and your out with a perfect lawn. Im not saying that anyone should do this, but give it a try, I find that I can anticipate where I Can and Cant mow after a few times on a given property.

Rob's landscaping
05-16-2005, 11:22 PM
NEVER,
Do it with the weed eaters

all ferris
05-16-2005, 11:28 PM

I'm close to St louis and I think everyone does it this way and I do it his way too.

JKOOPERS
05-16-2005, 11:33 PM
it just makes sense to mow first . that way when you trim you already have a height of the grass to match it up to . i never use a trimmer on sidewalks i just edge them every other week .

topsites
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
it just makes sense to mow first . that way when you trim you already have a height of the grass to match it up to . i never use a trimmer on sidewalks i just edge them every other week .

I always mow first, then trim. That way, less trimming. Hold the trimmer correctly (remember the string goes counter-clock) and the clippings go where you want them.
Far as edging, I hope you are not referring to the special edger tool with the metal blade... Only time I use THAT is when I do mulch, for all else I just use the trimmer... Angle it for those nifty edged looks is all I do, make sure not to hit the dirt.
I mean edger + trimmer for grass-cutting? You gotta be kidding...

siclmn
05-16-2005, 11:52 PM
When you mow first you will smash down the edge with the wheels of the mower. Now you guys come with your weed eater and edge the smashed grass. That must look real good. I will guess that this is in one of those places where some guys don't edge at all.

JKOOPERS
05-17-2005, 12:25 AM
I find that I can anticipate where I Can and Cant mow after a few times on a given property.

that will work if you are a solo . if not one person will blame the cutter / trimmer for missing something .

joeg2246
05-17-2005, 12:34 AM
I edge, mow, string trim and then blow the walks clean. I can't imagine not using a stick edger to give a crisp look to a nice yard.

pagefault
05-17-2005, 12:38 AM
When you mow first you will smash down the edge with the wheels of the mower. Now you guys come with your weed eater and edge the smashed grass. That must look real good. I will guess that this is in one of those places where some guys don't edge at all.

Wouldn't the edged get smashed down if you mowed after you edged too? I don't get it. My edges aren't smashed. Of course, I'm not using a giant rider and I am edging with an edger.

I mow, then edge, then trim, then blow and if it is the first cut, I go over the clippings one more time to mulch them up (just where I trim and edge).

JKOOPERS
05-17-2005, 12:41 AM
remo when i mow i hang the left side of the deck over the edge , not putting the tire on the edge. theres nothing worse than not using the full size of the deck when mowing.

Green lawns
05-17-2005, 01:07 AM
We always trim, edge and mow last. By mowing last , the mower picks up any clipings left over from the trimmers.

GrassMasterNC
05-17-2005, 01:33 AM
we have one guy mow while the other trims. Then, whoever finishes first uses a push edger or stick edger to edge, and again, whoever finishes first blows off the sidewalks & driveway. The perimeter is always mowed first so as to not smash down the edging. 100% happy customers with a 100% quality lawn.

Matt

Runner
05-17-2005, 01:43 AM
If the initial edging is already done, we mow, edge, then trim. We mow first, so the fresh edge doesn't get mashed if the wheel happens to go over it. We trim last, because then the vertical edge is already done, and we can run a nice topside (horizontal) over the edged edges. This makes them nice and square. As far as the blowing, we don't have enough material to worry about the mower having to blow them.