PDA

View Full Version : Newley seeded yard

drsogr
05-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I seeded a yard 2 monthes ago with rebel III Fescue. This was a new yard install. Well I went to look at it, and about 70% of the ground has grass....30% does not. The areas that do, have really nice looking grass. It tends to be in blotches. Is this normal the first time seeding. What percentage should come up? Is there a reason why not all of it is coming up? I seem to be getting a lot worse results with this seed than I did planting it in the fall. I planted the same grass in my yard ( overseeding) a month and a half ago, and it is just now really starting to come up.

drsogr
05-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Any opinions? Is this normal?

skurtz78
05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
You probably got the normal results of seeding given that the homeowner may not have used proper watering practices. Not all seed germinates a lot if it will dry out because it does not get good soil contact or the ground dries a little too much. I would say to apply more seed to the bare spots and then a good seeding in the fall. My favorite time of the year to seed is during about a two inch snow fall in the dead middle of winter. I did this to a yard this past winter and the results were great. The seed drops to the ground and buries itself into the wet soil and when the soil temps get high enough here come the grass.

drsogr
05-17-2005, 08:47 AM
He had an irrigation system. That is what is so confusing. The results are with me overseeding once already.