PDA

View Full Version : Using a Trimmer like an Edger.

gl1200a
05-16-2005, 11:08 PM
OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger. Thank you.

PLM-1
05-16-2005, 11:49 PM
OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger. Thank you.

By using an edger for edging. Or, get REALLY good with a line trimmer. Practice Practice Practice It takes time to learn. An edger is faster and leaves a tighter edge, it will set you apart from the others.

Jason Rose
05-17-2005, 12:01 AM
man this topic has been beat to death the last week or two on here...

Flip it upside down, run your throttle about 1/2 to 3/4 and learn to walk a straight line over all kinds of uneven terrain and hold the head straight and true in a 40 mph wind. Much harder than you think... Every trimmer is a little different, you just have to turn it just the right war and angle it just so to get it perfect. Once you get good at it you can do it forwards and backwards as fast as you can walk.

Some time I need to snap a pic of my edges here at my house. If you people can tell me that your stick edger could do a better job, I'd love to see it. I'll even let you mow my lawn if you win!

joeg2246
05-17-2005, 12:05 AM
There is no way your way of edgeing will be more crisp than a stick edger. On the other hand if that is the way you want to do it thats fine. As long as you are happy and your customers are happy that is all that matters.

Jason Rose
05-17-2005, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=PLM-1]An edger is faster and leaves a tighter edge

Ok, I just had a thought... Hard to believe, I know.. But when edging with a blade edger you follow the concrete edge, but when you use a trimmer your instinct is to follow the grass. eventually the grass gets worn back and after several years there's a gap opening up between the concrete edge and the grass edge. What makes a person good with the trimmer edging is to always remmeber to follow the concrete edge as close as possible. even if you aren't taking off much grass at all. The tighter the grass is to the concrete with just a thin line of soil, about a blade width, is the most attractive edge. Wide strips of dirt along the sidewalk are just invitations for weeds and mud slides when it rains.

pagefault
05-17-2005, 12:12 AM
I've noticed that the grass trimmed with a string trimmer (anywhere, not just edging) can look really beat up and torn, compared to grass cut with a sharp blade. While I'm not going to dispute whether someone is able to hold a trimmer the right way to use it as an edger, I just don't think it cuts as well. Otherwise, wouldn't we all be using those string mowers?

Eddie B
05-17-2005, 12:47 AM
I've noticed that the grass trimmed with a string trimmer (anywhere, not just edging) can look really beat up and torn, compared to grass cut with a sharp blade. While I'm not going to dispute whether someone is able to hold a trimmer the right way to use it as an edger, I just don't think it cuts as well. Otherwise, wouldn't we all be using those string mowers?

They have bladed trimmer heads, nobody uses those. Of course if you accidently hit your foot, your toes won't be happy.

PaulJ
05-17-2005, 01:00 AM
do a search on here for "edgit" and go to www.edgit.com

I have an edgit edging and gtrimming guide on both my trimmers. It won't cut an overgrown edge like a blade but it's great for maintaining edges.

The C Man
05-17-2005, 03:40 AM
OK, so how do you all use a string trimmer so it leaves a nice crisp edge like an edger?
You edge with an edger first, then maintain the edge with a trimmer. It's especially easy if you put an Edgit on your trimmer as PaulJ said.

dishboy
05-17-2005, 08:15 AM
I'll put my trimmer edges up against any steel edge. What a trimmer can do is cut on more than one plane which is benificial when grass heights change in relationship to concrete. What trimmer edges don't do is take chips out of the concrete.

grasswhacker
05-17-2005, 08:20 AM
I'll put my trimmer edges up against any steel edge. What a trimmer can do is cut on more than one plane which is benificial when grass heights change in relationship to concrete. What trimmer edges don't do is take chips out of the concrete.

Me too! Edger = waste of time and money.

topsites
05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
There is no way your way of edgeing will be more crisp than a stick edger. On the other hand if that is the way you want to do it thats fine. As long as you are happy and your customers are happy that is all that matters.

Well I use an angle on my trimmer that leaves a 45-60 degree edge on any lawn, and I got over 2000 yards under my belt. No I never use an edger except for mulch because it's much easier than using a shovel and yes, an edger is a big waste of time.

And yes, I can run my trimmer with either hand, as fast as I can walk and I can move so fast that the echo's engine will choke and shut off due to overload just because too much trim for the string, lol.

Edgers are for people who don't know how to weed-eat just like floating decks are for folk who don't know how to cut grass.

grasswhacker
05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
By using an edger for edging. Or, get REALLY good with a line trimmer. Practice Practice Practice It takes time to learn. An edger is faster and leaves a tighter edge, it will set you apart from the others.

and if your REALLY, REALLY good you can walk forward or backwards. FYI :cool2:

topsites
05-17-2005, 08:24 AM

Yeah like the aggregate driveways.

ElephantNest
05-17-2005, 08:41 AM
I walk backwards using the trimmer to edge. (sometimes forward) I can out-edge anyone with an edger, and looks just as good, if not better, with WAY less clean up, trimmers don't toss up all the dirt that edgers do.

I have a Shin stick edger that just sits in the garage. As for "not as crisp of an edge", BS, the Shin 230 leaves a very fine cut for edging. If it is overgrown, I use the 260 or 270. Get er done!

It's hilarious watching other LCO's stop and watch me, sometimes in awe. They will be on a job, with 2 or 3 people, across from one of my jobs, and they've already began. I usually am in and out before them, even starting later, and by myself. I can almost hear the guys chewing out their workers. lol

gl1200a
05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
............... Nevermind

FERT-TEK
05-17-2005, 11:37 AM
do a search on here for "edgit" and go to www.edgit.com

I have an edgit edging and gtrimming guide on both my trimmers. It won't cut an overgrown edge like a blade but it's great for maintaining edges.
I am with you Paul J! I have used one for a couple years and this thing works great and is much quicker than people think. I also think that it leaves an edge as good as a stick edger or walk behind edger. Thanks for posting your reply, I ccouldn't remember the name of it though.

Cut-Rite2
05-17-2005, 03:58 PM
I started about 2 months ago and was using a string trimmer. I could do a pretty good edge with it, but the trimmer was turning the grass brown and sometimes the trimmer would grab and tear up the groove next to the concrete and throw up a ton of dirt and dust. 2 weeks ago I got an Echo Power Edger, and I will not go back! Now edges are near perfect and I can do them twice as fast, and I don't have to breathe all that dirt that gets thown in the air.

Precision
05-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Bottom line is if you want justification to use your trimmer, then by all means you have my absolution. Practice, Practice, PRACTICE and you might get better and faster than me with an edger.

BUT, when you expand your business and want the newbie to do the edging, are you going to be willing to wait (burn up clients lawns) until he learns how to do it properly. Edgers are really easy to use and get a good clean cut. Can you do a better job with a trimmer, maybe. Can you do it quicker, maybe. Can a new kid do it just like that on day one. NO. But he can with an edger.

And that is why many of us chose an edger over a string trimmer. We can to be able to take a day off, expand the business, get some employees doing the dirty work.

If you are solo and want to stay that way, I say don't even bother with a mower on lawns with less than 5000 ft sq. Just buy and line trimmer and do the mowing, edging, line trimming, and if you are really good you can even let out some extra string and use it as a blower.

DennisF
05-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Edgers don't chip concrete...careless operators do.

I don't care how good someone is with a trimmer. You'll never cut an edge as clean and straight as stick edger. Ain't gonna happen!

That's why they make edgers...for edging. Trimmers are for trimming.

gl1200a
05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
You're all missing the point here. Between some of you that are just showing your testosterone levels by laying out your vast experience and skill level and the others telling me how poor I am by using a trimmer to do the job of an edger and missing the point all together.

I have a professional edger. What I want to know is this... On a daily basis..when you edge your sidewalk I know some have a technique by holding the trimmer upside down or something to give a great straight up and down edge in between truly edging the sidewalk. What I have been doing is holding the trimmer to give the sidewalk a 45 degree angle and it doesn't look as professional as I would like. I've started trying to hold the trimmer upside down and I do so-so on an attempt to give the edge a true 90 degree crisp line until the line tends to start wandering and being pulled off into the grass away from the sidewalk edge on it's own .

Any ideas? Thanks.

DennisF
05-17-2005, 07:57 PM
You're all missing the point here. Between some of you that are just showing your testosterone levels by laying out your vast experience and skill level and the others telling me how poor I am by using a trimmer to do the job of an edger and missing the point all together.

I have a professional edger. What I want to know is this... On a daily basis..when you edge your sidewalk I know some have a technique by holding the trimmer upside down or something to give a great straight up and down edge in between truly edging the sidewalk. What I have been doing is holding the trimmer to give the sidewalk a 45 degree angle and it doesn't look as professional as I would like. I've started trying to hold the trimmer upside down and I do so-so on an attempt to give the edge a true 90 degree crisp line until the line tends to start wandering and being pulled off into the grass away from the sidewalk edge on it's own .

Any ideas? Thanks.

Your original post asked how to leave a crisp edge with a trimmer. If you want a clean, crisp, straight edge...use an edger.

You can believe what you want about LCO's producing edges with a trimmer that are better than a stick edger. If you have any common sense at all...you can figure out which tool does a better job. It ain't rocket science.

The C Man
05-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Any ideas?
Your question was answered in posts 8&9.

ElephantNest
05-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Your original post asked how to leave a crisp edge with a trimmer. If you want a clean, crisp, straight edge...use an edger.

You can believe what you want about LCO's producing edges with a trimmer that are better than a stick edger. If you have any common sense at all...you can figure out which tool does a better job. It ain't rocket science.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. Jeeze

And no, it isn't rocket science.....flip it over, keep the line straight up and down, walk slowly enough to keep it perfectly aligned with the edge. As you do it more often, you'll get quicker.

gl1200a
05-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Thank you, Elephant... thank you...thank you...thank you.

Norm

DennisF
05-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. Jeeze

And no, it isn't rocket science.....flip it over, keep the line straight up and down, walk slowly enough to keep it perfectly aligned with the edge. As you do it more often, you'll get quicker.

It's not a question of ability to do it. It's the results that count.

String trimmers cannot produce the same quality edge as a stick edger. Can't happen. If they did... edgers wouldn't have a steel blade as the cutting tool. Now.. here comes the rocket science part.

Trimmers leave a ragged edge that turns brown in a day or two. No amount of technique or practice can change that.

I've edged lawns for years using both tools and nothing can produce the same edge that a stick edger can. It just takes a few more minutes to use the right tool.

If you or the customer doesn't care about brown edges on their lawn..then by all means use a trimmer.

The only reason for edging with a trimmer is to save a trip to the trailer to get the right tool.

Ryan Lightning
05-17-2005, 09:51 PM
I think the trick to being able to go fast and have the string follow the sidewalk is in the way you hold it and the direction you walk.
Left hand on the throtle right hand on the handle, weedeater upside down, and walk counter clockwise. Also when I trim what ever the mower missed, I hold my hands in the same spots and walk the same dirrection, I can quickly flip the weedeater over to trim a corner and go back to edging fast. Also when you trim counter clockwise it throws all the grass in the lawn and not into the flowerbed are side walk.
The string will follow the sidewalk and tend not to cut into the lawn because the way the head is spinning, Go the other way and the string wants to cut into the lawn.

ed2hess
05-17-2005, 10:01 PM

The stick edger doesn't leave a good appearance on bermuda depending on when you edge relative to the mower going past. For that reason I would say 95% of us in our area make two passes with trimmer. We edge on one pass and cut a slight bevel on the second pass. We hoped we could save a second pass with stick but it didn't work.

BCSteel
05-17-2005, 10:07 PM
I have never had an edge go brown with a trimmer.

Dennis F, if you could see past your own ego and vanity you might be able to fathom what others are saying about maintaining an edge with a trimmer.

DennisF
05-17-2005, 11:15 PM
I have never had an edge go brown with a trimmer.

Dennis F, if you could see past your own ego and vanity you might be able to fathom what others are saying about maintaining an edge with a trimmer.

Must have strange grass in BC.

They make edgers for a reason. Some LCO's haven't figured that out yet.

dishboy
05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Edgers don't chip concrete...careless operators do.

I don't care how good someone is with a trimmer. You'll never cut an edge as clean and straight as stick edger. Ain't gonna happen!

That's why they make edgers...for edging. Trimmers are for trimming.

I do it all the time, keep practicing, Just maybe you might get good enough to join the elusive club of real professional operators. I can also peel a apple with my shindiawa....................

DennisF
05-17-2005, 11:49 PM
I do it all the time, keep practicing, Just maybe you might get good enough to join the elusive club of real professional operators. I can also peel a apple with my shindiawa....................

Professionals use the proper tools for the job at hand. Amateurs don't know the difference.

I can peel a grape with my ZTR.

ElephantNest
05-17-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, this isn't my first week cutting. If I left brown spots from the trimmer, I wouldn't use it. So......obviously, YOU getting brown spots when YOU use the trimmer, doesn't equal me getting the same results. I'd say someone is doing it wrong.

Yes, I have a McClane edger, and a shin stick edger for the tough jobs, overgrown ones, or ones with mile long edge, but for every day use, you can have 'em.

DennisF
05-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Well, this isn't my first week cutting. If I left brown spots from the trimmer, I wouldn't use it. So......obviously, YOU getting brown spots when YOU use the trimmer, doesn't equal me getting the same results. I'd say someone is doing it wrong.

Yes, I have a McClane edger, and a shin stick edger for the tough jobs, overgrown ones, or ones with mile long edge, but for every day use, you can have 'em.

You're like the LCO that cuts his lawns with dull blades and blames the customer for not watering. They're all over Florida. Most of the south as well.

Unfortunately for the rednecks down here....the customer is changing. They are no longer dumb-ass hicks from the bayou, but educated Yankees that like to have their lawn look good.

Keep thinking...it'll come to you.

The C Man
05-18-2005, 04:09 AM
They make edgers for a reason.
They make (build) everything for a reason - "if you build it they will come."

I've never gotten a brown edge using my trimmer either. If trimmers using plastic line are so undesirable, why don't trimmers use steel blades?

nobagger
05-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Gl I used a trimmer for the longest time for edging everything and did well with it but this season bought a Echo stick edger and man what a difference in quality! On bigger flat surfaces I used our push edger and the quality was night and day but it often was a hassel trying to push it in some places. So this season we invested in a stick edger and haven't regreted it yet!

DennisF
05-18-2005, 06:14 AM
If trimmers using plastic line are so undesirable, why don't trimmers use steel blades?

Could be a weight factor. Centrifugal force figures in to the equation. Think about it. How is the tool to be used?

But then again...maybe the engineers that design these tools anticipate that the average idiot has a tendency to mis-use them. Could be safety.

Try using a stick edger like a trimmer. Maybe it will come to you.

ElephantNest
05-18-2005, 08:00 AM
You're like the LCO that cuts his lawns with dull blades and blames the customer for not watering. They're all over Florida. Most of the south as well.

Unfortunately for the rednecks down here....the customer is changing. They are no longer dumb-ass hicks from the bayou, but educated Yankees that like to have their lawn look good.

Keep thinking...it'll come to you.

Whatever, I can understand that by trying to make me look dumb and backwoods, you think it makes you look SO much better. LOL

Keep dreaming, it is merely showing your ignorance. Now go play little boy.

DennisF
05-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Whatever, I can understand that by trying to make me look dumb and backwoods, you think it makes you look SO much better. LOL

Keep dreaming, it is merely showing your ignorance. Now go play little boy.

I'm not trying to make you or anyone else look dumb or backwoods. Just trying to get other LCO's to think.

Ask yourself a couple of simple questions.

If you have an employee and you trained him to deliberately mis-use a trimmer as an edger and that employee was injured while doing so....would your workers comp insurance pay? Should they have to pay because of your negligence?

Could the employee sue you personally because you instructed him to mis-use a tool?

Why don't trimmer manuals instruct the operator to use it like an edger?

The C Man
05-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Try using a stick edger like a trimmer. Maybe it will come to you.
That's just silly. It's impossible to take a stick edger with a vertically spinning blade and hold it so the blade spins in a horizontal plane.

Centrifugal force figures in to the equation.
How? I'm talking about a hypothetical trimmer with a steel blade that spins in the horizontal plane... like a lawn mower. If using a trimmer to edge leaves the grass brown, why doesn't it do the same thing when using it as a trimmer?

Just to be sure my position is understood, I'm not suggesting using a trimmer on an overgrown property to create the initial edge, but to maintain it once the edge/groove is put there by an edger.

What do you think of the results shown on edgit.com?

DennisF
05-18-2005, 12:06 PM
That's just silly. It's impossible to take a stick edger with a vertically spinning blade and hold it so the blade spins in a horizontal plane.

How? I'm talking about a hypothetical trimmer with a steel blade that spins in the horizontal plane... like a lawn mower. If using a trimmer to edge leaves the grass brown, why doesn't it do the same thing when using it as a trimmer?

Just to be sure my position is understood, I'm not suggesting using a trimmer on an overgrown property to create the initial edge, but to maintain it once the edge/groove is put there by an edger.

If you rotate the edger 90 degrees...the blade is spinning counterclockwise in a horizontal plane. Not very practical, but certainly not impossible.

As far as the edgit tool is concerned...I've used them before and they don't measure up to a stick edger.

I'd like to see the disclaimer that the company uses in their literature. It's not on their website, but it probably states that they will not be responsible for injuries or death resulting from the mis-use of the power tool that their product is attached to. There is nothing to prevent the trimmer from launching debris at bullet speeds.

No thanks. I'll use my tools the way they were intended to be used.

BCSteel
05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Must have strange grass in BC.

They make edgers for a reason. Some LCO's haven't figured that out yet.

Thanks for proving my point :rolleyes:

DennisF
05-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks for proving my point :rolleyes:

No problem. Hey...anytime you're confused and need some instruction...shoot me PM.

Shelman Yard works
05-18-2005, 06:21 PM
No problem. Hey...anytime you're confused and need some instruction...shoot me PM.

AMEN:

I have paid for both a trimmer and an edger. You bet your @ss Iím going to have my moneyís worth. Plus my belly sure could use that walk back to the trailer. There is nothing like burning a couple of pounds off to look good for the ladies are there?
:dizzy:

BCSteel
05-18-2005, 08:26 PM

It would seem I need your advice like you need a lap dance from MR.T.

txlawnking
05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
I too have strong feelings about this subject, but not due to pride. I CAN maintain a nice edge with a trimmer, but I choose not to. As a few folks on here have already said, they don't manufacture edgers just for giggles. I just believe edgeing with a steel blade leaves a cleaner edge, and lessens the skill level to attain the nice edge.

Even if YOU are a master with a trimmer, are your hard working and hurried employee's just as good??

Case in point: My ( now former ) employers guys had been maintaining some of his properties for several seasons with trimmers, they had eventually developed that nasty 1/2" to 2" wide edge.... he claimed that his customers liked it that way.. 2 months after I began forcing the crews to use their edgers, he began to get e-mails complementing us on how great the edges looked, "All nice and tight with the edge of the concrete".....

BryPaulD
05-18-2005, 09:06 PM
I use a walk behind edger for edging. I sure like the tough cut defined sharp edge. Looks sharp and I get a lot of compliments. I use the string trimmer around asphalt. I also found that using the string triimmer to edge really eats up the trimmer line fast.

Precision
05-18-2005, 11:37 PM

when you cut across the blade you leave one seam. The cut seam across the width of the grass blade. When you edge with your trimmer, you cut lengthwise down the blades and leave jagged scraggly turf that dies AND turns brown.

I have a trimmer with a steel blade on it. it is called a brush blade. To be used for cutting down brush that a line wouldn't take care of.

The real reason that trimmers don't come with steel blades like edgers is the rpm the heads run at. Trimmer has to be at least double. It is a torque thing for the edger.

DennisF
05-19-2005, 12:19 AM
when you cut across the blade you leave one seam. The cut seam across the width of the grass blade. When you edge with your trimmer, you cut lengthwise down the blades and leave jagged scraggly turf that dies AND turns brown.

I have a trimmer with a steel blade on it. it is called a brush blade. To be used for cutting down brush that a line wouldn't take care of.

The real reason that trimmers don't come with steel blades like edgers is the rpm the heads run at. Trimmer has to be at least double. It is a torque thing for the edger.

Well said Precision. Hopefully some of the new guys will learn to use the right tool for the job at hand. Some of them are too lazy to go back to the trailer and get the right tool.

If they don't...they'll never know what the term professional means.

That would truly be a shame, since this industry needs all the pro's that it can get.

The C Man
05-19-2005, 03:43 AM
when you cut across the blade you leave one seam, the cut seam across the width of the grass blade. When you edge with your trimmer, you cut lengthwise down the blades and leave jagged scraggly turf that dies AND turns brown.
I see your point, but I disagree that that's what's happening. When I maintain an edge with the trimmer, the edge/groove is already there, so the only grass that's being cut is the grass that's growing sideways, so it's still being cut across the blade.

gl1200a
05-19-2005, 05:14 PM
I see I have created a Beast with an evil soul all it's own.

DennisF
05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
2 years in business eh Dense F... explains a lot right there.

Been doing it for 32 years. Started in Michigan in 1973 while I worked full time at General Motors. I made truck engines from 5:00AM to 1:00PM...6 days per week. After a day of building engines I cut grass until 7:00. That was part time and I usually cut 30-35 lawns per week.

Now I'm retired living on a UAW/GM pension and cutting grass full-time here in Florida. Doing 65 lawns now. This is my third year in the Sunshine State. I'll probably do it until I'm 60 then spend the rest of my retirement in the Bahamas. Life is good!

Maybe that better explains my bio.

Charles
05-19-2005, 06:47 PM
7 post are gone, Stop the Bickering or this thread will be closed

DennisF
05-19-2005, 06:52 PM
7 post are gone, Stop the Bickering or this thread will be closed

I agree. It has really become a silly discussion.

I'm finished with it.

all ferris
05-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Close it. I can't believe I wasted my time reading all the posts.

Lawn-Scapes
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Dennis... see picture.

Edger or trimmer? Professional or amateur?

pagefault
05-19-2005, 11:37 PM
The picture is not close or clear enough to answer my questions.

Lawn-Scapes
05-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Are you kidding me?

pagefault
05-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Not at all.

I'll try to get some posted tomorrow.

pagefault
05-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Let's see how these work...

Here are three blades cut with string and three cut with a blade.

I don't think any technique will fix this.

pagefault
05-20-2005, 12:03 AM
Camera's not very good for macro work, but you get the idea.

ElephantNest
05-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Let's see how these work...

Here are three blades cut with string and three cut with a blade.

I don't think any technique will fix this.

Try using a 270 instead of the little 231, and you'll get much more RPM and a much cleaner cut. And the type of string you use plays a key role.

BTW, NICE edge, LScapes, perfectly clear enough to see it looks professionally done, period.

pagefault
05-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Maybe. It'll be a long time before I upgrade my equipment. Interesting though, that this variable never came up in any of the discussions before. Up until now, if you couldn't get a clean edge with a trimmer, you had to be ******ed or uncoordinated.

Maybe there are other variables too. Maybe the type of grass plays a role.

I'm sure not going to apologize for using an edger. Not on the same board where scrubs are trashed for not buying every high dollar piece of equipment under the sun.

pagefault
05-20-2005, 12:26 AM
As for "not as crisp of an edge", BS, the Shin 230 leaves a very fine cut for edging.

WTF????

I thought the jagged cut was due to the inferiority of the 230/231??????

gramps
05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
and if your REALLY, REALLY good you can walk forward or backwards. FYI :cool2:
And chew gum? :p

BryPaulD
05-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Old craftsman steel blade walk behind edger.

burns60
05-21-2005, 12:19 AM
New poster here. Have enjoyed reading all of these tips and opinions and so I registered and now I will enjoy putting in my "two cents worth".

My first question. IN using the trimmer like an edger, as you are walking, are you walking on the sidewalk or the grass? Also, when I have tried the upside down 1/2 throttle method I find that it breaks the line very quickly. I really don't see how you can do this as accurately as with an edger.

ElephantNest
05-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Walk on sidewalk, trimmer upside down, FULL throttle. Sometimes I will walk on the grass if there is a car or window in line with the debris. In other words, if there is a car parked in the driveway, and walking on the sidewalk would point the business end of the trimmer towards the car, start from the other side and walk on the grass.

Oh, and those pics of edging from the craftsman edger looks browner than ANY yard I've ever edged with my trimmer.

And yes, walk backwards, forwards, whatever is quickest for the situation.

BryPaulD
05-21-2005, 05:10 PM
you can actually see the side view of grass down to dirt. And notice the two to three inch dirt line out onto concrete from where the lawn was grown over.

TPnTX
05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm going to double post here. I replied to another thread before I saw this one.

I thinking about buying a stick edger.

I have a WB that I've owned for years and it's always worked great until recently. Now I get no spark from the briggs motor.

So I should probably get that thing fixed instead of spend the cash of stick edger?

I got a lot of edging to do and I'm tired tired of using the line trimmer. That's just me I'd rather use an edger for edging. Toaster for toast.

ElephantNest
05-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Stick edgers work great, mine does, though rarely used. I had a yard that was a LONG edge on the street, I brought the Shin LE260 stick edger every time for that sucker.

gl1200a
05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
For God's Sake.. close this. None of the information is advice, but a few. Most all of it is strictly testosterone.