PDA

View Full Version : Redmax Trimmer Question

rookie03
05-17-2005, 12:10 AM
How often do you replace the Cap on the Redmax Trimmers? We're running the BCZ2600S. Used the trimmers about a month and a half and the cap is wearing through. Dealer said they don't wear much. How's everyone elses Redmax Trimmer running?

Appalachian landscape
05-17-2005, 01:42 AM
what cap? gas cap?

Lawn Wolf
05-17-2005, 01:48 AM
I think he means the line cap, I guess it's called a spool as well .

Appalachian landscape
05-17-2005, 02:04 AM
stop burning the grass to the ground then. :rolleyes: you don't need to drag the head on the ground.

Lawnworks
05-17-2005, 02:11 AM
stop burning the grass to the ground then. :rolleyes: you don't need to drag the head on the ground.

Actually, if you are putting hours on your trimmers you will have to replace the spools frequently. Hopefully this means you are billing out for mucho man hours! We keep 5-7 spools strung up and ready to go in the works trucks at all times. This spreads the wear pretty evenly, but in 2-3 months they all need replacing. Keep wearin 'em out and billin 'em out!

Mowingman
05-17-2005, 09:17 AM
We use 3 Redmax trimmers every day, 5 days/week. About half the use is trimming residential properties. The other half is on very rough municipal and industrial sites. Each trimmer gets a new spool about every two months. Each one gets two spool covers/year. We mow 10 months/year.
You should not be eating up spools or spool covers that quickly. sounds like operator error, trying to trim into the dirt and gravel.
We are also Redmax dealers. I am amazed at how long the spools and covers last. We sure do not sell many replacements to our customers in a years time.

gogetter
05-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Wait a minute, doesn't Redmax have a metal insert in their bump buttons just for this reason???? Mine does.

Are you using the Redmax brand head (the red ones)?

Mowingman
05-17-2005, 09:12 PM
You are correct, they do have a metal insert in the tap and go button. However, all the commercial grade heads are black, like those on the 2600 and 2400 trimmers. I think the red head only comes on the split boom, and maybe some of the homeowner machines. Of course, they have some heads we do not carry, so maybe others are red also.

gogetter
05-17-2005, 11:51 PM
However, all the commercial grade heads are black, like those on the 2600 and 2400 trimmers. I think the red head only comes on the split boom, and maybe some of the homeowner machines.

Oops, I got confused. I have a different trimmer (a Robin) that has a red head.
But your right, my 2400 Redmax has a black head and the metal insert on the the tap button.

rookie03
05-18-2005, 01:18 AM
The cap is Redmax, black with metal insert. We probably put more hours on the trimmers than some people put on their mowers. It's not operator error. It's called using the trimmers 40+ hours a week. I just didn't know if anyone else had the same problem. Sounds like for those who use their trimmers frequently replace them every month or two. I know some ppl probably don't use their trimmers much so they never need to be replaced regularly. We're not mowing for 35 mins and trimming for 4 minutes. We're running the trimmers constantly while the mowers are running. I just thought the cap might last longer since it's metal on the end. The Stihl trimmer caps are holding up better than the Redmax caps.

Lawnworks
05-18-2005, 01:29 AM
The cap is Redmax, black with metal insert. We probably put more hours on the trimmers than some people put on their mowers. It's not operator error. It's called using the trimmers 40+ hours a week. I just didn't know if anyone else had the same problem. Sounds like for those who use their trimmers frequently replace them every month or two. I know some ppl probably don't use their trimmers much so they never need to be replaced regularly. We're not mowing for 35 mins and trimming for 4 minutes. We're running the trimmers constantly while the mowers are running. I just thought the cap might last longer since it's metal on the end. The Stihl trimmer caps are holding up better than the Redmax caps.

Damn right man... I really think that metal insert doesn't do ****. Down here we mow at 2-3 inches so we eat our spools up! Maybe up north where some of you guys are cutting higher they might last longer, but in my area we have to cut closer w/ these inferior grasses that don't even stripe! We actually just switched from Redmax to Stihl b/c I have come to really dislike Redmax. I don't what it is but if it is a Redmax handheld, the bolts will all fall out at some point. So far I am happier w/ stihl. The stihl spools seem to last just as long as the metal Redmax ones also. wtf?