PDA

View Full Version : Customer Threats to make name mud due to tardiness

RoyalZ
05-17-2005, 07:50 AM
My residential customer lawn was 11 days uncut and grass was high. I have a customer who has chosen to handle his lack of service by threatening to make my name mud in the Home Owners Association Board, ask for his money back and approach me with a side arm trigger unlocked during discussions. First email I received: "Service is needed pretty bad on my lawn. Please complete that by Tuesday. You never came back to do my hill in the back and it now stands over 1 foot tall. To tell you the truth I was a little embarrassed to tell my friend yesterday that I pay a lawn service to take care of my yard. Considering you live right down the street I didn't think I'd have to ask you to service my lawn every time." i responded by saying " It seems that I have too much to do to provide quality service for your yard. I mow lawns on the weekends as a method of gaining extra income. This is what I will do for you as a service. I will mow, trim edge and blow ASAP. Then I will return to my desk and make some decisions. " THEN he responded by email "Considering I pre-pay you for a service, that doesn't get done, I'd either like the service performed as agreed upon or I want my money back and services terminated. Your poor business performance will be noted on our HOA web site, and spread around the neighborhood by word of mouth as well. I know you just do this for extra income... but that's no excuse for taking customers money in advance, then complaining that you have too much to do to perform the service. Maybe you should try something else for extra income." When I went to his house he had a side arm at the ready...SHOULD I DUMP THIS GUY? or handle it professionally and continue service?

Fire/Grass
05-17-2005, 07:56 AM
I don't want to cause a pissing match but honestly, I think you all ready lost on handling it professionally! Just my opinion on what you posted

RoyalZ
05-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Probably so...I am trying to learn the discipline of professionalism vs getting my feelings hurt by comments inetneded to solicit a response.

packerbacker
05-17-2005, 08:14 AM
I would go do it and then give his money back for the rest of the year. To be honest what you posted makes you look very bad. You basically admitted to taking money yet not finishing a job.

PROCUT1
05-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Not for nothing..............But I cant see anywhere I disagree with this customer....

topsites
05-17-2005, 08:16 AM
When I went to his house he had a side arm at the ready...SHOULD I DUMP THIS GUY? or handle it professionally and continue service?

WTF is a side arm, you mean a gun?
To me that's a call to the police, lock'm up.
But yeah, you shouldn't be playing the pro game if you cut on the weekends then you are doing this on the side, and that is amateur.

Texas Mowem
05-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Here is a great quote that might help you.

Rule of Thumb #102- It is the LCO duty to get the job done at the agreed upon price before starting the job.

With that being said I would have mowed twice to make the customer happy. Then deliver a statement of policies that clearly state the affects of tall grass and double cutting etc.

Lesson: Customers need to hear one price or have terms spelled out in writing.

RoyalZ
05-17-2005, 08:30 AM
LOL... I that is hillarious! ...Did I write that? Yes I did... and in fact I am in search of a policies and procedures document to hand to my customers at the get go? Any one have this they would like to share with me? please email it to me at grassgroomers@carolina.rr.com

RoyalZ
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
I am a fully licensed Landscape professional who holds two fulltime jobs and find doing this on the weekends is NEVER the case. Every morning and afternoon you could find me out doing lawns and advising for FREE to customers who do NOT threaten me or my organization.

RoyalZ
05-17-2005, 08:36 AM
We completed lawn service the same day customer sent email then I went back to customer face to face and asked "how do you want to handle this agreement? He stated he is satisfied with just keeping the lawn cut and it does not have to be perfect but cut on a timely basis. So we agreed to communicate more often by cellphone and email and test the rest of the month. At the end of the month we will re-decide what the best course of action will be to split and move on or continue service in a mutual manner.

PROCUT1
05-17-2005, 08:44 AM
My residential customer lawn was 11 days uncut and grass was high.
SOUNDS LIKE A LEGIT COMPLAINT

I have a customer who has chosen to handle his lack of service by threatening to make my name mud in the Home Owners Association Board, ask for his money back and approach me with a side arm trigger unlocked during discussions.

First email I received: "Service is needed pretty bad on my lawn. Please complete that by Tuesday. You never came back to do my hill in the back and it now stands over 1 foot tall. To tell you the truth I was a little embarrassed to tell my friend yesterday that I pay a lawn service to take care of my yard.
I WOULD BE EMBARRASSED TOO IF I WERE THE LCO

Considering you live right down the street I didn't think I'd have to ask you to service my lawn every time.
I WOULDENT THINK SO EITHER

" i responded by saying " It seems that I have too much to do to provide quality service for your yard.
AND THIS IS THE CLIENTS FAULT?

I mow lawns on the weekends as a method of gaining extra income.
WE ALL LOVE THE SCRUB WORD......... THIS SAYS IT IN BOLD

This is what I will do for you as a service. I will mow, trim edge and blow ASAP. Then I will return to my desk and make some decisions.
DECISIONS???? YOUR ONE OF A MILLION LAWN GUYS AND HE IS SUPPOSED TO BEG YOU TO SERVICE HIS PROPERTY AND DO A BAD JOB ON TOP OF IT?

" THEN he responded by email "Considering I pre-pay you for a service, that doesn't get done, I'd either like the service performed as agreed upon or I want my money back and services terminated.
I USUALLY LIKE TO GET WHAT I PAY FOR ,,,I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU

Your poor business performance will be noted on our HOA web site, and spread around the neighborhood by word of mouth as well.
OK MAYBE A LITTLE OVER THE TOP

I know you just do this for extra income... but that's no excuse for taking customers money in advance, then complaining that you have too much to do to perform the service.
COULDENT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF

Maybe you should try something else for extra income." When I went to his house he had a side arm at the ready...SHOULD I DUMP THIS GUY? or handle it professionally and continue service?

DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT A SIDEARM READY.....I CARRY A GUN.....ITS ALWAYS READY BUT IN NY WE KEEP CONCEALED.....MAYBE DIFFERENT WHERE YOU ARE

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-17-2005, 09:02 AM
To me it sounds like you need to honor your agreements. This customer seems to have a legit beef with you. Unless you could not perform the service do to inclement weather, you need to get over there and do it on the agreed upon days. You got no one to blame but yourself if your name gets trashed in your neighborhood. Here is a helpful hint, never work in your neighborhood to begin with.

olderthandirt
05-17-2005, 09:10 AM
This thread is ridiculous, sound like someone's lacking attention! That might be rule #103 :dizzy: :dizzy: :laugh:

BCSteel
05-17-2005, 09:21 AM
RoyalZ, I dont see where you have any argument against this customer. It would appear that he has pre paid for the year? or maybe just the month, no matter. You didnt show up to do the agreed upon work and now your getting all pissy because he's making a fuss? When you learn how to run a business properly, come back with a real complaint. The only pita in this story is you by providing poor service.

ChadA
05-17-2005, 09:49 AM
I still don't get what the sidearm was for. Was he going to shoot you for not cutting his yard.

Pro-Scapes
05-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Man I wouldn't even post this if I were royalz. All I really gathered from it is....
1 you took the guys money and didn't do the work(ripped him off)

2 you already got 2 full time jobs and your looking to make extra money(not making enough with 2 jobs? Try moving to a smaller house)

3 you got no business ethics.

Don't spread yourself to thin or before long your gonna find out you can't find any work! He may of been out of line with the gun but I'm having a hard time beiliving that part anyways.

RKISTNER1
05-17-2005, 10:33 AM
This thread is making me dizzy. Was the guy packing or what?