PDA

View Full Version : $$ for eding?

jtrice11
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
What do you guys charge to edge walkways and/or driveways etc...? Do you charge per foot? Just time? I've got a big edging job to do and am not sure what or how to charge. Any suggestions on a good edger?

gwwilson
05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
sears makes one
paid $250 years ago........... and i love it.......

mastercare
05-17-2005, 02:24 PM
When cutting a lawn, I usually do edging every other week and include it in the price of cutting.

If you're looking to do just edging....is it a one time job or something you need to maintain? If its a one time job, I would figure out how long it will take you, and charge an hourly rate. I have a minimum charge of 1 hour for jobs like that.

The edger I use is a Shindaiwa LE260 stick edger. You can buy the more expensive walk-behind models, but if you don't yet own an edger, it doesn't sound like that would be a wise investment for one job!!!

I suggest edging with the power edger, then using a flat bladed shovel to scrape away the extra sod that you "cut off" That works much better than picking it by hand. Once you've scraped it all away, run the edger through the crack one more time before you leave to give it a cleaner edger.

Once oyu have an edge, it can be maintained every 2 weeks, and will edge as fast as you can walk. IT's the first time that kills ya.

After writing all this I hope you were referring to edging concrete/curbs rather than landscape beds....otherwise ignore this reply!

Cimarron Landscape
05-17-2005, 02:52 PM
I agree completely. Definately take a flat shovel with you. It doesn't work to blow it back into the grass...also, don't edge if the soil is moist. It clogs up in the guard and you have to stop every 20' and clean it out.
I use a stick edger. If it's a real big job, you might want a walk behind, it's just not as versatile. The trade off on the stick edger is that your arm gets real tired after half a mile or so. :rolleyes:
As for pricing, I just include it into the price of the lawn. I don't break down the cost of a mow per item, it's all one big item, since none of it can be excluded. If you are just edging, nothing else, you could do hourly, as was suggested above.
Good luck!
~Brian

jtrice11
05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Its a one time deal for this large townhouse complex I maintain. They want it ALL edged, I'm definately going to need a power edger and I'll build the cost of it into my bid. I'm guessing it would take 3 guys a full day to edge the entire complex. I guess I could figure out and hourly rate, I was just wondering if there is a "standard" price per yard or foot.

surfisher211
05-17-2005, 03:06 PM
same here i edge as part of the service, unless it is really over grown then i charge 25 cents a foot extra for the first edge.

ColePyck
05-17-2005, 09:27 PM
just did a edging job the other day, she signed up for fert and wanted her sidewalks and drive edged, it was a cenitpeded spreading grass so it was kinda over grown. I charged .19 per linear foot, she had 250ft which came to be like 50 bucks or somthing, it wasnt bad, took me probably 45 minutes to edge and cleanup.

jtrice11
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
The price seems to be between 15-25 cents a foot. I think I'll split it down the middle and charge 20 cents a foot. I believe there is roughly 11,000 linear feet of edging to do on this job. I will pray long and hard that we can get it done in a day.

Runner
05-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Is there overgrowth that you will be removing as a strip? Here's a good tip: The best thing that works for this, after cutting the strip (if their is one), is a Hula hoe (no, not a Hawaiian hooker). This is also known as a "scuffle hoe" It has the square open loop on it. This just glides along (scuffling back and forth as you go) and cuts thematerial away from the cement and off the existing sod at the same time. You can then just use, flat shovels, brooms, etc. to pick the stuff up (different conditions - different things work better at different times).

jtrice11
05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Where would I find a Hula hoe?

stewd
05-04-2009, 11:35 PM
in hawaii of course