PDA

View Full Version : what do i do

Mowerboy04
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
ok first i pick up two new lawns there right next to each other the one guy is a great customer, but the other say that i haven't cut his lawn yet this year. so far i have cut his lawn 4 times, now every time i try to call him or i got knock on the door no one answers or no one returens my calls. i only got one call form him when he siad i haven't cut yet. so next thing i know all the funiture is gone out of the house.what do i do??? do i stop cutting or do i keep cutting till he contackts me?
don't mind the spelling
alex

Toy2
05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Stop cutting, unless you have a contract signed.....other wise you doing it for free......it sounds like you might be out some $$....

fel
05-17-2005, 07:34 PM
Definately stop cutting, sounds like this guy has not intention of paying, he was probably moving anyway and was just getting some free cuts, it's unfortunate but it happens

Cimarron Landscape
05-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Sorry to say...it's a no-brainer. Stop.
Fortunately I haven't had anyone refuse to pay me. Most of my customers remind me :)
Good luck...hope you aren't out too much :)
Makes you wonder though if people think they can take advantage of us that are minors...it's frustrating. I've had people tell me my prices are too high, trying to get a good deal, but I'm one of the least expensive in the area. :rolleyes: oh well.
~Brian

ALarsh
05-17-2005, 08:24 PM
How long do they have to pay you? My agreement is invoices are sent out at the end of the month and are due back with in 15 days. If they are past their 15 day pay period we stop cutting.

out4now
05-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Stop everything! Unless this is a charity lawn. He should have made some sort of attempt to notify you of what is going on. You're working for free.

Mowerboy04
05-17-2005, 08:27 PM
i bill at the end of the month and they have 15 days to pay and it hasen't been 15 days yet i was going to cut it once more then i'm done

DennisF
05-17-2005, 08:29 PM
The furniture is gone?

What does that tell you?

He's gone too!!

jpp
05-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Do not cut the lawn again. He will not pay you. He has moved out.

riches139
05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
You're not earning a boatload of money that way! :cry:

Eddie B
05-17-2005, 08:46 PM
With any new customer, the first bill is weekly, 2nd bill is bi-weekly, and then we go monthly unless the customer wants to stay weekly or bi-weekly. Thats how we run.

sheshovel
05-17-2005, 08:55 PM
For 1 thing get paid for the 1st month of cuts up front if you can,tell them that buys them into your schedual.Then bill after that.Too bad people are that low to run out on paying for hard work done on faith.

pjslawncare/landscap
05-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey Mowerboy, if I were u, I certainly would not cut it any longer and I would leave a messeg on his answering machine or mail a letter to his address expressing your concerns about his not contacting u and his home becoming unoccupied. U are not being unreasonable to be very concerned about not getting paid for what u already have invested and the curcumstances he presents. If he doesnt pat u for what you already did, sue him in your local court system. He wont want to come back to fight that if he moved very far away.

SCAG POWER
05-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Lats season i gave the bills out the third week at the customers house, and would pick up the check on the fourth week during their cuts.

This season its pay on the first of the month, you have to pay to play. The days are crowded and to have a set day and a reasonable time frame that i will be there . payup :waving: :waving:

proenterprises
05-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Mowerboy-stop everything. I would say he is gone. Certainly do not do any more work, and try and track this deadbeat down. If the property has not been sold, you can place a lien against it.

Exactly how much does he owe you right now?

Dashunde
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Certainly dont cut it again... but send him a letter (mail forwarded hopefully) right away saying that you noticed he has moved and If he wants continued service he needs to prepay.

LightningLawns
05-17-2005, 10:57 PM
He's only 15 years old so he can't put a lien against his house, he doesn't even have a legal business. Take the loss and move on, it happens in this business.

proenterprises
05-17-2005, 11:02 PM
He's only 15 years old so he can't put a lien against his house, he doesn't even have a legal business. Take the loss and move on, it happens in this business.

True, I didnt look at his age. Yep, looks like you are SOL on this one. Attempt to contact him (in a reasonable manner), otherwise, take it as a lesson learned.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-17-2005, 11:16 PM
He's only 15. Is the guy even LEGALLY obligated to pay a minor who is unable to make a contract?

And one other thing. If you hire a minor to work on your property and the minor get's hurt, who pays? I would doubt the minor would have insurance.

TMlawncare
05-17-2005, 11:45 PM
By all means discontinue service. Stick a billing statement in the mail tomorrow and request payment. If he pays continue service. No pay no service. Never feel obligated to an account when you sense something isn't right. Chances are your gut feeling is dead on.

Cimarron Landscape
05-19-2005, 05:25 PM
what the hell is the matter with this forum and minors!!!!
and no, as far as I have researched, they don't have to pay him if he isn't backed up by anyone. I do my business through my dad. He backs everything up. Haven't had problem customers yet, but I watch it.
~Brian

rodfather
05-19-2005, 06:31 PM
I'd say you are SOL there junior...as they say in ebonics, "ube f***ed.

Reliable Lawn Care
05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Did you happen to mention this to the neighbor that you are mowing also, maybe he can give you a little insight on this guy. But he said you never mowed it in the first place, so that is probably this guy trying to make him fell better about stealing from you. Don't mow it again. Take great care of that other neighbor though.

lawnwizards
05-19-2005, 09:50 PM
I'd say you are SOL there junior...as they say in ebonics, "ube f***ed.
rodfather, i love your ebonics lessons... LOL :waving:

steve in Pa.
05-19-2005, 10:26 PM
with out a doubt stop cutting. you may think your going to get your money but probably notttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!! We had a customer who was a no pay for a few months so we stopped cutting and he ended up filling chapter 11. :cry:

barnard
05-19-2005, 11:25 PM
He's only 15. Is the guy even LEGALLY obligated to pay a minor who is unable to make a contract?

And one other thing. If you hire a minor to work on your property and the minor get's hurt, who pays? I would doubt the minor would have insurance.
He's sure MORALLY responsible. Nothing lower than someone who takes advantage of a kid or an old person.

Runner
05-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Check on it. It varies from state to state. The kid MIGHT be able to sue,..even if he has a parent or guardian file. Even if he is a minor, the guy is still obligated. What bothers me is the fact that he is gone, but yet there is no real estate sign. Did he own this home, or was it perhaps a rental? Check the newspaper for rental ads, and see if by chance it is in there.

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 03:01 AM
happened to me once this year it was a RENTER. He said come back next tues so I can pay you. He was gone. :mad:

green thum
05-21-2005, 12:03 AM
;) STOP!! HE'S LONG GONE!!!!!!!!!don't loose anymore money over this deadbeat.hate to see it happen to you though.good luck