PDA

View Full Version : every 10 days

Mowerboy04
05-17-2005, 06:08 PM
ok i picked up this account i show up the first week and i cut the lawn, the next week i come and cut and the guy comes out and asked if i would mind cutting it every 10 days he thought it wasen't tall enough when i cut it so i said i would try it. so i waited 10 days and come to cut it and o my gosh the lawn was huge i had to cut it 5 times to get it to look nice. so i went to the door and talked to him about it and he still wants me to cut it every 10 days so do i drop the account or do i keep it and battle with the tall grass,i kind of need the work, what do u think
don't mind the spelling
alex

Charles
05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I think he meant come back in 3 days. That would have made it 10 days

PTP
05-17-2005, 06:14 PM
First, you need to decide who it is that is running your company. Once you have that figured out, the rest will fall into place.

cuttinjoe
05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Mowerboy04 we have four places that only want cut every 2 weeks. They know that the look will not be perfect. Make sure to tell the owner that you will only cut it once. Generally people like that are too lazy to cut but don't want to pay to have it done either. One of our spots is now on a 5 day cut cycle and I still had to double cut the front. I tried lifting the mower a 1/2 inch on the second cut and it really seemed to cut the clippings up real fine. In fact it cut them up better then when I double cut leaving the deck the same. Also going opposite ways on the second cut and waiting until after you've trimmed will help spread it out. If you cut more then once add some more $$$$ on to the bill.

dmc456
05-17-2005, 06:37 PM
You have to start some where. If you need the buisness then keep cutting it but don't cut it extra to make it look nice.

Once you have enough customers, tell him you will cut it every 7 days or find someone else.

out4now
05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Charge double for double work. Try pushing the service agreements faster so they get locked in to a price. The percieved value of a service rapidly declines after it is performed according to the supply chain class I just finished. And how right that is. The best example they showed us was something everyone has felt at one time or another. You pay someone to do something and after they are done suddenly you think, "hey,why did I pay this guy so much, I could have done that myself, it's so easy"(or for cheaper) That is one one the biggest obstacles to the entire service industry.

Shawns Lawns
05-18-2005, 06:34 PM
ok i picked up this account i show up the first week and i cut the lawn, the next week i come and cut and the guy comes out and asked if i would mind cutting it every 10 days he thought it wasen't tall enough when i cut it so i said i would try it. so i waited 10 days and come to cut it and o my gosh the lawn was huge i had to cut it 5 times to get it to look nice. so i went to the door and talked to him about it and he still wants me to cut it every 10 days so do i drop the account or do i keep it and battle with the tall grass,i kind of need the work, what do u think
don't mind the spelling
alex
What i learned is that when you agree on a price with a customer and the customer changes the agreement YOU CHANGE THE PRICE. And do it right on the spot when he asked you to go every 10 days you say yes but the cut charge goes up $10. Also why would you cut it 5 times to make it look good. Let him know if you go to 10 days you will not bag, double cut, or rake you will cut like you were when you were cutting every 7 days. :waving:

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-18-2005, 07:11 PM
If you dont have a full schedule, i would do it but tell him up front it will look like crap. I would also charge a premeium. I would not charge him the same thing you were going to charge for 1 week thats for sure. I hate homeowners who say, it doesnt look like it needs cutting. My yard does not grow much. Blah blah blah. Come back next week and the damn thing is a friggin forest. I had a lady try scamming me last year on that. I show up, yard has grown 4-6". This was May, tons of rain last year. Well, it doesnt need cutting. I said it sure does. Come back next week. I said sure, but your $20 cut just became $35. What? Why is that? You said $20. Well, that was for one week lady. You want me cutting every other week the price goes up. Well that does not seem right. I said fine, peace. She called me this year too. I told her I was full and will always be full, lose my number. Heard from a couple buddies last year and this year, she is a price shopper extrodinaire. She is well known for this. Glad it only took me 3 weeks to figure it out and not 2 months. She goes through like 4-5 LCOs a year.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
05-18-2005, 07:12 PM
You are also in Michigan, how is his yard not growing with all the rain the past couple weeks? My yards are growing 5-8" weekly, sometimes more with fert.

Tharrell
05-18-2005, 08:53 PM
CHEAPSKATES. That's what you're dealing with. It has nothing at all to do with if it needs it or not. Try educating one of these idiots and their eyes glaze over like a diabetic with a Dr Pepper in their hand. As in all things, it depends on how bad you need the money. Don't sweat it. We have all been there and some still are. Answer this-What if you had a good mix of clients and didn't need this one? What would YOU say? The answer would come rolling right off your tongue without even thinking about it. Why don't you print your post and put it in an envelope to be opened 4-5 years from now? I know you'll get a real kick out of it.

pjslawncare/landscap
05-18-2005, 08:57 PM
I have one account that wants it cut every 10 and we charge extra for our efforts.