PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the ballpark?

Billpa
05-17-2005, 07:23 PM
As some of you know Id like to move into the hard scape business, I just found a guy thats looking to get back into it so were going to do a few jobs together and see how it goes. Ive been doing all the research I can, also i worked as a mason for a while about ten years ago so I think I have a good understanding of what needs to be done.

My concern is what to charge, If I knew how long it would take to do the job this would be easier.

Im bidding on a brick paver walk and a small garden wall around a gazebo.

1st the walk. This walk will be in two sections and both will be a mix of curves and straight, the first section will have three levels to it to accommodate a gradual slope and will be 4x38 and the second section will be a level run 4x34 for a total of 288 sq ft materials will be about $1730 and hes suggesting I charge $3312.00 for labor, total being $5042.00 or also suggested going to $5203.00 ,,, seems high to me?

2nd the garden wall, this wall would be about 15' diameter or 48' ? circumference (ballpark) the wall will vary in height from 24" to 12" with most of the wall being 24 to 18" inches high and only a small section at 12" high. I came up with 80 face ft and he came up with less 65, so lets just say 75 face ft. material approximately $900 labor $1690 for a total of $2590

access to the work areas are good and the customer has offered to let us use his kubota which has a loader and small hoe on the back. Also looking at $150 or so in rental fees and there will be three of us on the job.

I know all the variables that usually go into pricing a job but bottom line is if you dont know how long it will take then the rest of the numbers are useless, also Ive been told the $40 per man hour for this kind of work is low, any thoughts from the northeast or Pa guys?

Thanks

TJLANDS
05-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Sounds like you are using some expensive pavers. 288 sq- $1700.
The paver job sounds simple enough I would probably charge $12 a sq ft.
$3456, but the materials would cost me only $720 or so. Some people say charge by the job not sq ft. I still charge by the sq ft.
You sound about right on the garden wall. Good Luck

Billpa
05-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Sounds like you are using some expensive pavers. 288 sq- $1700.
The paver job sounds simple enough I would probably charge $12 a sq ft.
$3456, but the materials would cost me only $720 or so. Some people say charge by the job not sq ft. I still charge by the sq ft.
You sound about right on the garden wall. Good Luck

Thanks for the reply

Wed be using Ep Henry Coventry 1 pavers and were planning to add 5% to be safe so Im pricing paver material at 302 sq ft, seems like all of are pavers are kinda high in this area.

For the walk hes saying 3 days with 3 guys since wed be using the kubota. If hes on for labor time I could stand to lower the bid a little to be sure to get the job and still make out well and use this as learning experience, also they have a lot of work to be done over the next year or two as budget allows.

Any thoughts on labor time?

Thanks

TJLANDS
05-19-2005, 09:27 PM
3 days 3 workers should be more than enough time. The kubota will help.

Billpa
05-19-2005, 11:53 PM
3 days 3 workers should be more than enough time. The kubota will help.

Ok, Thanks