PDA

View Full Version : lesco aerator

lwcmattlifter
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Anyone use lesco 30 aerators? I'm going to look at one tomorrow that supposedly has less than 20 hours on it. It's been sitting for over 3 years. Are these good machines. How does this aerator compare to the new lesco aerators?

lwcmattlifter
05-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Anybody have a Lesco model 30?

Runner
05-18-2005, 12:05 AM
These machines, while crude in their ways, were nothing short of awesome on performance. Make sure it has the T-bar on the front with the front casters. Many people would take these off, and then end up misplacing them. You always want to run this with the front T on. What it does, is lower and has a setting for pin that holds the casters down, and the tines up off the ground for transport and storage. When you use it, you would pul the pin, lift the caster bar, and set the pin in a higher hole. This kept the Tbar elevated so the tines would penetrate the ground. Now, here's the trick. What I did with mine, was take a couple of old barbell weights, loop them together with a piece of rope, and drape them over the straight bar at the top of the T (over the tube that ran front to back). This way, it gave better counter weight, and better penetration. When you try this thing out, you will find that you have to keep a slight pressure forward on the handlebars for it to dig well. With the weights on the front, the "pressure was off", so to speak. Anyway, great machine, and this thing gets down. It just "walks". To turn, you just rock it back and pivot it. You can get in tight to areas, rock it back, and pull it backward rather quickly. It takes a little gettin' used to, but all around, a great machine...especially for the money they were. These units were between 12 and 15 hundred, new. You should be able to get into one for a few hundred (5-6), now if it's in good working order. Check the shaft bearings...rock it back and grab the shaft at both ends. Move it in and out, and also see if their is play from end to end. Everything on that machine is easily replaceable.

lwcmattlifter
05-18-2005, 10:43 AM
I looked at the machine today. I believe that it has 15 or less hours. There is not a scratch on it and it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I did notice that it took a little effort to make it dig and adding weights would help greatly, this is the lightest aerator I have operated.

Runner
05-18-2005, 11:02 AM
What's the guy asking for it? If it's in that good of shape, my pricing could EASILY be wrong. Good luck with it!

Watkinslawnservice
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
I have a model 30 that I bought at an auction this spring. I paid $400 for mine and it looks like brand new and runs great. It has already paid for itself this spring.

Joe, you are dead on about the front weight issue. I was going to try using some weight like you explained in the front but have not done so yet. It would make operating a lot easier. But I do think that it is a very good machine for the money. I would like to find another one this fall.

Runner
05-20-2005, 02:07 AM
I wish I could find another one... I messed up by getting rid of that one. I went with a tow behind (which there is no comparison), but I should have kept that one for hills (which many times need it more than anywhere else) and small areas.

Watkinslawnservice
05-23-2005, 11:24 PM
I bought mine at an auction this spring, looks almost brand new. There was another one at the same auction, it looked just as good. I should have bought them both.

Have you ever tried checking e-bay? Seems to be almost everything on there at all times.

lwcmattlifter
05-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Here is the one I just bought. That is one smooth machine, no jerkiiness like the bluebird. It does need some more weight. I think I'm going to weld a pole to the housing or the T arm and hand 25lb gym plates on it.