PDA

View Full Version : Blown engine, replacement needed

Glenn J
05-17-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm bummed. I was unwinding today after work, mowing the lawn when the engine let go. :( :( :( There's a big crack in the side of the block so I know it's toasted.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12.5 hp. Model 286702-4515-E1. Here's a link: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200133274&R=200133274

It's mounted on an older Bunton 48" walkbehind. Should I get this engine as a replacement? Or should I explore one with more horsepower or other brands?

What other brands/model will have the same dimensions as far as mounting and shaft dimensions?

:help: :dizzy:

Restrorob
05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm bummed. I was unwinding today after work, mowing the lawn when the engine let go. :( :( :( There's a big crack in the side of the block so I know it's toasted.

I have a Briggs and Stratton 12.5 hp. Model 286702-4515-E1. Here's a link: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200133274&R=200133274

It's mounted on an older Bunton 48" walkbehind. Should I get this engine as a replacement? Or should I explore one with more horsepower or other brands?

What other brands/model will have the same dimensions as far as mounting and shaft dimensions?

:help: :dizzy:
If the 12.5 hp has worked good for you over the years why go the extra worrie trying to find a different engine ? Thats a super deal for a complete engine,Besides you have to ask your self is this unit worth putting the extra money into for a different engine.
I'd buy this 12.5 throw it on and go mow.

FosterLawnscaping
05-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Try here (www.smallenginewarehouse.com) They can probobly beat Northern by 100 bucks on that engine and ship it for next to nothing. I bought a 10.5 hp for my salter last year and got it from Indiana to PA in 3 days all under 475 bucks shipped.

beransfixitinc
05-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Try here (www.smallenginewarehouse.com) They can probobly beat Northern by 100 bucks on that engine and ship it for next to nothing. I bought a 10.5 hp for my salter last year and got it from Indiana to PA in 3 days all under 475 bucks shipped.

I'm not seeing that specific model and type at the place you are pointing to.

Restrorob
05-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm not seeing that specific model and type at the place you are pointing to.

I didn't see that same number either,But I did see that the 28B707-1008 will take the place of the old one. At 450.00 It would depend on shipping quote as to how much would be saved compaired to northern.

Happy Shopping !

Glenn J
05-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I do appreciate the advice.

What's the difference between the engine I have now and the 28B707-1008? With shipping, that engine would be about $80 less than Northern.

I've only had this mower for about 6-8 weeks, so the engine crapping out is a bummer. Last night, I took off the engine covers and found what was left of a dead mouse on the cylinder cooling fins, along with bunch of grass clippings. That was enough to block the air flow and kill the engine. I'm kicking myself for not pulling off the covers when I first got it, but hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

Restrorob
05-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I do appreciate the advice.

What's the difference between the engine I have now and the 28B707-1008? With shipping, that engine would be about $80 less than Northern.

I've only had this mower for about 6-8 weeks, so the engine crapping out is a bummer. Last night, I took off the engine covers and found what was left of a dead mouse on the cylinder cooling fins, along with bunch of grass clippings. That was enough to block the air flow and kill the engine. I'm kicking myself for not pulling off the covers when I first got it, but hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

Thats what happened the engineer Died :cry:

Glenn J
05-18-2005, 09:10 AM
LOL! That's one way to look at it!

What's the difference between the engine I have now and the 28B707-1008?

Glenn J
05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
restrorob...could you drop me an e-mail? glennmj(at)gmail.com (replace "(at)" with @) I can't PM...guess I haven't been a member long enough.

Smalltimer1
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I have 2 good 12.5 Briggs blocks around back here at the house. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Glenn J
05-19-2005, 08:15 AM
I didn't see that same number either,But I did see that the 28B707-1008 will take the place of the old one. At 450.00 It would depend on shipping quote as to how much would be saved compaired to northern.

Happy Shopping !

Just to update everyone, this is the engine I ordered last night. Thanks to restrorob for answering a few questions I had regarding the differences between my current engine and this one.

And thanks to whomever posted that link in the first place. I saved a good deal of money going there vs other palces on the web.

I'm going to try to take some pics of the blown engine today after work.

Glenn J
05-20-2005, 08:31 AM
Here are some pics of the damage.

The first pic was taken on the right side of the engine, near where the electric starter would be mounted (if equiped). That's the main area of damage.

The second pic is the back right side of the engine. Not as bad, but a few hairline cracks that I circled.

Third pic is the cause of the problem. D@mn mouse! Grrrrrr! :realmad:

martinw
05-21-2005, 12:05 AM
That might be a cheeper option too.... Check with a shop and see if they can order a short block any cheeper (I'm sure your engines head, and assc. are still good.

Glenn J
05-30-2005, 07:12 PM
A big "thanks!" to restrorob for helping me out with this project. I ordered an engine from smallenginewarehouse.com and it was out of stock. restrorob helped me find another engine that would work, and helped me with converting from an electric start, to a recoil start. I saved A LOT of money by doing this. The same engine(same as the one that blew up) at Northern Tool was $579 + $75 shipping. The engine from smallenginewarehouse was $399 + free shipping. It was a no brainer.

Thanks again for the help restrorob!

I'm going to post some pics of the swap in the pic forum in a thread I started when I got the mower awhile back.

Dirty Water
05-30-2005, 08:18 PM
Just make sure you ordered the proper diamiater output shaft and keyway.

Otherwise you might have to make a custom pulley.

Glenn J
05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
That's a good point. The one I ordered is mounted up and I did my first mow Friday.