PDA

View Full Version : local scag dealer

D&R
05-17-2005, 10:45 PM
So I am bored and I am checking out the Scag web site last weekend. I come across the new Z Cat 36" Z. I currently have a Scag 36" Hydro Walk Behind that we do our small yards with that have gates. This mower looks great and of course it is built like a brick pooy house. So, I head down to the local Scag dealer and ask to see this little gem. As we walk out to the showroom he is talking it up....it's got this and it's got that.....blah, blah, blah. I check it out and I am impressed. I am thinking to my self......no more sore feet, sore hands, no more velky :angel: I am going to be in heaven. I ask the salesman, who just happens to be the owner, what his demo policy is? He tells me "well, we know it is going to cut good cause it's a Scag." "I'll let you take it out and drive it on the pavement, but I don't want to get any grass on it." What!, I blurt out. You mean I can't turn the blades on and mow with it? "Nope, you would be surprised at the fact that most people won't buy a dirty mower." I told him that it has a hour meter on it and it can be washed. "Nope, I just don't think I want to get it dirty" he say's. I proceed to tell him that I would not purchase it unless I could mow with it. "Sorry" was his only reply. Good thing for me I don't have to buy my parts from him.......

I just wanted to vent a little.

bwallen149
05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Hey D&R, Were are you in IN. We have a fantastic Scag dealer just east of Bloomington. He does not stock that many units, but if he has it you can demo it and through nine, yes nine waranty repairs in the last two years hes only had my mower overnight once, and that was for a hydro pump replacement. Every othe repair had been made on the spot or atleast that day. That being said nine waranty repairs in the first two hundred hour is a bit much. Just need him to start selling some other brands. Let me know if you want his name....

jgtxusa
05-18-2005, 12:16 AM
My scag dealer only lets us demo the units set aside for demo. If he does not have the model you are looking at in a demo, he says tough luck. He is the absolute best on work after you buy from him though. He has to get to know you a little bit, and then he will take a bullet for you. He is the #1 echo and like #2 scag dealer in the dfw area, so he does not really have to have my business, but has always been good to me.

beransfixitinc
05-18-2005, 12:51 AM
I proceed to tell him that I would not purchase it unless I could mow with it. "Sorry" was his only reply. Good thing for me I don't have to buy my parts from him.......

I just wanted to vent a little.

Would you pay close to full price for it if you came in and it was very evident that it had been cutting before? Yeah, you can wash the grass off, but little rocks can still chip.

kc2006
05-18-2005, 01:11 AM
I will not buy from a dealer that doesn't demo mowers out. If he can't afford to demo them out he clearly isn't doing a good enough business. All the top quality dealers around here will let you take a mower out for 1 or 2 days to demo. I was very close to buying a lesco mower last year but I couldn't demo it so i walked away.

We'll see how the Hustler dealer treats me when he gets a demo in of the rear discharge mower, so far hustler is looking like the winner in my book, if the dealer is quality too then I'll be buying one. Everything has to fit the dealer, the mower, the dealer policies. I'd rather work with a "down home" type dealer rather then the type that are there 9-5 period and don't know their customers by name.

beransfixitinc
05-18-2005, 01:30 AM
We'll see how the Hustler dealer treats me when he gets a demo in of the rear discharge mower,

Well hey, now you are stating something different. If it is a demo machine, used for demo purposes by the area rep, and left at that dealer for a while, then yeah, take it out.

Brand new mowers with no hours are not demo machines..

Sometimes I wish the shoe could be on the other foot with you guys..

PLM-1
05-18-2005, 01:48 AM
It's like looking to buy a convertible and the dealer won't let you put the top down but says "the top goes down". You want to experience it...not hear about it. Words don't mean ****. It's first-hand experience.

language

beransfixitinc
05-18-2005, 01:51 AM
It's like looking to buy a convertible and the dealer won't let you put the top down but says "the top goes down". You want to experience it...not hear about it. Words don't mean $hit. It's first-hand experience.

So, if you are looking at buying a 4 wheel drive truck, do you go to the dealer and demand that they let you take it off road in the mud before you'll think about buying it? If you do.. take the video camera.. I always like to see video of people laughing at the person with the video camera.

PLM-1
05-18-2005, 01:57 AM
So, if you are looking at buying a 4 wheel drive truck, do you go to the dealer and demand that they let you take it off road in the mud before you'll think about buying it? If you do.. take the video camera.. I always like to see video of people laughing at the person with the video camera.

Now that's a little different. But you should be able to engage the 4wd.

Oldtimer
05-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Amen!

I am sure a lot of these LCOs will mow a yard for free a few times to see if the customer likes their work.

PLM-1
05-18-2005, 02:08 AM
Amen!

I am sure a lot of these LCOs will mow a yard for free a few times to see if the customer likes their work.

But what are they risking? $40??

Tider6972
05-18-2005, 02:23 AM
C'mon, guys! Not too long ago we were talking about how we would NOT pay a "new" price for a mower with 2 1/2 or more hours on it. Most agreed that if it had more than an hour it would have to be sold as a demo.

This is the same deal!

A dealer can't have a demo model of every model offered, or if he did 'our prices' would skyrocket !

Now, having said all that, I would most likely not buy until I could get a demo of it cutting grass! It's a catch 22 for lcos and dealers. It's a particularly hairy situation with a new model.

Be patient, your good buddy may buy one and let you try it, or a scag rep may get a demo unit.

SproulsLawnCare
05-18-2005, 03:13 AM
The JD 757 I bought was a demo and I did receive a couple thousand off of the new price. It only had 36 hours on it so I felt like it was a good deal. I also found out that the dealer was allowed the discount against the ZTR for demo purposes from JD manufacturer. I got a good deal, and he isn't really out any money.

Big_Bob
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Similar experience a local dealer. I wanted to demo a Cub. He said he would let me drive it around the parking lot, but no mowing. He had no demos. The dealer said if the machine gets scratched, it's used. He loses money. If a person spends +$6K, you gotta be able to drive the machine. Wondering if Scag has area reps that will drop off a demo? Anyway, I walked away and took my money elsewhere.

D&R
05-22-2005, 10:45 PM
The problem is this..........

This is a brand new machine. Not new as in no hours, new as in new model! No one has ever used one other than the Scag engineers/test people. I know that someone is going to say that they wouldn't sell unless they felt it was going to work. I agree about 80% on that statement. However, I am sure the engineers at Chevrolet thought they had a decent product when they sold the 74 Nova's. You know the one's that "dog track" down the road. What about the AMC Pacer. Since it is a new model don't you think a manufacturer/dealer would expect to be asked for demo's? Heck, retail on the thing is $5699.00. There has to be room there for a couple hours and a few scratches. A tiger cub, with bigger everything is only $6000.00. No wonder Scag isn't a sponser of this site, they don't want to get blasted by people who actually use the equipment. :realmad: :angry: :realmad: :angry: :realmad: :gunsfirin