PDA

View Full Version : Hahaha....hahahaha!

lawnranger44
05-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Bid a cleanup job at $680 the other day, gave the lady the quote she says "Oh wow you doubled the other company's quote." I was flabbergasted.

Sure nuff, my brother saw some guys loading up sticks and stuff into the back of their jeep there today! :D

Don't care that I lost the job, just think its funny.

heavenlydeere
05-17-2005, 11:21 PM
no kiddin!!! i love it when i bid a job with a fair price and someeone out bids me!! hahaha indeed!!! you didnt say how big or give details but if its like my area you probably would have liked to have said $1680! and if the other guy did it for around 300 , i bet he loved that job !!! let em have it!!!

DennisF
05-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Don't laugh. Next week the Jeep will have a trailer behind it.

greenwithenvylandscape
05-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Bid a cleanup job at $680 the other day, gave the lady the quote she says "Oh wow you doubled the other company's quote." I was flabbergasted.

Sure nuff, my brother saw some guys loading up sticks and stuff into the back of their jeep there today! :D

I just bid a DR. office at $620 and the office mgr called me and said the fax wasn't clear and asked if it was $62. I said hehehe...no...um $620. She said she had 2 other bids, one for $150 and one for $200. I let her know that the job would cost me more than $200 in materials and labor (5 yds of mulch, dump fee, etc.) She said the one guy wasn't even going to use mulch, he was going to install stone. I wished her luck.

mosmgras
05-18-2005, 12:22 AM
I bid a job to haul/install washed stone last year for a driveway. Customer wanted 25 tons of #67 stone spread and blended into an existing gravel drive. I bid $700 for materials and labor. At $20 a ton for materials/delivery that left $200 labor cost. I figured it would tie up 2-3 hours at most. A couple of days later I went by to make a followup contact with the customer to find a guy with a longbed 1/2 ton pickup, one shovel and a rake..... I kept on driving!

ColePyck
05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
can we unionize landscapers to make these prices the same, i am tired of losing mowing and mulching to some stiff who will do it for peanuts.

nobagger
05-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Ya got to love it! The jeep thing is great. I think my neighbor is looking into becoming a lawn care/landscaper. We just moved into our new house and as soon as the weather broke he was over asking if I was hiring, I said kindly no not at this time. Well he has been over asking and leaving his resume in my door at 6AM! :sleeping: Well I thought I saw him load a mower and electric trimmer and a broom into the trunk of his car the other day, and you gussed it a new scrub is born. He has woked several several places for no more than a few years at a time and none of it has been with any lawn service. So you can bet he will be the $10.00 cut guy.

justin234
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Did everyone here start out as a scrub or did most of you become professionals over night?

Personally - I would like to become a professional over night. More money. More respect. How did you do it?

mister_snowplow
05-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't want to piss anybody off, but just because somebody under bids you doesn't make them a "scab" or "lowballer". Maybe the person has a legit business, but works for themself and doesn't have the overhead that you may have so they can afford to have a lower bid than you.

greenwithenvylandscape
05-18-2005, 05:39 PM
I don't want to piss anybody off, but just because somebody under bids you doesn't make them a "scab" or "lowballer". Maybe the person has a legit business, but works for themself and doesn't have the overhead that you may have so they can afford to have a lower bid than you.
When we talk about "scrubs" we are talking about the person who works out of their trunk with crap equipment, no insurance and not paying taxes...not the legit guy with low overhead...at least that's how I take it.

Cimarron Landscape
05-18-2005, 05:49 PM
I agree with mister_snowplow. I used to be, and sometimes am the 'low-baller'
I've been raising my prices significantly lately, because now I feel I'm up to the level of most of the guys in my area. Sure, I don't have insurance...it's not required in Texas anyway. My business has been growing a lot, and as soon as I can, I will purchase insurance, etc.
as for the 'crap' equipment:
I started with a walk behind 24" toro. That and a weed-eater brand trimmmer, curved shaft and all.
Now I have a Honda 215 HX and echo trimmers. I'm currently pricing commercial walk-behinds and have my eye on a few Exmarks.
So yeah, I started as what you could call a 'scab' or 'lowballer'. Can't become best overnight!
two more years, I plan to be runnin with the big LCOs around here.

The problem I have with the new start ups is the quality work they do. There are a bunch of kids in my neighborhood that will occasionally mow lawns. Their work stinks. Then when I come and advertise, they assume I stink, and want no part of my work. That's when newbies get on my nerves.

~Brian
P.S. As for taxes, not eligible yet. :D

Bret's Lawn Care
05-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I started with the equipment i was given from my dad's lawn care when he didn't like it any more now i mow 45 yards a week and i started when i was 12 and now am 16 have 2 walkbehinds a 60" exmark and my dads old bobcat
so i guess you could say i started overnight

JimLewis
05-19-2005, 02:28 AM

I hear ya. I went to give a bid for a a nasty clean-up job the other day. It wouldn't have been a fun job at all. Landscape had gone awry a long time ago. Would have taken one of my crews almost an entire day to cleanup - and that's using some equipment that most of my competion probably wouldn't have. Anyway, So I bid it at about $1000. She was flabbergasted. She was almost in shock. She kept saying "This is WAY beyond what we were thinking!!!" (Her exact words). I maintained my composure and just said, "Well, I don't know what you were 'thinking'. I am sorry that we couldn't do it within your budget. But this is a pretty good sized job. One of our crews would be out here for almost an entire day and would haul off probably two truck and trailer loads of debris in that time." To which she just repeated herself ("This is WAY beyond what we were thinking!!!" ) and I excused myself and left.

Then, as I drove away, I just laughed all the way down the street. Seriouslly laughed out loud in my truck. Just thinking of the poor schmuck scrub who is going to end up doing that job for $400. That poor schmuck doesn't even know what he's getting himself into and he'll be wasting an entire day or two working for chicken feed while we'll be off doing some other job making good money. LOL.

Then I forgot her name as I turned the corner.

Cimarron Landscape
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
where do you get the time bret?
I'm the same age, done it the same amount of time (not very seriously for the last 3 yrs, this year is different) and not NEAR the level you are at.
Must be small lawns...or do you have a crew? :cool:
~Brian

Flex-Deck
05-19-2005, 08:00 PM

This is another thread that sucks. We have too many people on this site that if they are under bid, it is a
1. "hahahaha" deal, or
2. Got a scrub in our neighborhood.
3. Can't believe the cheap people in our area!
4. ETC ETC.

Wake up a smell the roses. The next time I see a post that says "If you use a curve shaft trimmer you are a scrub I am going to have to consider any and all that agree ignorant, and probably just trying to impress all the others that are ignorant.

Thanks, Brad

Blk94fiveOh
05-19-2005, 09:31 PM
can we unionize landscapers to make these prices the same, i am tired of losing mowing and mulching to some stiff who will do it for peanuts. Worst idea EVER!

nobagger
05-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Worst idea EVER!
Ive said it for awhile a price not set in stone but give a 5-7 or whatever dollar cushion for mowing and a $100.00 or so cushion on landscaping jobs. OR at least a guide for everyone especially new people to give them some type of idea on what to charge. Some people may just not know, some may be way high and some are way too low. But a guide would give them a general idea. Just a thought. :waving:

Flex-Deck
05-20-2005, 09:13 PM
This is another thread that sucks. We have too many people on this site that if they are under bid, it is a
1. "hahahaha" deal, or
2. Got a scrub in our neighborhood.
3. Can't believe the cheap people in our area!
4. ETC ETC.

Wake up a smell the roses. The next time I see a post that says "If you use a curve shaft trimmer you are a scrub I am going to have to consider any and all that agree ignorant, and probably just trying to impress all the others that are ignorant.

Thanks, Brad

Nobody evidently saw the post on page two. Here it is again. Everyone seems to have the ostrach head in the sand syndrome.

shortgut
05-21-2005, 06:00 AM
Last year the city ask me to give a bid on a duplex lot clean up it was a freaking jungle vines knee high grass two pine tree tops blowed down. I bid a price of $1500.00 at the city council meeting they after alot of debating they decided to use the city employees in other words they would do it themselves it took them about 3 weeks to do the job as they would work on it when they had nothing else to do . I was at city hall after they had finished I ask the city treasurer what did the cost of the lot clean up was she said about $ 7500.00 I walked away laughing thinking that I was glad I was not into politics as it had cost them a lot more to do a job that should have not took over 3 days to do and not cost over $2,000.00

Precision
05-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Did everyone here start out as a scrub or did most of you become professionals over night?

Personally - I would like to become a professional over night. More money. More respect. How did you do it?

That is too tempting to pass up.

I don't know If I was respected or if I made more money, but I bought all professional equipment (some used) a Heavy duty pick up truck (used)and a landscape trailer (last years demo), had insurance, was incorporated, had my accountant lined up, had business cards, an ad budget, a business plan and contracts ready to go before I cut my first lawn.

How did I do it. I save money from my former job to start this one properly. I made a budget and made my purchases as I needed them to do the jobs I landed. I figured out my market and worked like a dog go get things running and to project a professional image. Then I took my lumps as I over bid some jobs and underbid others.

There is nothing wrong with working hard. There is nothing wrong with using used equipment until you can afford to upgrade and keep the old stuff as back up. But where many people make mistakes is getting trapped in the rut of having crappy equipment so getting beat down on price by the consumer so they can never get new equipment to upgrade their image.

GrassBustersLawn
05-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I saw a new LCO in our area last week. He was driving a JEEP too. He had built a little wood platform on top of the SPARE TIRE and had his 21" Murray strapped to it. VOILA another scrub/lowballer is born.

Mike