PDA

View Full Version : need mulch info quickly

Commonwealth LC
05-18-2005, 01:32 AM
a man tonight asked me to come see how much it would cost to get and spread mulch for him. i was just wondering if anyone had some good price info in the central Virginia area on this. If not in the area just in any general area.

Plus, i know how to measure square footage, but after you know how many sqaure feet of surface area you have, how do you tell the nursery (or whoever you get your mulch from) how much you need?

sorry if this is confusing but ive been up all night getting bookwork done.

Thanks!
josh

terryzrx1200
05-18-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm in the Norfolk, VA area and I get mulch for $18-$25 a yard. To have them deliver it is about $30. If you are doing just a small area you could easly put a yard of mulch in the bed of a pick up, or on your trailer. Do a search on mulch and you will get all the info you need on how to determine how much you will need for the area being mulched. Oh. If I pay $25 for my mulch, I'll charge my customer $45-$50 a yard delivered. That price does not include my labor cost. Good Luck Terry

nobagger
05-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Hey Josh, I hear ya (late nights) well its early mornings for me! :sleeping: A yard of mulch is about 4-5 wheelbarrels. Typically it costs (well in our area) anywhere from $19.00-$26.00 per yard and I charge $40-$50 depending on the location of the beds plus a $25-$35 delivey fee. That price is spread also and we have a minimum of 2 yards for the bigger dump. But if its 1 yard or so then we just use the p/u truck with a bed roller and just roll it off. But charge more if the beds are a pita to reach, that damn mulch gets heavy! :waving:

rjjmurph
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
easy calculation if you know the square footage of what you want to cover.

sqft/325= cubic yds per inch of depth. so if you want to install it 3 inches thick, multiply that number by 3

example: 1000 sqft of beds, 3 inches thick

1000/325 = 3.07 yds/inch x 3 inches = 9.21 cubic yds.

I charge anywhere from $65-$95 per yard installed depending how accessible area is and how many plants etc. I have to work around. I charge additional for edging around beds and bed prep (weeding, etc.)

marko
05-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Use a mulch calculator! http://www.atstecks.com/mulch.htm