PDA

View Full Version : It's Time for Some New Equipment

coyotekid
05-18-2005, 02:33 AM
Hi guys,

Business is picking up, and I think I can now justify getting some new equipment. My 3.75 HP MTD push mower just isn't doing it anymore.

I'd like to stay around a 21" cut, and would like to buy quality equipment. I'm fond of Honda small engines, but I'm completely open to suggestions.

As for a trimmer, I've had great luck with the Stihl FS 80 I'm currently using, but I'd like a smaller trimmer dedicated for string instead of blades. Is Stihl among the top, or are there better options?

Thanks for all the help--this board is great!

WoodBrothersLC
05-18-2005, 08:09 AM
go and look at the john deere 21's we have had ours forever but needs to be replaced soon

dont get a smaller trimmer than the fs80, we have one and at times it could use a little bit more power.

meets1
05-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Look at the John Deere 21 walk behinds. We have 10 in our fleet of mowers and always run great. Every year though we trade for a few new ones but we have two as spares that are getting older but they will run with the new any day of the week.

Trimmers - I run all redmax, 2 maryuma, I we have one toro trimmer left. Redmax is strong but a bit more expensive.

wbw
05-18-2005, 10:41 AM
The Toro proline or the new Honda commercial hydro. Shouldn't be too tough to decide.

Guthrie&Co
05-18-2005, 10:41 AM
i just bought a new fs 110. works great and the 4 mix is awesome. alot of torque and is ten times quieter. weighs the same as the fs 80/85's

dirt digger
05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
The John Deere has treated me quite well. I do have friends who have run the toro's and were impressed, also, heard good things about the Hondas. A new John Deere 21" will run around $850 - $900.

Lorge
05-18-2005, 11:17 AM
For the mower, get the exmark 21" with the Kawi. That's what I have and it's great. I had a commercial honda that got stolen and it was ok but the exmark is much better overall. The Honda was slow and couldn't handle thick grass very well. It was kind of awkward to use. I've been nothing with happy with the exmark. It has 3 speeds, 3rd gear is as fast as a walk behind in 4th gear....pretty dang fast.

For the trimmer, I have 2 Stihl FS110s. There is some power in those machines but they aint cheap, I think $350. I wouldn't step down below an FS 80. Below that is homeowner grade. You're a professional, you need professional equipment.

prolawncorp
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Hey we bought some Toro walk behinds from a dealer and they are working great

For trimmers check out Tanaka I did about 2 years ago and now the guys love them. Light weight and powerful and they saud they are 100% 2 cycle which i love. No 4 cycle for me.

Tanaka
05-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, all Tanaka products are 100% two-stroke powered now and for the future. We were the first to certify to C.A.R.B. Tier II with our PureFire engine.

For more info, go to the PureFire learning center:

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=38

-MW

Jpocket
05-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about real equipment.................. :rolleyes:

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 04:07 PM
For the mower, get the exmark 21" with the Kawi. That's what I have and it's great. I had a commercial honda that got stolen and it was ok but the exmark is much better overall. The Honda was slow and couldn't handle thick grass very well. It was kind of awkward to use. I've been nothing with happy with the exmark. It has 3 speeds, 3rd gear is as fast as a walk behind in 4th gear....pretty dang fast.

Amen to that. I talked my friend into buying a 21" metro and he lets me use it, I have used it for artound 40 hours so far and it's the best. I would say go with the redmax bcz 3000 trimmer it weighs about the same as a stihl 110 and it has quite a bit of power. :)

David Grass
05-20-2005, 04:22 PM
not to divert the thread here, but I would really suggest that you demo a 36 and a 44 walk behind on your properties, then, and ONLY then, if you are perfectly satisfied that the 21 is what you gotta have, then go, and do it.

Eddie B
05-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I run Toro. If you like honda engines, gravely/ariens has some. Decent mowers.

chief5139
05-20-2005, 05:39 PM
the biggest thing is see what is in your area you don't want to have to drive 1 or 2 hrs to get parts for a mower when you customer is waiting if you want a good not expensive push mower snapper 21" 6.5 hp and a good trimmer is a tanaka tbc-230 very!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lightwieght high rpm you'll never have anything else.