PDA

View Full Version : Loam install would like youyr input

C&S Services
05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
This is what is going on. 200 yards of screened loam will be del. and the customer is covering cost of loam and rental of tractor. Property is reclaimed wooded area, lots of rocks to work around (up here in New Hampshire we have more rocks than dirt). He had a neighbor come over and help move rocks into beds surrounding some trees. While doing this they rubbed almost all the trees with the large tractor and caused some heavy damage to them. So a Jd 4410 is the largest he will let on the property. The loam can only be dropped on one spot of the property and it is about a 120 yard distance to the farthest point and 10 yard to the closest. He needs the loam spread and leveled out on an area about 100' x 200' can you give me a ball park number on what you might charge for labor and time to complete. I thank you for your time any input would help. Thanks Clay

Itsgottobegreen
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
If you are around trees. A tractor isn't going to work. You need a skid loader with the rubber tracks. This would prevent any more damage and allow you to place and level the loam easier.

Pro-Scapes
05-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I totally agree.. A skid loader bobcat type piece of equipment would be the way to go. I never used one with tracks on it due to the fact the one I have avalible to me to use free has all terrain tires on that. Especially around the trees your not going to beat the short wheelbase and manuverability (zero turning radius). Hard to give ballpark on time without seeing it. Few solid days at least plus more if you need to do some areas by wheelbarrow(clumps of trees ect) depends how fast u can go based apon your experience and how bad terrain is.

Pro-Scapes
05-18-2005, 02:43 PM
I totally agree.. A skid loader bobcat type piece of equipment would be the way to go. I never used one with tracks on it due to the fact the one I have avalible to me to use free has all terrain tires on that. Especially around the trees your not going to beat the short wheelbase and manuverability (zero turning radius). Hard to give ballpark on time without seeing it. Few solid days at least plus more if you need to do some areas by wheelbarrow(clumps of trees ect) depends how fast u can go based apon your experience and how bad terrain is. May wanna sub it out to soil contractor and just llearn how they do it. Would hate to try and use my tractor and front loader in heavily wooded areas. Trees you can regrow. Tractors are $$$ to fix

C&S Services
05-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I tried to get him to invest into a skid steer it was cheaper to rent, and like you said a bit more control. The client did not like the idea he was told the tires would tear up the lose soil even more. I wish I had some pics to upload.

Itsgottobegreen
05-19-2005, 02:40 AM
The client did not like the idea he was told the tires would tear up the lose soil even more.
Which is why a rubber tracked version would be better. They barely do any damage. The asv and cats are the best. Bobcat is also nice.

Jamesgateslandscaping
05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I just did a 100yd install. Labor was about $1400. If you would like to subcontract, I live in amherst and could help you out. I use a smaller tractor that does not do as much damage or might be able to get something a little bigger to move the loam. Its moving the loam that takes that longest. I did 100 yards in about 6 hours(small area, with hills and trees tho.) I can help you out if you want. I have done quite a few lawns, a couple were bigger (50yds +.) What is the Sq ft? jimmyjoe@eudoramail.com and I can send you my cell #.
Thanks
James