PDA

View Full Version : S.O.S., restorob!

KINGjosh
05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Remember that carb thread a posted a while back on the Briggs engine. Well put the new carb on a while ago, everything was working great. Now all the sudden, this morning this carb is flooding out the plug. I took off the spark plug and pulled the starter rope and gas shoots out alot. And it keeps shooting out every time I pull the starter rope.

I used to use this mower everyday for a couple of years, Now I got my new mower so this mower only sees action 1 day every 2 weeks.
Could it be that the mower is sitting to long?

KathysLGC
05-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Sound like the gas is going bad and making the float stick open keeping the needle up. Did you put a new gasket on when you replaced the carb?

Restrorob
05-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Remember that carb thread a posted a while back on the Briggs engine. Well put the new carb on a while ago, everything was working great. Now all the sudden, this morning this carb is flooding out the plug. I took off the spark plug and pulled the starter rope and gas shoots out alot. And it keeps shooting out every time I pull the starter rope.

I used to use this mower everyday for a couple of years, Now I got my new mower so this mower only sees action 1 day every 2 weeks.
Could it be that the mower is sitting to long?

Not likely josh, you can leave a unit sit for as long as a month before you start having problems,I would guess you got some trash in it the same as the old one,Drop the float bowl and spray the carb. out with some choke cleaner,Remove the fuel tank and clean as well and don't forget to blow the fuel lines out and replace the fuel filter.
This will get you back up and running !

KINGjosh
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Bingo! I cant recall the last time I even changed the fuel filter. I am gonna order one today. Yah see, simple shhttt like that can save major headaches later.

You da man.

Restrorob
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Bingo! I cant recall the last time I even changed the fuel filter. I am gonna order one today. Yah see, simple shhttt like that can save major headaches later.

You da man.

Josh,I don't remember if I said this in your last thread.
Be very CAREFUL pulling the rope with fuel in the cylinder and the plug out,
Make SURE the plug wire is not near the engine where it can spark or else all you'll need is your pack of hot dogs.
And don't forget to check the oil for fuel contamination and change it if needed.

See Ya !

KINGjosh
05-21-2005, 10:08 PM
I think I really am a moron. After doing all the cleaning on the carb and draining the tank and so forth, I noticed that the choke was sticking from a lever that the cable was pushing. The lever expanded after several years and needed to be squeezed back in so it could slide better.

I dont know how it runs yet because I just got done fooling with everything,and did not get fresh gas for it yet. I will keep you posted though

Restrorob
05-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I think I really am a moron. After doing all the cleaning on the carb and draining the tank and so forth, I noticed that the choke was sticking from a lever that the cable was pushing. The lever expanded after several years and needed to be squeezed back in so it could slide better.

I dont know how it runs yet because I just got done fooling with everything,and did not get fresh gas for it yet. I will keep you posted though

Well Josh that was a separate problem,The choke sticking will not fill the cylinder full of fuel,Had you not performed the cleaning task you still would have had the same problem for a third time.So take it easy on yourself.