PDA

View Full Version : When should I dethatch?

chrisandashley
05-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't know where to post this thread, so forgive me if it's in the wrong area...
I just bought a home in the St. Louis area and I need to dethatch and aerate the lawn. It is, however, Late May and I didn't know if it was too late in the season to do so on Zoyzia grass. Should I just wait until the Fall? If I should wait until September, should I just follow a normal fertilizing schedule until then?

Thanks for your expertise,
Chris

marko
05-18-2005, 12:07 PM
If you are going to dethatch, I would do it early to mid summer on this type grass. With aerating, you get many benifits, one of which is help controlling thatch. Make sure you rent a quality unit that pulls 2 3/4" - 3" plugs!

chrisandashley
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
So, if I understand you correctly: If I aerate, fertilize and water my lawn this week, I won't have to de-thatch because the aeration will take care of a majority of the thatch?

Thanks,
Chris

marko
05-18-2005, 04:21 PM
If the thatch level is deep (over .5 inch), it will be a start. You should probably plan to aerate yearly. This should keep it under control. Dethatching is very messy, and destructive to the turf. If you do it, make sure it is done while the grass is actively growing. Over watering, consistently cutting more than 1/3 of the grass blade off all contribute to thatch problems.