PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with a Fixed Deck?

grassrootsinab
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I am currently running a 38" Deere WB with a floating deck. I tried a fixed deck WB the other day and found that when cutting slightly uneven ground, the mower dug into the side hills and also scalped in a lot more places (even when it was set at the correct height for the "flats"). I can't see any advantage of a fixed deck over the floating...am I missing something?

kc2006
05-18-2005, 02:36 PM
Nope, floating is the advantage to fixed decks.

Thats why fixed is cheaper. I have a fixed deck and you just have to watch what your doing.

marko
05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
36" and under I have never found that I have needed a floating deck.

oldturf
05-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Everything that I have floats, but then I am old and do not see well.

Itsgottobegreen
05-19-2005, 03:11 AM
I run nothing but fix decks. Cheaper yes. But its lighter and has a lot less parts.

Floating decks has more stuff that could go wrong because of more parts. Its just one more thing to go wrong.

khutch
05-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Hydro has more to go wrong than belt....
Hope you don't use belts.....
Stick edger has a lot more to go wrong than a shovel...
IMO, fixed will scalp A LOT more than float.....

burns60
05-21-2005, 01:33 AM
I have an Exmark Lazer HP, 48 inch. Seems to me that they could have put anti scalp wheels behind the deck and helped some. When you drop the rear wheel in a hole that you don't happen to notice it will scalp pretty bad. I actually never noticed before I bought it that it didn't have wheels behind the deck. Otherwise though I am very pleased with the mower and am getting more used to it. 350 hours and still operates like new.

Watkinslawnservice
05-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I wondered this too because I can't understand why people all seem to like the Wright stander so much with a fixed deck over the Dane/Deere with the floating deck. I have an older Dane with a fixed deck and I would think that a floating deck would improve the cut quality?

Itsgottobegreen
05-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Because the stander has such a short wheel base that it doesn't need to float. The rear tires can be 1" or 2" behind the deck (depends on which holes you have the wheel motor mounts in) A ZTR has at least 4" most 6" between the back of the deck to the tires. So you need all of those little wheels to fix the problem.

Watkinslawnservice
05-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Because the stander has such a short wheel base that it doesn't need to float. The rear tires can be 1" or 2" behind the deck (depends on which holes you have the wheel motor mounts in) A ZTR has at least 4" most 6" between the back of the deck to the tires. So you need all of those little wheels to fix the problem.
so is the floating deck on a stander actually a hinderance or just not neccessary?

Itsgottobegreen
05-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Its a hinderance. Wright delevoped the sentar if you wanted a full floating deck. Which is a heck of alot larger and longer than the stander.

yard sloth
05-26-2005, 10:59 PM
in my short experience with an Exmark tthp36 the floating deck did not float well. it hangs on solid post not allowing much "floatation" and seems to scalp easily. on my toro z-master the deck hangs by chains and floats very well. I think the chains are a much better design for a floating deck.

all ferris
05-26-2005, 11:04 PM
buy a ferris wb dual drive fixed deck and you won't have a scalping problem. The wheel base on a 48" wb is 48".

Itsgottobegreen
05-26-2005, 11:11 PM
buy a ferris wb dual drive fixed deck and you won't have a scalping problem. The wheel base on a 48" wb is 48".

Yes, but also no trim side.