PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if it I need a new transmission

skurtz78
05-18-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a scag 36" belt drive and it can no longer pull up the smallest hills once it is in 3rd gear. What do I look for first before I run out and have a new trans put in. I know when it won't pull up the sides where the drive belts are connected will stop spinning also.

procut
05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Before you jump to any conclusions, make sure ALL the belts are tight.

Richard Martin
05-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Procut is dead on. You especially need to make sure the engine to tranny belt is tight.

SodKing
05-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Ditto...that would generally be directly under the engine under the deck. It has a belt tensioner pully that has to be tightened by hand.

The mayor
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
I had the same problems years ago. Just a loose belt.

skurtz78
05-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I have checked all the belts and they all seem tight. I even put the mower up against a wall placed it in third gear where I knew it would not try to move and looked under to see if anything was moving. I saw no moving parts. I figured if it was a loose belt that the pulley would still spin. I think im going to have to put it in for repair.

ztoro
05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
I have checked all the belts and they all seem tight. I even put the mower up against a wall placed it in third gear where I knew it would not try to move and looked under to see if anything was moving. I saw no moving parts. I figured if it was a loose belt that the pulley would still spin. I think im going to have to put it in for repair.

no moving parts?

The pulley/belts from the engine to the tranny werent moving either?

skurtz78
05-19-2005, 03:34 PM
nope nothing moving

dwost
05-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Easy fix, go to your dealer and get a new set of key's for the Peerless. I know because I replaced mine last year. You need to be VERY careful when you are shifting into gear or on the fly. If the key's are not lined up correctly in the gears they will slowly sheer off. They go into a point and eventually will not engage the selected gear. Be forewarned, this is a messy job. You should pick up some good tranny grease (I personally like the Stens stuff) while you are at the dealer and your total OTD cost should be somewhere around $45 with the grease. Pull the mower over some good plastic, crack the tranny case and get dirty. I recommend a good set of latex gloves as well. It's a pain but much cheaper than a new one and very easy to do if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Don

Turfdude
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Loosen up the idler pulley, take a hammer & screw driver, tap it over, hold it tight & re-tighten bolt for tensioner. You could also have a worn trans pulley and or key. Is there any play in the large trans pulley? Is the belt stretched?? Try the simple stuff first.

skurtz78
05-19-2005, 09:34 PM
I will try to work on it this weekend. Just for pricing for a new one if it comes to that I tried to find out what model number I have and can only find the numbers 3628-p1 on the top of it. I can not find any info on it anywhere. are there other numbers somewhere else on them to tell me the model

TLS
05-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Like others have said, tighten up your engine to trans belt under the engine. These loosen and need tightening once the belt has been stretched (broken in).

It's real odd to see a keyway broken.

Do you use a sulky?

skurtz78
05-19-2005, 10:00 PM
I only used a sulky for about 2 properties last year but the mower is about 7yrs old.

jgtxusa
05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
I would try the key first also.

Richard Martin
05-20-2005, 12:06 AM
If the mower will move on flat ground but not uphill or against a wall and you don't see anything moving under the mower then the engine to tranny belt is at fault. Even if the key was shot in the tranny you would still see the large pulley on the bottom of the tranny rotating.