PDA

View Full Version : question about my mower.

clncut
05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I have a 2002 exmark lazer hp. I went out and bought another exmark same size and hp. Ive noticed on my older model the bars are very touchy. I barely pull back to come to neutral and the tires will lock up to a skid and shake the mower left and right. On the newer model I do not have this problem.

I do all the maintenance on my mowers just like the manuel states. The handles do not feel like they are gummed up. I did adjust the knob so the mower would track straight but it was doing this before I did the adjustment.

Anyone else have this problem or any ideas on how to fix this. Its hard for the guy Im training to make straight lines if the mowers jerking all over when he is trying to stop or slow down. :realmad:

Thanks in advance.

Grass Masters
05-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Jerking?? When ever any of my mowers start that it is time to change all hydro fluids and filters

and then it is fixed

Also what does the tires look like (condition) (air) Etc

clncut
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Tire tread is still good, just changed the air filter the start of this season. Hydro fluid.......I will have to change that and see what happens. Thanks. Anyone else?

ed2hess
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
To adjust hydro on Scag and Snapper I jack the unit up and put it on jack stands. Then start the unit and check to be sure that in neutral the tires are not rotating. YOur problem sounds like the tires will be rotating backward hence when you come into neutral the unit wants to jump back a little. I am sure there is a fine turn adjustment for the problem. Just my 2 cents.

CincyWolf
05-18-2005, 10:45 PM
clncut - check the damping cylinders that return your bars to neutral. If those get worn out everything will be touchy. They are gas charged cylinders so they will leak down over time similar to the lift supports on the hoods or liftgates of cars, vans or trucks. You might need to change your Mobil 1 hydro oil and filter but the above is worth a check.

mowit12000
05-18-2005, 11:47 PM
i agree with cincywolf, had the same problem on a toro and an exmark that had about 1300 something and 1700 something hours on them, replace both cylinders and the problem should be gone

clncut
05-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I will probably go ahead and change the hydro oil. Checked the oil and it did seem slightly low. The mower only has 400 hrs. I will also get the wheels of the ground to make sure nothing turns at neutral.

Thanks again.
John

Grass Masters
05-19-2005, 10:49 PM
John

Most mowers call for the Hydron system t be changed at around 500 hours

If you do alot of hilly areas then that number could be cut by a third which would mean time to do it now

South Florida Lawns
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
just the filter and top it off with 15w-50 mobile 1

Grass Masters
05-20-2005, 12:02 AM
400 hours he needs to DRAIN the Fluid and put fresh back in it

CincyWolf
05-20-2005, 12:27 AM
If your damping cylinders are shot it will cause this problem. If you've ever played a video game with a joystick with the spring tension or the forced feedback turned down too far you'll find out the joystick is too sensitive to use. Same principle if those damping cylinders are worn out. If this is the case all the oil changing and neutral checking will do no good.

Since you have 2 of the same mower this would be an easy thing to compare and you could swap the cylinders in 10 minutes and see if this swaps the problem. If so, you've nailed it, if not then go to the next thing on your list. Don't start out with the most difficult thing to do.

clncut
05-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Thanks again for all the replies. Ill let ya know what I come up with.

John