PDA

View Full Version : Cutting full throttle

Smithers
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
It may sound like a stupid question, but do you cut grass at wide open throttle?

I read a thread by Terry (exmark) regarding the fuel consumption. ....in it he said that it depends if the person cuts at WOT.

I always cut at WOT because i thought that the grass is cut the sharpest and cleanest at the highest RPM. otherwise, it would just tear it off.

how about the trimmer? do you press to the max if you dont have to?

any opinions?

Bret's Lawn Care
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
I cut at wide open and only fill up every 20 lawns same with the trimmer

Eddie B
05-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Not cutting at full throttle puts unnecessary strain on the engine. As far as trimmers, I only cut at full if I have to. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Sweetwater
05-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Wide open baby!!! RPM should be 3600 at full throttle and should dip less than 100 under load of baldes. Terry would probably agree with this.

ALarsh
05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
The mowers are made to cut at full throttle. Yes I cut at full throttle. I vary trimmer speed by how much I am cutting off.

MowerMoney
05-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I always run at full throttle. And on the 2 cycle trimmers, etc, they are designed to run at full throttle. If you don't , the oil in the oil/gas mixture does not get fully consumed and the excess oild will eventually gum up the carberator.

pjslawncare/landscap
05-18-2005, 09:43 PM
The govoner maintains a desired rpm. The factory recomended rpm speed for a working motor running at extended periods of time is 3,600 rpm for best performance and efficient operation. Most govoners are set to this speed and different motors use different set speeds, but yes, u should run any mower at its set rpm speed which is full throttle.

Smithers
05-18-2005, 09:44 PM
The mowers are made to cut at full throttle. Yes I cut at full throttle. I vary trimmer speed by how much I am cutting off.
yeah me too....i cut at WOT with the mower. i'd hate to double cut or cut until i find the right RPM for that particular lawn. it probably is unnesesary (sp) and it strains the engine

as far as the trimmer....if i am in heavy grass (tall and thick) i cut at WOT. otherwise, i just pull the trigger enough to get it cut.

wonder if it makes any difference.

oh, forgot to add...on my exmark, i dont have an RPM gauge. wish i did!

Mark McC
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I run mowers at full throttle, but not trimmers. They just hit me with too much crapola for that. If I can get the job done at half or 3/4 throttle, I do it. The manufacturer probably recommends full throttle at all times, but those engineers aint getting hit by gravel, wires, marbles, small pieces of hard plastic and other assorted garbage during the operation of these things, so I overruled them.

fel
05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Always WOT on the mower, but only as much as I need on the trimmer..

Smithers
05-18-2005, 09:51 PM
ok...so i feel better. i have been doing it right all along. just wanted to make sure. if not "right"....i have been doing what you guys are doing.

by the way....Mark....the gators will win this year. wanna bet? :):)

surfisher211
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
hey ed ,

i seen the jvc radio on ebay , and i need a new radio for my pick up . u taking any offers ? :) help a brother landscaper out :waving:

Mark McC
05-18-2005, 10:04 PM
by the way....Mark....the gators will win this year. wanna bet? :):)

What did you have in mind?

Smithers
05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
What did you have in mind?
oh, i dont know....like $10? i am not a big gambler.

Mark McC
05-18-2005, 10:07 PM
oh, i dont know....like $10? i am not a big gambler.

You're not exactly certain how it'll go for the Gators, either, are you? Make it $20 and you're on.

mkwl
05-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I run all of my equipment (mowers, blowers, trimmers, etc.) at full throttle. I've heard that it is better for the engines (2 cycle and 4 cycle) to run at full throttle.

proenterprises
05-18-2005, 11:06 PM
Everything is run WOT.

Max power=Max pain=Get er' done.

Eddie B
05-19-2005, 04:25 AM
hey ed ,

i seen the jvc radio on ebay , and i need a new radio for my pick up . u taking any offers ? :) help a brother landscaper out :waving:

Bid and I'll knock 5 bucks off of shipping if you win, just let me know your ebay ID. PM me with any other questions, i'm a retailer for the fog lights also if you want some good deals.

Todd's lawncare
05-19-2005, 05:40 AM
Bid and I'll knock 5 bucks off of shipping if you win, just let me know your ebay ID. PM me with any other questions, i'm a retailer for the fog lights also if you want some good deals.
I'm looking for fog lights whats your id ?

MarcSmith
05-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Mark, if you going in for 20 I want some of that action.......

Although I'll be happy if we beat south carolina....

Mark McC
05-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Mark, if you going in for 20 I want some of that action.......

Although I'll be happy if we beat south carolina....

I don't think Spurrier will have the Gamecocks (whan an unfortunate nickname for a team, no?) ready for a solid division I team in his first year, so not to worry.

You want $20 on FSU/UF? You got it. I prefer American currency, okay? :p

Smithers
05-19-2005, 09:23 AM
You're not exactly certain how it'll go for the Gators, either, are you? Make it $20 and you're on.
mark, you got it. you have a paypal account, right? If not, get one. you will need it to send me the money....hehehehe...

i think this year will be the one. for what....that's another story!

as far as SC.....not a chance in hell.

MarcSmith
05-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Mark Your on.....We'll be playing in The Swamp this year, so even with a new coach, home field advantage wil help us a bit....Gotta Love the swamp...

MarcSmith
05-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Mark Your on.....We'll be playing in The Swamp this year, so even with a new coach, home field advantage wil help us a bit....Gotta Love the swamp...

We need to get the twins from el agave involved somehow....

Eddie B
05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm looking for fog lights whats your id ?
click the link in my signature, or my ID is minivan_racer

Gravely_Man
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Everything is run wide open if at all possible. Most of the time the trimmer is really only run at 3/4 throttle.

Gravely_Man

Oldtimer
05-19-2005, 07:09 PM
The clutch on a trimmer doesn't lock up until about 2/3 of max engine speed. Runing extra long line and part throttle will help make you a preferred customer at your equipment store.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
05-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Mower is always run WOT be it a walk behind or a 21". Trimmers WOT if it is advantages but there are times in thinner grass WOT would just wack it all to hell. Blowers, of course WOT specially with the Redmax 8000 oh the power.

DennisF
05-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Check the owners manual. Every mower manual that I've read says to operate the engine at full throttle when cutting.

stumper1620
05-19-2005, 09:45 PM
WOT, that is what the manuals say and thats what i do, just off idle for clutch engagement, trimmers, blowers & all others,WOT that is what they are designed for. look at the old lawn boy or jac 2 cycle mowers, flip the switch to choke/on, pull rope to start and gov. control from there on, thats why they had such a long life span.

biglawndog
05-19-2005, 10:02 PM
The govoner maintains a desired rpm. The factory recomended rpm speed for a working motor running at extended periods of time is 3,600 rpm for best performance and efficient operation. Most govoners are set to this speed and different motors use different set speeds, but yes, u should run any mower at its set rpm speed which is full throttle.

Not only that, not running at full throttle with 2 cycle equipment will prematurely wear out the clutches.

Cimarron Landscape
05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Mower, WOT
Trimmer, I do as little as it takes. I was told by a guy 30 yrs in business that only newbies/homeowners run the trimmers at WOT. Guess that's not the case.
I've learned I prefer less, as then you don't look like swiss chees after some gravel. ;)
~Brian

marvinlee
05-19-2005, 10:56 PM
I seldom run the ZD-21 Kubota at full throttle. Mostly about 3/4-7/8 open. Why? That much RPM gives me the cut I want at less fuel consumption and noise. Once in a while, I work in really thick grass, then I open the throttle all the way. Wide open accounts for less than one percent of my mowing.

Kubota advises, page 29, to "Keep the engine runnigng at full throttle for best results." I think that's good advice from a grass cutting viewpoint and if I mowed the White House lawn, that is what I would do. But I don't.

Lower engine speed is justified in my case by the rough terrain that I mow. The speed limit is my ability to hang onto the seat.

Dashunde
05-20-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm astounded by the number of you that run your trimmers wide open.
What painful lives you must lead.

Mark McC
05-20-2005, 08:39 AM
mark, you got it. you have a paypal account, right? If not, get one. you will need it to send me the money....hehehehe...

i think this year will be the one. for what....that's another story!

as far as SC.....not a chance in hell.

Paypal, eh? I'll settle for currency delivered to my P.O. box. How sweet it will be!

Smithers
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Paypal, eh? I'll settle for currency delivered to my P.O. box. How sweet it will be!
i think you meant MY po box. not yours. sure. i like to wait for my checks. lol

Mark McC
05-20-2005, 08:48 AM
i think you meant MY po box. not yours. sure. i like to wait for my checks. lol

The oxygen is low where you live? I don't mind waiting for checks, but not for too bloody long!

Actually, FSU graduated a majority of their starters from both defense and offense, so experience is going to be an issue this season. Add to that the fact that the game is in Gainesville, and it does look like a tough game for the 'Noles.

Chris Leak is also a fine quarterback. I hope Bobby Bowden has someone with a hot hand for the QB and I hope that the FSU offensive coordinator, Jeff Bowden, finally has a few things figured out.

MarcSmith
05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
It will be a good game either way....I almost missed the game last year. I was on a cruise and we kept going in and out of the satellite coverage....

Mark McC
05-20-2005, 11:04 AM
It will be a good game either way....I almost missed the game last year. I was on a cruise and we kept going in and out of the satellite coverage....

They usually are good games and boy is there ever a lot of bad blood between these two teams. This is one of those games that you almost expect to result in a fight each year.

Charles
05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Back on topic of lawn care/thread

crawdad
05-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Mower- WFO Run it like you stole it.
Trimmer- as much as it takes, throttle down for light cutting.

JOEWOOD
05-21-2005, 08:45 AM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/corbis/DGT349/OYF20038.jpg

I run my throttle just high enough to get the job done! (And according to Ground Speed).

Joe :cool2:

crawdad
05-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I run my throttle just high enough to get the job done! (And according to Ground Speed).

Joe :cool2:

It is possible that your engine isn't getting cooled the way it was designed to be cooled, by the air flow around it at full throttle.
With most machines, ground speed is controlled by selecting a gear, or by the hydrostatic controls, not the throttle.
Crawdad

Gautreaux's LNG
05-21-2005, 02:45 PM
The engine speed controls the Blade tip speed. Higher blade tip speed, better cut. If you reduce the engine speed you slow the blades down.

Smithers
05-21-2005, 09:48 PM
The engine speed controls the Blade tip speed. Higher blade tip speed, better cut. If you reduce the engine speed you slow the blades down.
that's what i thought.....never really experimented with the slower blade speed to see the quality of the cut though........

LawnMower
07-19-2005, 11:06 PM
I just adjusted my throttle, and now it seems like its over revving. I didn't mess with the carb adjustments. Just the adjustment on the governor spring. It could be that I'm just not used to the higher and correct engine speed. But it dose seem like its too high of an RPM.

topsites
07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
You SHOULD cut on WOT but I turn the throttle down to right where it is about to lose rpm's, so about 90-95% - Still has the rpm's, just not the backup torque when it gets in tall grass it chokes a little easier but it also saves fuel and prolongs the life of the machine.

That, and I turn it down in the rocks and the dirt and on very steep hills.

Smithers
07-19-2005, 11:12 PM
a few weeks ago i read a thread on removing the trimmer guard...i removed mine and since i have not had any problem with trimming heavy grass. it's great. now i dont even have to cut at WOT with the guard off.

but i need new shins. lol