PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper final drive leak

jrc55
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
First post, nice site. Did a search and could not find anything, was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction instead of a new pump. I have a 720K that has started to leak from the seal on the axle (final drive?) shaft. The manuel does not show any seals and it has to be installed from the inside instead of just pulling tire,wheel and hub assembly, popping out the seal and driving in the new one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

CCWKen
05-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Doesn't that have a chain reduction final drive to the axles? Are you talking about a grease seal on the axle stub?
Or
The trans output shaft seals?

Did that model still use the Eaton transmissions? If so, the seal is behind the output bearing. You might be able to get at it from the outside by removing the snap ring, retaining ring and bearing. While you're at it, replace the bearing.

PLM-1
05-19-2005, 01:10 AM
I could prolly help you out if it was a G2 system. Maybe Mowingman will chime in. He's a GH dealer full of knowledge!!

Restrorob
05-19-2005, 06:45 AM
First post, nice site. Did a search and could not find anything, was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction instead of a new pump. I have a 720K that has started to leak from the seal on the axle (final drive?) shaft. The manuel does not show any seals and it has to be installed from the inside instead of just pulling tire,wheel and hub assembly, popping out the seal and driving in the new one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Joe.

If this is the Eaton unit,The only way is to remove the axle housing and replace from the inside,Also replace the bearing while in there. It's not worth taking a chance on the bearing,In most cases the bearing is what caused the seal to go bad.Be CAREFUL not to get any dirt contamination in this unit,Thats the #1 killer of any hydro unit.

Mowingman
05-19-2005, 09:55 AM
I am a Grasshopper dealer. Here is some info that may help. You have the Gemini Trans. in that machine. I assume your leak is at the outside end of the Axle housing assembly which is bolted to the trans. itself.
You will have to remove this axle housing assembly from the trans. case assembly to put in new seals and bearings. If you are not a pretty good mechanic, I would suggest you not attempt this repair and let your dealer do it for you.
CCWken, There is no chain drive on this unit. It is all hydrostatic.

jrc55
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks Mowingman that is what I was wanting to hear. I consider myself to be a decent wrenchbender aka grease monkey. I have not pulled the hub off yet to see if there is a # on the seal. My GH manuel does not show anything on the seal. I'd like to have the parts on hand before taking it apart, less chance of more problems down the road. Will the housing slide off of the axle shaft and the shaft and gears remain on? Any ideas on the seal # or where to get one? Presently just enough of a leak to leave a small spot when it is parked overnite and have had to only add fluid once in the past 3 months. By the way I've had it 9 years and I think for my situation of mowing in a mobile home park with all the obstacles the front deck is the best and yes I tried a Dixie Chopper, just another belly mower, LOL.

Thanks again, Joe.

Mowingman
05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Joe,
When you pull the axle housing assembly off the trans., there are no gears on that assembly worry about.
I would suggest you call the Grasshopper factory. Tell them you own a Grasshopper and want to repair a leaking seal on a Gemini trans. Ask to talk to someone in customer service. They can probably fax or email you a copy of the axle housing disassembly/reassembly instructions, along with a drawing and a parts list. Your dealer can then order the parts you want from Grasshopper.
I have only torn down two of these, both at Grasshopper service schools. There is no way I can explain what everything looks like, or how to do it. The "Axle housing" is the least complicated part of the whole hydr. trans. system. You do not have to remove the trans. to put the new seal in, that much I am sure of.
Be sure and have your model and serial number handy, as there are two different Gemini Trans., and they will need your numbers to determine which info you need.
You will probably need the bearing and a few other small parts, as well as the seal.