PDA

View Full Version : 4-6ft tall retaining wall

RedWingsDet
05-18-2005, 09:11 PM
what do I need to do to make sure the wall doesnt fall. The wall is to hold back obvisouly dirt/lawn/patio. They want me to give them a quote for a 700ft patio, and 130ft linear ft retaining wall using versalok or alan block. but sense its 4-6ft tall, what do I need to do to make sure it doesnt fall? concrete footing? obvisouly ill have to use mortar to hold em together, but what else?

ill get pix tomorrow

Toy2
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
I have just used Pavestone, I have used a dry cement mix for the footing and stacked from there..

mrusk
05-18-2005, 09:34 PM
By asking those questions, you proved that your not ready for the job.
Matt

FLD
05-18-2005, 09:35 PM
you need to re-enforce the fill area, on a no load wall, 2/3 the height of the wall. Most block companys say that no grid is required on walls to 4', but we have found, better safe than sorry. modular block walls work off the same principal as an off-set retaining wall, the same dirt that is trying to push the wall over is also holding the footing down and the wall up. You are going to excuvate the area and the back fill and compact anyway, so be safe and put grid in. Most block companies have design info if you ask.

RedWingsDet
05-18-2005, 09:44 PM
By asking those questions, you proved that your not ready for the job.
Matt

well im sorry, highest ive ever done was 3-4ft. I have an idea on how to do this, and am talking with other landscapers around my area about it, but It doesnt hurt to get other oppinions.

RedWingsDet
05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
im thinking of using either splitrock 2 or rockwood, the rockwood seems like it'd be better and is much heavier. what I planned on doing was building the wall about 2ft out from the exisiting wall and once I get the new wall up, backfilling it with 21aa and slagsand to help for better drainage rather than fill dirt.

but before putting it in, digging about a 1-2ft trench and filling 1ft with 21aa and then obvisouly level and stack.... oh and using grid, and then rebar and mortar/concrete to hold the blocks to eachother....

hardest part imo is going to be measuring and cutting the caps. I HATE the damn cap stones, they make the tight radi hard as hell to cut.

FLD
05-18-2005, 10:21 PM
this is not a good idea. if the old wall fails then your wall fails. 2 ft of grid is not enough to hold up a 6' wall so if the old wall moves then your wall is going to move.

RedWingsDet
05-18-2005, 10:22 PM
there is no old wall. they just renovated the house and got the dirt how they wanted and just want a retaining wall to go around it. when i said existing wall, i meant just the dirt...

ill get pix tomorrow and you'll see what I mean

mbella
05-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Mark, this is a good opportunity to begin to build a relationship with an engineer. If your wall is four to six feet tall, you should be contacting one.

kris
05-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Im not familiar with the block you talking about but Im not getting this .."of course Ill mortar them together?????

RedWingsDet
05-19-2005, 02:56 AM
well i didnt mean exactly mortar, but some kind of adhesive on the bottom of the blocks

YardPro
05-19-2005, 05:57 AM
get it engineered...
relieves you of liability...

also all your mortar, rebar, etc.... is way overkill..... spend that money on having an engineer design it..

neversatisfiedj
05-19-2005, 07:01 AM
I love versa-lok but allan block is cheaper in the long run. They are 8 " instead of 6". For a 400 face foot wall it is $800.00 cheaper ! Only requires 6" drain field behind it instead of 2'

RedWingsDet
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
i love alanblock, but the caps are so much harder to deal with. however ill see. last year i did 300linerar feet of alan block, it was tough but looked soooooo good

FLD
05-19-2005, 10:00 PM
On a wall this small an engineer is a waste of money. Check with your block Co/Dist and/or grid company to get engineering lit from them. You might be able to get a engineering progran from them, we have before. You might try to talk them into two walls instead of one if there is room. It will, 1:give you another area to landscape, 2: let you put some interest in the walls, and 3:it is a safty factor around a house. Someone can get hurt falling from a 3' wall, but not as likely as from a 6' wall. If you use two walls remember that the upper wall needs to be set back from the lower wall 133% the height of the lower wall so it does not load the lower wall.

RedWingsDet
05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
OIf you use two walls remember that the upper wall needs to be set back from the lower wall 133% the height of the lower wall so it does not load the lower wall.

sounds like a great idea... execpt i dont know what exactly you mean by the statement above.... like for instance if one wall is 3ft and another 3ft. then there has to be a 7ft width between the walls, correct?

mbella
05-19-2005, 10:07 PM
FLD, how many freeze/thaw cycles do you average in Georgia?

kris
05-19-2005, 10:11 PM
I havent heard the 133% but I instead thought it was twice the distance of the height of the bottom wall... so ya 6 -7 ft. ... listen... a few guys have told you...ask the manufacturer for help ..ours does it free of charge and even came out to a site today that is fairly complicated....not so much to give us advise but to just look around.

RedWingsDet
05-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I havent heard the 133% but I instead thought it was twice the distance of the height of the bottom wall... so ya 6 -7 ft. ... listen... a few guys have told you...ask the manufacturer for help ..ours does it free of charge and even came out to a site today that is fairly complicated....not so much to give us advise but to just look around.

I asked the landscape store, they said to use the big versa lok, its like 70 or 80lbs for a 17in long block. I think if I do 2 3footers I'd be set doing it that way. But like you said im going to call and get someone to come out, or show them pic's... however im going to try to talk the homeowner into getting 2 3footers. It'd look better too imo.

THANKS GUYS!

kootoomootoo
05-19-2005, 10:34 PM
I would run a 4ft wall will geogrid and a 2ft wall.....reduce the load by 33% on the bottom wall over using a 3/3.... I also swore never to use the big versalok again....too friggin heavy...Mosaic pattern looks good but the cobbles are easier to throw around....bigguns means lots of $$$$$

FLD
05-20-2005, 06:37 AM
We live in the mtns of N GA, but winter haven't been that bad lately, so the number of freeze thaw cycles have been few lately. The lowest I remember this winter was 3 to 5, but not for that long. Like I said earlier, the bloc and grid companies provide engineering data for you FREE, so get it. The 133% is the distance to take the height load off the bottom wall fron the top wall, so for instance if the bottom wall was 3' high, then then the top wall would need to be 4' behind it. But remember that is to not have any load on the bottom wall, if walls are closer, then the bottom wall needs to be reenforced for it is all. Iis all about weight and weight transfers on a 45deg plane.

FLD
05-20-2005, 06:45 AM
Mark, don't screw around with the landscape store, go straight to the dist for the block. The block will be cheaper, they want you to be succesful so they will sell more block, and they should able to help you with questions like this.