PDA

View Full Version : Can you figure how much to bid by using a 21" ?

BryPaulD
05-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Say you figure an estimate as though you are using a standard 21" mower, just like the days of old. How long it would take you to cut it and thats the price. Then you now have a bigger mower, of course gets job done faster = same money faster. OR say I bid a small lawn cut @ $40 and it takes me fourty five mins. to do it with a 21" and do you tell them $20 because it only takes you twenty mins. ? Does this make sence? just a thought

BSDeality
05-18-2005, 09:28 PM
use what tool is right for the job, big property = big mower. charge accordingly.

drsogr
05-18-2005, 09:29 PM
What would be the point of having better equipment if you could "make" more money with a 21" mower?

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
No it should be the same if not you still wont make money . And that the point ? Just my 2 cents

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
What would be the point of having better equipment if you could "make" more money with a 21" mower?
And you wouldn't make more money with a 21 . Because it would take twice as long and if you could do 40 with a Z-trun and went with the 21 you could only do half so .............................. You wouldn't make more just the same but work more .

BryPaulD
05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
No it should be the same if not you still wont make money . And that the point ? Just my 2 cents

that's what I was thinking (should be the same). I bring in a 48" mower but think of it as I would use a 21"

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Do you already cut it or are you just asking for the heck of it ?

BryPaulD
05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
pretty much just asking for the heck of it. Was just a thought. Thinking well this lawn will only take me 15 mins. to cut with a 48" should I charge only $15- $20, or think this would take me 45 mins. to do with a 21" so charge $40? Basically somethinking like $40 an hour with a 21" and $60 - $70 an hour with a "48. Does this sound right??

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 09:55 PM
I don't do the hour thing for mowing because some times it can be done in 15 with all the guys working but when its just me you get the point ...... And i never did by the hour because i don't have one that take more then an hour so . But it sound about right if you do it that way .

BryPaulD
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Neat thought. Just for estimates sake when someone wants to know how much it will cost.

drmiller100
05-18-2005, 10:18 PM
what is it worth to the owner? If you are mowing with a 21 inch and charging 40 bucks, i'll knock on the door and offer to do it for 30 bucks after you leave.
you take 40 minutes to do it, i take 8 minutes. owner wants his lawn mowed by someone that is a pro in the business. my ztr makes me a pro.

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 10:20 PM
what is it worth to the owner? If you are mowing with a 21 inch and charging 40 bucks, i'll knock on the door and offer to do it for 30 bucks after you leave.
you take 40 minutes to do it, i take 8 minutes. owner wants his lawn mowed by someone that is a pro in the business. my ztr makes me a pro.
Your a funny guy you must be the lowballer in your town huh ?

Appalachian landscape
05-19-2005, 02:14 AM
If it's worth $40 a cut, that's what it's worth. If it only take you half the time with a bigger mower, then good for you. The only way to make money is to be as efficiant as possible. You should not be penalized for being efficient. It's worth what it's worth.

Appalachian landscape
05-19-2005, 02:16 AM

what a joke.

crawdad
05-19-2005, 06:56 AM

And your actions make you a lowballer.

LawnBrother
05-19-2005, 09:33 AM
I do mostly smaller residential properties, and I usually do price by how long it will take with a 21". When I estimate I try to make $1 a minute on a lawn with a 21", and then I cut it with a 44" if I can. payup Efficiency is all-important. Of course, every lawn is different, and after a while you just go with your gut more than anything. Some lawns take more time than planned, and others less. It all evens out by the end of the day. I guess what I am trying to say is that a lawn is worth what a customer is willing to pay, and your job on an estimate is to get as much as you possibly can for it. By that reasoning, I think estimating with a 21" in mind is a good place to start most of the time for small props.