PDA

View Full Version : sod

Toy2
05-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Homeowner down the street asked me about replacing the existing lawn with St. Aug.....I told them the grass needs to be removed and maybe some topsoil installed then the sod......today I drive by and the homeowner was installing the sod over the lawn...it looked like the lawn was scalped???Will this take?

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't know . But i have a ?? about sod and large company did some here looks real good but . It's a real dark green and the other stuff is light and you can tell . It's been a few weeks and is still the same . I was wondering if it will always look like that or will it blind in ???? Sorry but i was wondering .

BSDeality
05-18-2005, 10:01 PM
it should be fine, the old grass will just act like an absorbant soil layer to hold water and nutrients (provided it isn't compacted making a water pan)

edit:
the sod is dark green because the sod farm pushes insane amounts of N through their grass to get maximum growth to get it off the farm faster. On the other hand the seeded grass may not be as green because it is thinner (and more soil is showing), has less nitrogen or is a different variety of grass. Assuming it is a similar or the same blend of grass the rest of the lawn will green up to match the sod.

Turf Technologies
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
It should be fine.As long as he keep it watered, twice a day an hr each zone.

Yeah Todd it should blend in. Sod may of come from a diffrent area then where its at now, just needs to adjust to your local area.

cuttinjoe
05-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Homeowner down the street asked me about replacing the existing lawn with St. Aug.....I told them the grass needs to be removed and maybe some topsoil installed then the sod......today I drive by and the homeowner was installing the sod over the lawn...it looked like the lawn was scalped???Will this take?

I scalped a few small spots and also a couple of road ditches before laying sod and it took.

Todd's lawncare
05-18-2005, 10:08 PM
The grass thats there is real green but the sod it DARK i was just wondering it would look funny if it didn't blind . And i don't do sod at all thats why i asked .

BSDeality
05-18-2005, 10:10 PM
its probably a different variety of grass.

oughtsix
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
I have been told that fertilizer with iron is used on turf farms to get that deep dark green color?

GreenUtah
05-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Often sod producers will apply heavy(6-12 oz per thousand) iron applications just prior to harvest. The whole purpose of sod is that insta-wow factor in the first place. It's also their new billboard in your neighborhood for their product, so they want to make as big of an impact as possible. Of course, different farms have diferent ideas of what they are after in color and thickness. With bluegrass seed alone consisting of over 750 varieties, there are certainly huge differences using plants designed for deep color(midnight for ex.) Assuming proper care is taken of the old and new lawn, there may be a significant difference between the two parts for a long time. The bright side? Likely the abuse, neglect, soil compaction, lack of fert/water/mowing properly that facilitated the need for sod in the first place, may soon have the new grass looking as bad as the old, a perfect match! = )

GreenUtah
05-19-2005, 06:42 PM

It will probably take, but what was wrong with the old lawn? Compaction, weeds, uneven? If those aren't addressed, they'll just become the new sod's problems too. Especially if it were compacted, I cannot see anything grabbing a good root hold on cement.

Toy2
05-19-2005, 06:57 PM
It wasn't taken care of, weeds, differ ant types of grass, they just moved here, I told them to pull the old stuff out, get some topsoil on and then the sod.........to much $$ I guess.....

trying 2b organic
05-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Keep us posted on this lawn. I've always wondered if that would work. I would like to think that a customer taking such a dramatic attempt to save money on prep would fail but I need to know for sure. Did they at least use glyphosate on what was there?

Toy2
05-22-2005, 08:11 PM
As far as I can tell nothing was put down, I really think they set the mower at the lowest setting and after that, they laid down the sod????I drive by everyday...today they had a hose and sprinkler going??? :dizzy:

eruuska
05-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I would think that aerating the daylights out of the sub-lawn prior to sod installation would help. I actually had a job lined up (ended up falling through) where I was going to put down about 6000 sq feet over really thin grass. I had planned on doing LOTS of aerating prior to the sod going down, to give the sod's roots somethin' to grab on to.

SWD
05-23-2005, 07:02 AM
With out much in the way of preparation, my experience says no.
Central Texas is notorious for the heavy clay soils, compaction, poor infiltration rates, essentially non existent exchange sites and low organic content are just a few of the more prevalent problems.
Unless properly addressed, the homeowner will experience failure with this turf as with the old.