PDA

View Full Version : Using God to get more biz????

LAWNS AND MOWER
05-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Past a guy today and to protect the guilty, lets say the name of his service was XXX Lawn Care. The motto on his magnetic signs was......Will Mow Til Jesus Comes.....Now I don't have any problems at all with people having relationships with God and Jesus, but to use this as advertising? Sorry, doesn't fly with me. It's a personal matter and should remain that way.

Green Pastures
05-19-2005, 01:45 AM
According to the Word of God, "it" (your relationship with Jesus Christ) is not a personal matter.

"It" is supposed to change your life so much for the better that others can't help but notice that you are different. Others are supposed to be drawn to you.

Matt 5:14-16
14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
NIV

I would not use my Christianity one way in front of some people and another way in front of others. Nor would I "use" my Christianity for my gain. I do have a very subtle reference to Jesus in the logo's on the truck though.

God is THE source of all business anyway, weather you acknowledge it or not. He is the creator of the universe and all things are currently being held together by Him. So in a way we all use God to get more business. I pray every day for not only more business but the right customers that He want's me to have.

Prov 10:22
22 The blessing of the LORD brings wealth,
and he adds no trouble to it.
NIV

JRAZ
05-19-2005, 02:06 AM
what if it was a reference to Buddha, Allah, or any other religious symbol? What about companies that use patriotism to gain customers? I see many companies have adopted patriotic slogans and such in recent years. I don't think there is any ethical line crossed as long as it is for altruistic purposes, but you have to wonder if it is just a play on peoples emotions. In most cases I think it is just to evoke an emotion from potential clients. We all try to evoke emotions to call us in our advertising. In the end it is about your work. If you do poor work then whatever tagline or mktg scheme you use will result in a failing business. May be this guy is trying to work only for christian clients?

TClawn
05-19-2005, 02:09 AM
I don't know if having that sign helped the guy at all. he would offend christians (myself included) and offend non-christians. so either way, he loses, except maybe for the people who really don' care.

LAWNS AND MOWER
05-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Nor would I "use" my Christianity for my gain (Green Pastures)

My point exactly. But this guy is and he's trying to use this as a form of advertising.

Green Pastures
05-19-2005, 02:37 AM
I don't see it as you described it as "advertising".

Appalachian landscape
05-19-2005, 02:47 AM
I was thinking of having a bible verse included on flyers I hang in or near churches. I think it could help in advertising in those locations. I, however would never call anyone with any open affiliation to any organization. Keep your superstions to your self.

JimLewis
05-19-2005, 03:12 AM
I don't know if having that sign helped the guy at all. he would offend christians (myself included) and offend non-christians. so either way, he loses, except maybe for the people who really don' care.

I don't get it. You're offended that someone said they're going to go about their business till Jesus comes??? And your a Christian??? Which part of that offends you? That he mentioned Jesus or that he mentioned the second coming? You're offended when people bring their faith out openly in public, is that it? I am trying to think of who your heros might be in the Bible. Because most of the Christian leaders mentioned in the Bible were VERY outward about their faith - to everyone they met. From Jesus to Paul to the rest of the apostles to John the Baptist and on down the line.

I'm not saying it's the wisest thing to do from a marketing standpoint to use a Christian statement. But you're offended??? Really? Wow. Honestly, I am stunned. You must have read a different Bible than the one I have. Because in the one I have, pretty much all of the people God highlights are people who went out on a limb proclaiming their faith openly - even dispite the fact that it wasn't the wisest move for them personally.

joeg2246
05-19-2005, 04:08 AM
"Never mix Politics or Religion with Business"

Charles
05-19-2005, 05:38 AM
This is No place for a religious vs athiest war and that the only direction this thread can lead to