PDA

View Full Version : Ever just check to see if you deck is level?

KathysLGC
05-19-2005, 02:36 PM
Ok boys i'm talking about the deck on your mower. Put the rulers away....

I need new front tires for my Lazer and decided to make sure the deck was level. It was almost right on. I checked 2004 TTHP and it was way off. The rear tires have equal PSI and both are like new. The front tires are the Exmark no flat tires. I have about a 1" difference from one side to the other.
I figured since this machine was pretty much new when I got it, it was fine. Any one ever make it a habit to check there decks every once in a while?

MarcSmith
05-20-2005, 07:01 AM
I would think 1 inch would be very easliy noticable on fresh cut grass.....

I made a point on one of better laws that was really flat to run the mower slow and take a close look at the cut to make sure it was close.....It did find myelf adding the occasional pound of air or two to tweak it once in a while...

stumper1620
05-20-2005, 07:30 AM
only takes a miniute, check mine on a weekly basis, along with all other maintance items.

bobcat175
05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Are you measuring the deck with a level? Or are you measuring the blade tip to the ground (same clock position) height of each of the blades?

South Florida Lawns
05-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I bet its still level only 16 hrs. :)

stumper1620
05-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Are you measuring the deck with a level? Or are you measuring the blade tip to the ground (same clock position) height of each of the blades?
i measure with a deck gauge on the tips.

Jason Rose
05-21-2005, 12:34 AM
I can usually tell by the cut if it's off. How it gets off is beyond me tho. My decks are hung with threaded "L" bolts with lock nuts on them. No way the nuts are moving up and down on the bolts. But I guess over time things warp and bend a little with use and abuse and a small tweak here can be amplified all the way at the edge of the cutting deck.

I really need to find one of those John Deere deck gagues. Measuring the blades with a tape is only really easy on the discharge side. The other 2 blades make me feel like a fool down on the concrete with my face trying to hold a tape under the deck and read it right.

I try to check tire air pressure weekly or so. a few pounds difference one side to the other can maks a BIG difference in level. Mower tires are pretty soft and really change in diameter with higher and lower pressures. I can tell my machine is cutting too low at the 3" setting so I check the pressure and it's at 20 psi instead of 22 psi. I add the 2 to each side and believe it or not I can see the difference in the cut height and quality.

Precision
05-21-2005, 07:48 PM
I really need to find one of those John Deere deck gagues. Measuring the blades with a tape is only really easy on the discharge side. The other 2 blades make me feel like a fool down on the concrete with my face trying to hold a tape under the deck and read it right.

So don't. Take a 5" scrap piece of wood and mark the heights at 1.4 inch increments. Then you can just slide that under the deck and see what it says.

that is what I do.

Richard Martin
05-22-2005, 07:23 AM
So don't. Take a 5" scrap piece of wood and mark the heights at 1.4 inch increments. Then you can just slide that under the deck and see what it says.

You can also take that 5" scrap of wood and cut it to whatever height you want the blades set at. If you like your blades at 3 inches just cut a 3 inch piece of wood. Slide it under the deck and you can easily tell whether the blades are high or low.

Shawns Lawns
05-22-2005, 07:53 AM
i check deck level every week i want to make sure it gives a nice clean cut. :waving:

topsites
05-22-2005, 08:48 AM
I use fixdeck WB's only, wouldn't know what you speak of.

Jpocket
05-22-2005, 05:57 PM
If the mower cuts fine, why check it? I mean if you leave a beautiful cut on a lawn than that should tell you everthing is A OKAY