PDA

View Full Version : I've got to screen my calls better.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Got a call just a short while ago. A lady wanted to know what I'd charge to mow a corner lot, 1 time. Her mower is broken. :help:
I told her I don't give quotes over the phone. So I get there and it about 150'x20' and about 10 inches long. I told her 45 bucks and I have an opening tomorrow afternoon. She says, "Well, you're quite a bit higher than the others." I say, "OK, thank you." and turn to walk away. She says,"Don't you want to know what the other bids were?" "No thanks.", I said. Then I asked her how many had looked at the lawn. She admitted I was the first. I said, "That's why I don't care what the other bids were."

I think I'll go by a few times, tomorrow, and see which guy with the bicycle pulling a 21" mower is doing it. :waving: :dizzy:

PS I'll tell them to watch for land mines as she had 3 rather large dogs in the house. :laugh:

Tharrell
05-20-2005, 04:26 AM
Land mines! That's funny, and accurate. We're developing a unique vocabulary of our own here. That one should be included in a faq along with pita, etc...

AL Inc
05-20-2005, 06:07 AM
I've said it here before, I think many people lie just to see what our reaction will be. You did the right thing by standing your ground. I wonder if there is a forum out there where people can get ideas to scam their service people. Because many try the same dumb tricks.

Remsen1
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Land mines! That's funny, and accurate. We're developing a unique vocabulary of our own here. That one should be included in a faq along with pita, etc...

We've always called them land mines and it still makes me giggle everytime I say it, hear it, or think about it :)

crawdad
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Dog bombs, lawn cigars, steamers, come on let's hear them.

ChadA
05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Dog bombs, lawn cigars, steamers, come on let's hear them.

Piles of Sh**.

Tn Lawn Man
05-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I think you handled it correctly.

However, this made me think of another topic, maybe for another thread. It is phone quotes.

Unlike many LCOs I have developed a system of giving many quotes over the phone. I have found that it works great!

People like the fact that they don't have to wait around for someone to come out, look at the lawn, and either meet with them or get back to them on the phone.

I like the fact that I don't put a ton of miles on my trucks and waste a ton of useless hours bidding jobs that I don't get.

I have found as well that it has increased my sales rate. People are more likely to use my service this way.

I save time, money and increase sales and customer satisfaction.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-20-2005, 12:01 PM
so are you going to share??????

Gravely_Man
05-20-2005, 01:04 PM
The potiential customer may have been trying to talk you down on price by bring up the other quotes. But you were there and I wasn't if you got the feeling she just wanted the cheapest price possible then walking away was the right thing to do.

Gravely_Man

Todd's lawncare
05-20-2005, 03:11 PM
vapoorise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DennisF
05-20-2005, 03:37 PM
I don't give bids once the mowing season hits high gear. If you're getting calls for mowing bids during the heavy growth season, it's usually price shoppers. If someone says they need an emergency cut because their regular guy hasn't been around, then I tell them I'll do the job at the end of the day or the next morning. I usually charge double the going rate for emergency cuts. That keeps the price shoppers away.

prolawncorp
05-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Thats a great one !!!!!!! 45 bucks sounds low to me

south jerz
05-20-2005, 04:30 PM
getting a personality and learning how to deal with people? That is a completely asinine way of handling the situation. With just a few minutes of conversation you could've discovered that no one had come out, then convince her that is the reason your bid is higher. Not "well that's why I don't care what the other bids were". Do you realize how rude that sounds?

My company specializes in lawn maintenance and I'm tired of all these lawncutters with their holier than thou attitude. It's low-skill work that anyone can do and 45 dollars for 3,000 sq ft of grass is ridiculous, no matter how long the grass. We have 10 and 11k foot lawns for $25 and we're in and out and on the road with 2 guys in less than 10 minutes. If it could've been a weekly account you might want to try "normally it will be $25, but I have to charge you $35 for your first cut to get everything under control". Not "OK, thank you". If your dumb ass had told me 45 bucks a cut for that size lawn I would've BS'd about other bids too. You didn't even let it play out at all. You people need to realize that anyone can be in this business, it requires little skill and training and it's up to you to make your business strategy, which includes dealing with people correctly, help you win the game. Good luck you're going to need it.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-20-2005, 04:56 PM
For someone who professes to have such wonderful communication skills, your tone sounds a little harsh. Perhaps you wouldn't have handled it that way. Fine. People come here for advice from others in the industry, not to be belittled and told what a dumb azz they are.

++++That is a completely asinine way of handling the situation++++

++++If your dumb ass had told me...++++

++++You people...++++

++++Good luck you're going to need it++++

I am really getting tired of seeing thread after thread of people be-littling one another. It is childish and unprofessional. I don't know if there has been conflict brewing between south jerz and Remsen 1 or not, but from what I've seen, south jerz is out of line with this response. Welcome to my always increasing ignore list, south jerz.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

trying 2b organic
05-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Getting good at screening calls is an art that takes practice and experience. I dont do -one time cuts- they are always pita and I rarely get the job cause I wont do them for less than 3 times the normal rate, its just not worth it. If its a job I dont mind not getting then give a high estimate on the phone, thats what screening is about. Say, "ok well if it hasnt been cut yet this yr it will be at least $45.00. If you are still interested I will sched the cut for when you are home and confirm the price when I arrive. Also I need to be paid upon completion for one time cuts."

south jerz
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
just all these people who are constantly telling customers to go f themselves when they could be winning business and growing their company. Courtesy is a necessity in the lawn mowing business, not on the lawn mowing forum, so I don't feel the need to hold back. I only act rude towards rude people, you get what you give. Wow, my ego is shattered now that I am on DFW's ignore list. I was just wondering, how does it feel to always have to be in second place in the DFW area? I heard Justmowit just bought a new S-10 with some 21's and he needs a crew leader. How about it? If you can't beat them, join them.

0money
05-20-2005, 06:52 PM
What I was saying all along over payed scrubs, I mean lawn prose or better yet you could be a high dollar scrub with no people skills
:gunsfirin

Appalachian landscape
05-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I don't waste my time either when someone tells me they have lower quotes. I figure your best deal first (in most cases) and if you don't like it, call the other guy.

YardPro
05-20-2005, 09:36 PM
getting a personality and learning how to deal with people? That is a completely asinine way of handling the situation. With just a few minutes of conversation you could've discovered that no one had come out, then convince her that is the reason your bid is higher. Not "well that's why I don't care what the other bids were". Do you realize how rude that sounds?

My company specializes in lawn maintenance and I'm tired of all these lawncutters with their holier than thou attitude. It's low-skill work that anyone can do and 45 dollars for 3,000 sq ft of grass is ridiculous, no matter how long the grass. We have 10 and 11k foot lawns for $25 and we're in and out and on the road with 2 guys in less than 10 minutes. If it could've been a weekly account you might want to try "normally it will be $25, but I have to charge you $35 for your first cut to get everything under control". Not "OK, thank you". If your dumb ass had told me 45 bucks a cut for that size lawn I would've BS'd about other bids too. You didn't even let it play out at all. You people need to realize that anyone can be in this business, it requires little skill and training and it's up to you to make your business strategy, which includes dealing with people correctly, help you win the game. Good luck you're going to need it.

LOL
yea, you're a real pro...

we get $35 for a 500sq foot lawn here. lots of our ocean front homes only have a small grass area on one side....

so who is the better business person.... someone who only gets $25.00/ 10kSQFT OR someone who is able to generate $700.00 for the same sq footage???????

....things that make you go hummmm?????????????????

Shawns Lawns
05-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Got a call just a short while ago. A lady wanted to know what I'd charge to mow a corner lot, 1 time. Her mower is broken. :help:
I told her I don't give quotes over the phone. So I get there and it about 150'x20' and about 10 inches long. I told her 45 bucks and I have an opening tomorrow afternoon. She says, "Well, you're quite a bit higher than the others." I say, "OK, thank you." and turn to walk away. She says,"Don't you want to know what the other bids were?" "No thanks.", I said. Then I asked her how many had looked at the lawn. She admitted I was the first. I said, "That's why I don't care what the other bids were."

I think I'll go by a few times, tomorrow, and see which guy with the bicycle pulling a 21" mower is doing it. :waving: :dizzy:

PS I'll tell them to watch for land mines as she had 3 rather large dogs in the house. :laugh:

I was at one of my customers homes and the neighbor came out and asked if i did lawncare (the lettered truck and trailer aparently was not a clue) i told her yes and she wanted a quote for a one time cut since her tractor was not working. Her lawn was not cut yet this year so told her to trim cut and bag it was $55 and she said it seemed to high so i said if she wanted to trim (she had her electric trimmer out) and rake the clipping it would be $40 she still wanted to think about it. It would be nice to do her lawn since i was already there but its not worth doing it for next to nothing because i am already there!! :waving: