PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to get started?

slapshotmike24
05-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi! Sealcoating seems like a good source of extra income. Could someone fill me in on the overhead, equipment, and the details of sealcoating. All I know is you need the big tank that you put on a trailer. Any advice would be great! :help:

kipcom
05-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Depends on what type you want to apply ? Hot or Cold ?

:cool2:

Mdirrigation
05-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Depends on what type you want to apply ? Hot or Cold ?

:cool2:

There is no "hot" applied sealcoating. There are 3 types , coal tar emulsion, ( mostly east of the mississippi , asphalt emulsion mostly west coast , and gilsonite based sealer (the worst ) .

Been doing sealcoating as a added service for 10 years .

DJ Contracting
05-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Same here i found a company called Star Seal Coat of Ohio that have a 275 gal. poly tank motor pump and wand for $999.95 and plus shipping and taxes. Now for me i may try one for the cost right now i use the five gal, and broom. Oh the motor and pump act as an agitator by recirculating the material.

Mdirrigation
05-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Dont waste your money , seriously , find acu seal on the web he is in Maryland , makes a good set up . That poly square tank and trash pump is a joke . My 550 tank is 15 years old and still going strong . My squeege machine is a 1972 and works great .

RICHIE K
05-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Last year we had alot of customer request sealcoating, so I added it to our list of services last year we did 17 driveways. Not bad extra money payup

Richie K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

Itsgottobegreen
05-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Listen to Mdirrigation he knows what he is talking about. I have seen his stuff. He has a lot of seal coating machines. And other really neat toys.

BMFD92
05-23-2005, 10:56 PM
I work for a seal coating business. It is me and two other guys. It is a dirty and hard business but you can come home on a one day job with a boat load of money. I do customers driveways by hand with a brush and its a pain but I get some good dough

KivaKid
07-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Seal-Coating is definitley hard, dirty work! I started a pesticide program for an asphalt company, and to keep busy when I'm not spraying I got a CDL to drive the tanker seal-coat truck and dirt trucks. Well, I spend about 90% of my days out in the hot sun with a broom/hose/squeegee in my hand. We broom and blow clean before coating. Not exactly what I had in mind when I started there, but it seems like the company makes pretty decent money on it. Gas stations are THE WORST to seal-coat!!! UGH!!! PEOPLE!!! 1/2 the station one day, the other half a day or two later. People will drive right through safety cones/caution tape! They won't be convinced to do it at night! ;)

SealAndCoat
07-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Its not easy work, and very messy. I just started my business this year and invested A LOT of money but it will start trickeling back to me eventually.

You will at least need the following:
Materials (duh)
Truck ($28,500) in my case but you can get a cheap $3k used old truck.
Trailer (optional but helpful, I am going to be borrowing one from a friend)
300 or 550 or 700 or bigger trailer or skid mounted tank/spray unit (don't have one yet, hopefully soon) At least $11,500 for a 300 or more. You want one with a motor, hand agitation is a joke.
Back pack leaf blower (Stihl BR420 Magnum, $420 or so)
Direct fire melter with hand agitation for applying hot-pour crack-fill material ($1300)
Propane, strikers, etc.
Propane Torch
Weed whacker (i am probably going to get a stihl with an edger and broom attachment)
Depending on your state, home improvement registration, insurance, business filing fees, etc.
Squeegees (good aluminum ones) roughly $50-65 each depending on size, trust me, you want a bunch of different sized ones, you don't want to be doing a whole driveway with an 18" I have an 18", 36" and a 48", I am going to get a 60"
Power washer ($1,000+ for a good one)
Brooms, shovels, etc.
Hand tamp for packing down cold-patch.
Business cards, flyers, $ for classified advertising.
Job signs
etc. etc. etc.

Other things I want to get:
Billy goat blower $850-1300

Stroker
08-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Dont waste your money , seriously , find acu seal on the web he is in Maryland , makes a good set up . That poly square tank and trash pump is a joke . My 550 tank is 15 years old and still going strong . My squeege machine is a 1972 and works great .

Ive tried to find what you are refering to with google and am having no luck. Please post some links if you get a chance....

Mdirrigation
08-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Go to www.parkinglotplanet.com plenty of info and links

tonecold
10-26-2005, 11:28 PM
you can receive a free publication by logging on to pavementonline.com .It is very helpful in the sealcoating and sweeping industry. It also has a large assortment of vendors and very good articles about sealing. i hope this will be helpful.

Protective
11-03-2005, 04:04 AM
For more info on sealcoating go to pavementpro.com...parkinglotplanet is a great site but is mostly for line striping...check out seal-rite and able industries for equipment...also there is "start up" guide called Successful Sealcoating Made Simple...it is not a cheap $20 -$30 how to start a business guide...there is alot of good info and a video is included and a membership to their forum...when I bought it it cost $199.00...

kirk brown
11-06-2005, 02:19 PM
All i did to get started was buy some cans of sealcoat, put an ad in the paper,clean the driveway and roll it on with a roller.
takes me about 2 hours and 30$ in material and i charge at least 150$.
good luck for next year.

DDT
12-04-2005, 02:00 AM
Most of that stuff is a bunch of rip-offs. Home Depot or Lowes will give you a good discount if you talk to the manager and buy by the pallet. There's some real money there.
But if you want the square tank set-up buy it from STAR seal of Ohio on their web site. They make them and sell them cheaper. Other people sell them on ebay and one guy in Oklahoma sells them too but they all come from STAR SEAL in Ohio. They seal the sealer too if you are in Ohio. It's funny people will pay $2,500 for the same exact thing they make at the plant & sell direct to the public for $900. Even the pictures are the same :dizzy:

The biggest reason to stay with Home Depot or Lowes is it keeps you out of trouble just in case. If you have any kind of tank you are supposed to have paperwork that says what you are hauling and all that other federal junk then if any ever spills or some idiot rear-ends your tank at a stop light the EPA will be all over you. If it's in buckets you can just say you are doing it for a friend or whatever and maybe a bucket or 2 gets spilled, not 200 gallons. Everything is labeled on the bucket by the company that makes it so no permits needed.
And it's the same stuff. It's a gold mine and by far the easiest way to get started. You already have the leaf blower, all you need is a good manager to make you a deal on a pallet at a time and an old broom to spread it.
And you can get great money, depending on the size of the drives an easy $200-$800 a day.
My first year I just did it part time and cleared over $5,000 just on summer week-ends. I found a Home Depot that would do almost 1/2 off if you ordered the whole pallet at a time and paid for it all and picked it up so they didn't have it in inventory. Quick money for everybody. :cool2:

mowalot
12-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Dont waste your money , seriously , find acu seal on the web he is in Maryland

I am thinking about adding sealcoating to my business. Does anyone have the web address to "acu seal.

Koter1
12-10-2005, 09:54 AM
"The biggest reason to stay with Home Depot or Lowes is it keeps you out of trouble just in case. If you have any kind of tank you are supposed to have paperwork that says what you are hauling and all that other federal junk then if any ever spills or some idiot rear-ends your tank at a stop light the EPA will be all over you."
That's funny in 17 years we were never quentioned about what's in our tanks. We've had our trucks weighed and gotten tickets for not tying down tools, but no police officer ever questioned the material in the tank or needed paper work. Unless you're doing this very part time I highly recommend getting a round cylander type tank. Power agitation is best, but for driveways hand agitation may be adaquate. For some reason the accuseal site is down, but if you go to http://www.parkinglotplanet.com/forum/ or http://www.pavementpro.com/forum/fusionbb.php? regular posters JohnnyB and Brahney are loyal customers of Accuseal.

dannyray
01-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Check out Seal Rite for a skid 550 tank motor and sprayer 10,200. Also Selbro sell's walk behind blowers. Found a direct fire melt for 675.00 at Seal Tuff. Went last Friday to pick up he did not have the torch or gage but still waiting for them. Even if he does not send them I can but them on for about 200.00 and still be ahead of the game.
Seal Rite Asphalt

Mdirrigation
01-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Most of that stuff is a bunch of rip-offs. Home Depot or Lowes will give you a good discount if you talk to the manager and buy by the pallet. There's some real money there.
But if you want the square tank set-up buy it from STAR seal of Ohio on their web site. They make them and sell them cheaper. Other people sell them on ebay and one guy in Oklahoma sells them too but they all come from STAR SEAL in Ohio. They seal the sealer too if you are in Ohio. It's funny people will pay $2,500 for the same exact thing they make at the plant & sell direct to the public for $900. Even the pictures are the same :dizzy:

The biggest reason to stay with Home Depot or Lowes is it keeps you out of trouble just in case. If you have any kind of tank you are supposed to have paperwork that says what you are hauling and all that other federal junk then if any ever spills or some idiot rear-ends your tank at a stop light the EPA will be all over you. If it's in buckets you can just say you are doing it for a friend or whatever and maybe a bucket or 2 gets spilled, not 200 gallons. Everything is labeled on the bucket by the company that makes it so no permits needed.
And it's the same stuff. It's a gold mine and by far the easiest way to get started. You already have the leaf blower, all you need is a good manager to make you a deal on a pallet at a time and an old broom to spread it.
And you can get great money, depending on the size of the drives an easy $200-$800 a day.
My first year I just did it part time and cleared over $5,000 just on summer week-ends. I found a Home Depot that would do almost 1/2 off if you ordered the whole pallet at a time and paid for it all and picked it up so they didn't have it in inventory. Quick money for everybody. :cool2:

The price you pay at home depot or lowes is easily 5 times what bulk material cost. The bulk supplier here sells the 5 gallon buckets to the hardware stores . Put down 200 gallons with buckets and see how long it takes.
NEVER had a problem with the tank , all you have to carry is the reciept from the supplier as far as paperwork .

SLR
01-20-2006, 11:54 AM
my first post as seal coating has me intriqued..how exactly do i apply this sealer stuff..i understand use blower/broom to clean off before starting,i am foggy on the actual application of it.Do i just pour little parts for every 5-10 square feet per time?..what do you do if a nasty wind comes along and blows a bunch of crap into the freshly broomed on sealer,is it there for the life time of the sealer with the owner all huffed?..lastly a squeege seems to be easier to work/clean with then broom?..sorry just speculating if i want to do this,this summer..:waving:

joeE
01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Usea medium soft 3ft broom to start. Pour a bead of sealer around the garage
end of the drive, to form a staple effect. You are trimming the edges of the
first 10-20 ft of drive ( depending on sunshine ). I go clockw, backwards pulling my broom / puddle. Allways be pulling / pushing a puddle. Pour just enough sealer to give you a 10-12" path when spread with a broom. Trim up one side (passing a sidewalk ) , now trim across end ( past garage apron ) ,
& down 3rd side. VERY carful pouring by concreet or learn the hard way.
That took 3-4 gal to trim edges, now pour 5 gal up by garage, across drive.
Use broom like a snow plow, turn slightly to work that puddle down the drive.
Use 1/2 lap method. Hit every sq inch in 2 different directions. You will run out
of sealer after 10ft, now its time to drag out your foot prints & flatten out any "highs" youve left. Crean off your broom a lettle on some dry pavement,
carry broom up to apron on left side of drive, set down on pavement & drag
backwards until you hit dry pavement, that 3ft path is done. Continue across drive, clean broom, go drag, cl br, go drag. Now you have hit every sq inch
in 3 differant directions.There should not be any tiny voids now.
Pour a bead down each side for the next 15 ft, agine trim edges, paint field.
Keep leading edge wet, pour new sealer "on" wet leading edge.
Chalk a line at end of drive so it looks good when your done.
That was very brief, but a good place to start. Ive been brooming / spraying
for 7 yrs now and have never used a squeege. Seems harder & more time to me, but thats just me. Dont clean broom, put it in a broom box w/water until next time.

SLR
01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
NICE joeE!!thats what i call a excellent crash course in seal'n!..i'm going to print it out and pin it and study it..have you ever had a kid/dog/wind blow or mess up freshly poured stuff,or is this what makes it a dirty job having to go through it with care removing every little bit with fingers..?

joeE
01-21-2006, 10:23 AM
About once or twice a year, a dog tracks across. It all happens so fast you dont see him untill its to late. Generally I dont worry about it, unless if it is in a spot where i think it needs to be fixed. Its a jugement call. It may happen more often than I know after I leave. Customers dont want to pay extra for
croud control, until it skins over. Allways do your best work by entrys or anywhere people walk. Flaws will be noticed in those areas. Not so much out in the back 40. NEVER let people walk on wet sealer, thats where lawsuits come from.
I think a customer will understand if a dog crosses, they might get upset with the dog owner, but not you or the dog. Now any other flaws will not be accepted by customer, unless, if it happened after you left. Eather way, they dont want to live with it for 2-3 years. I do a lot of small repairs for free, even when its not my fault. I could take 15 min to explain why its not my fault, that makes em mad. Or I can spend that time fixing it free, and they become a customer for life. Take good care of your customers, if you want to stay in business.
You will know what makes this a dirty job when you come home from your first day of sealing. You will have dirt in your hair, ears, noise, ect, ect. I grew up on a farm so this stuff is nothing new to me ( I guess I like dirt ). If you are a city boy,or if you are ascared of dirt, you might want to reconsider.

WANT TO GET RICH QUICK SEALING ?
Never happen my freind. We all read posts that say it will,
but it wont. These are newbees that havent seen the whole picture yet. A real sealcoater will tell you how much hard work they did today. A LESSER
coater will just bragg about how much money they stoled today. Which do you want to be? That choice will determine how long you will be in business.
Do you want to be an asset or a liability to this industry and your town?
GOOD DAY.

PPClockworks
03-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Same here i found a company called Star Seal Coat of Ohio that have a 275 gal. poly tank motor pump and wand for $999.95 and plus shipping and taxes. Now for me i may try one for the cost right now i use the five gal, and broom. Oh the motor and pump act as an agitator by recirculating the material.

I bought one of these units 4 years ago. It paid for itself in a month. Then if has just been profit since then. It added a whole new dimension to my business. Most all my mowing customers have me sealcoat the driveway in the spring. Best investment I have ever made. I don't know why people cut it down it does a great job and I can do a normal 2X2 driveway in 30 minutes. I think it is because they feel you have to pay alot of money to get the same quality they do. And before you ask I use 2 pounds of sand per gallon and 1 gallon of tarmax. Never had a minutes trouble with it spraying fourth year on my motor, but I think I am going to have to call StarSeal this year for a new motor.

Don't let everyone talk you out of trying this it really does work!!:clapping:

robertbc
03-08-2006, 06:33 PM
I am just a newbie, I been reading post to determine which way is the best to start,Only dong driveways.SOme other sites bash this 999 unit.Glad to see positive imput on it. Does t mix well . Any info would be grateful thks

PPClockworks
03-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I am just a newbie, I been reading post to determine which way is the best to start,Only dong driveways.SOme other sites bash this 999 unit.Glad to see positive imput on it. Does t mix well . Any info would be grateful thks

The circulation works good. I have found that you don't just let it circulate along time. About 10 in the morning and if it is a very hot day you need to turn it on a couple more times. Sometimes the sand piles in the corners and you just stir it with a board and circulate somemore. The one negative I have found was once the lid gets sealer on it then you have problem unscrewing but a little vaseline once and week and that problem is handled. And get 100 ft of wand hose instead of the 50 it comes with for long driveways. It spray nicely out of 100 ft

robertbc
03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Sorry for the ?.BUT i want to make sure a do the right thing.What kind of sealer do you use.Do you get a lot overspray when dong driveways.ALso how many coats do you use

PPClockworks
03-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Sorry for the ?.BUT i want to make sure a do the right thing.What kind of sealer do you use.Do you get a lot overspray when dong driveways.ALso how many coats do you use

Robert it is ok to ask question I don't mind. I use Vance Brothers here. When I first got my sprayer and learning how I did do some overspraying but I quickly practiced alot and learned how NOT to do that. (One repainted garage door was enough for me). I usually do one coat cause most of my customer have it done yearly. But if it is a new driveway or in need of it I will do two. I always test the driveway to see if it is going to drink the first coat before I bid a new driveway. Hope this helps and answers your question.

chillman
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
MDirrigation,
I can't seem to find acu seal. any contact info?
Thank alot