PDA

View Full Version : customer laughed at me.

lawnwizards
05-19-2005, 11:41 PM
went to give an estimate on a mulch install. lady wants 6 yards removed and hauled off. new fabric (the best you can buy, her quote). 6 yards delivered and spread. i quote her 800 dollars. which by the way i thought was a real bargain. she proceeds to laugh at me and tells me thats way too high. i'm thinking that materials alone is 300 plus. i guess she wants little johnny to do it for a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of lemonade. :rolleyes:

DennisF
05-19-2005, 11:48 PM
That price is a bit steep..even with expensive weed fabric. Same type of job here in Florida would fetch $400-$450. The most we can get for mulch is around $50 per yard installed.

chefdrp
05-19-2005, 11:53 PM
DENNIS-- What about him having to load and haul away the old 6 yards aof mulch?

clay duncan
05-19-2005, 11:56 PM
That price is a bit steep..even with expensive weed fabric. Same type of job here in Florida would fetch $400-$450. The most we can get for mulch is around $50 per yard installed.

$400.-$450 is about right for the new mulch around my area. its the removal and hauling off the old mulch that would suck. i think $800 is a fair price......

DennisF
05-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Oops...I forgot about the old mulch removal. Dementia must be getting me.

I would add another $200-$250 to my price for the removal and haul away. Should take one guy 3 to 4 hours to remove the old stuff.

lawnwizards
05-20-2005, 12:15 AM
$400.-$450 is about right for the new mulch around my area. its the removal and hauling off the old mulch that would suck. i think $800 is a fair price......i thought it was more than fair. 6 yards around here would go for about 25-30 per yard. fabric around 100. pins about 20... its more labor intensive then anything though. i thought 500 labor for 3 people for 8 hours. cheap? probably. but i had an empty day...

Kelly's Landscaping
05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Crew sounds over sized for that I think it could be done with 2 guys for 6 hours.

lawnwizards
05-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Crew sounds over sized for that I think it could be done with 2 guys for 6 hours.what kind of price would you come up with? does 800 sound too cheap or too expensive?

DennisF
05-20-2005, 12:44 AM
what kind of price would you come up with? does 800 sound too cheap or too expensive?

Give her a break and drop the price to $750. Emphasize the cost of removal of the old stuff and hauling/dumping fees.

If she still doesn't bite...walk away.

Todd's lawncare
05-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Ask her what she thinks its worth ..... And then tell her to call the other LCC and get a price and call you when she sees its cheap ... Or don't bother with it at all

op4_camper
05-20-2005, 07:22 AM
I try and not to haul anything away. I offer a two price quote on those type of jobs. One without dumping and then a substantial price increase with the haul and dump.

Remsen1
05-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Your price is your price. She can take it or leave it. I think your price is right on. In your case I would tell the lady, "I deliver and install 1 yard of mulch for $66, this includes the mulch, and fabric, it also includes pickup and delivery, and installation. x 6 yards = $396. This is my set rate. If I give it to you for less, and one of my other customers finds out, then I lose a customer. In order to haul your old mulch out of here, it will take 3-4 hours on site, plus almost the same amount of time to drive back and forth to the dumpsite and unload. It requires the use of my truck and my trailer and also involves fees for dumping. The price for this is $392. (I usually don't use round numbers cause I feel it gives the impression that I just grabbed it out of the air). If you would like me to do the whole job it will cost $788. If you would like me to do one part or another it will cost $396 or $392 respectively."

Precision
05-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Your price is your price. She can take it or leave it. I think your price is right on. In your case I would tell the lady, "I deliver and install 1 yard of mulch for $66, this includes the mulch, and fabric, it also includes pickup and delivery, and installation. x 6 yards = $396. This is my set rate. If I give it to you for less, and one of my other customers finds out, then I lose a customer. In order to haul your old mulch out of here, it will take 3-4 hours on site, plus almost the same amount of time to drive back and forth to the dumpsite and unload. It requires the use of my truck and my trailer and also involves fees for dumping. The price for this is $392. (I usually don't use round numbers cause I feel it gives the impression that I just grabbed it out of the air). If you would like me to do the whole job it will cost $788. If you would like me to do one part or another it will cost $396 or $392 respectively."

Good idea.

But like someone else said, your price is your price. I think I would have been higher.

I get $60 per yard for mulch install. I get about half of my bids so I think I am doing ok with my price.

mosmgras
05-22-2005, 07:59 AM
I like the price. 6yds. hauled away plus 6yds. hauled in. Thats two trips with a dump truck or trailer plus having to load the truck/trailer on-site. Now you're talking tractor/loader or having to pay labor rates to fork 6yds. onto the dump bed. I agree with Dennis F. Offer it to her for $750, if she doesn't bite, walk away.

AdamCByrd
05-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I agree with Precision, who says that he is doing OK because he is getting half his bids. You know you're too cheap if everyone says "YES" to you. If you bid $600 and you think that's not good money, then 4-6 hours is a long time for you to beat yourself up about it. I think $750-800 is a fair price since she wants new fabric and the old stuff removed/disposed.

The Good Earth
05-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Don't offer it for $750. It makes you look like a used car salesman. On of those guys that says "let me run this by my manager and see what he says". If you drop your price you give the appearance that you were trying to stiff her to begin with. If she refers you to any other clients the fist thing she is going to tell friends is that your first price isn't set in stone and you can be talked down. Now you are in a compromised negotiating position.

Stand firm with your price. I think your price is certainly more than fair. Might be a bit low for me but I don't know what your market will bring, nor do I know what your economic situation is. Your price is your price. If she doesn't like it thank her for the opportunity to offer your services to her and politely walk away. That makes a much larger impact than offering discounts. It gives the appearance of a businessperson who is calm and confident. Now you have the upper hand. With all due respect, countering with a lower price makes you look desperate. Even if you are desperate never let anyone see that fact. Confidence breeds business, not desperation.

Precision
05-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Even if you are desperate never let anyone see that fact. Confidence breeds business, not desperation.

That about sums it up. If people can smell that you need the business you will end up working for free. If people see that you really don't care, then they (the good clients anyway) want to work with you.

If you aren't making a healthy profit, why be in business for yourself. And taking "just get by" jobs only breeds more of the same and eventually puts you out of business.

Aussie Topcat
05-25-2005, 02:54 AM
Give her a break and drop the price to $750. Emphasize the cost of removal of the old stuff and hauling/dumping fees.

If she still doesn't bite...walk away.

Yep, this is the only way to handle her. If then you dont get the job- smile thank her, & walk away..

jd boy
05-25-2005, 08:45 AM
also, it is stupid to use an organic mulch on top of a landscape fabric. after season you have compost and weeds will grow in it anyway. landscape fabric is only for stone mulch.

Precision
05-25-2005, 07:31 PM
also, it is stupid to use an organic mulch on top of a landscape fabric. after season you have compost and weeds will grow in it anyway. landscape fabric is only for stone mulch.

Very true. But I say that until I am blue in the face to some of my prospective clients. Someone at home depot, or their bridge club, or from their psychic network told them it was a good idea so that makes it true.

Usually these people are the same ones who are in shock over the price, so that makes it easy for me.

SOMM
05-25-2005, 11:46 PM
good final consensus, stick to your price for all she asked for - but break it down for her so she sees it's more cost effective to forego the fabric and the old mulch haul-away.

good take jd, how true!