PDA

View Full Version : how to balance blade

adam5557
05-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Hey guys i am new to balancing blades and was going to go to home cheapo and get a cheap balancer for my self. When taking off metal on the blade to balance it where on the blade is the best spot to remove metal.Thanks and again i am new to balancing blades and have looked through previous threads.thanks.adam

TLS
05-19-2005, 11:13 PM
When taking off metal on the blade to balance it where on the blade is the best spot to remove metal.

The heavy end.

lawnwizards
05-19-2005, 11:19 PM
:waving: Hey guys i am new to balancing blades and was going to go to home cheapo and get a cheap balancer for my self. When taking off metal on the blade to balance it where on the blade is the best spot to remove metal.Thanks and again i am new to balancing blades and have looked through previous threads.thanks.adami always balance mine with a screw driver. just set the screwdriver on something level, stick the blade on the driver and if it sits level then the blade is balanced. if it leans then grind off from the heavy end.

adam5557
05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
So i should just sharpen the blade more on the heavy end?

Steve9
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM

Exactly what you should do

lawnwizards
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
bingo. just sharpen on the heavy end til its level then you have a balanced blade.

CincyWolf
05-20-2005, 12:33 AM
I think it is more important to sharpen the blades evenly keeping the cutting angle right and then if out of balance take some steel out of the non-cutting side of the blade to balance. Once sharpened, there is no point in taking extra metal off of the business side unless you have access to free blades. This has always worked for me. The screwdriver trick will work but a $3 blade balancing cone is usually better and if you are careful you can get results almost as good as using the $200 MAG balancer.

65hoss
05-20-2005, 09:14 AM
I think it is more important to sharpen the blades evenly keeping the cutting angle right and then if out of balance take some steel out of the non-cutting side of the blade to balance. Once sharpened, there is no point in taking extra metal off of the business side unless you have access to free blades. This has always worked for me. The screwdriver trick will work but a $3 blade balancing cone is usually better and if you are careful you can get results almost as good as using the $200 MAG balancer.
I agee with everything but the highlighted area. You are incorrect on the last statement. I'm a stickler for perfection and I did it the other ways for several years. Then I got a magna balancer and all those "perfect" cone balanced blades were NOT EVEN CLOSE. You just think they are. Until you do a perfect balance on a magna and install on a machine to feel the difference you will never understand.

TLS
05-20-2005, 09:18 AM
I agree with Hoss.

The magna-matic balancer is perfect.

On a scale from 1 to 10....

Magna-Matic.......10
$3 balance cone...4
Screwdriver.........1
Nail in wall...........1
Small nail in wall....2

nitrotim
05-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I agee with everything but the highlighted area. You are incorrect on the last statement. I'm a stickler for perfection and I did it the other ways for several years. Then I got a magna balancer and all those "perfect" cone balanced blades were NOT EVEN CLOSE. You just think they are. Until you do a perfect balance on a magna and install on a machine to feel the difference you will never understand.

I agree with this one. Every new blade I bought this year has been out of ballance on the magna. The machines run alot smoother after ballancing them with the magna matice ballance . I bought mine on ebay for 150 and it is worth the money.

CincyWolf
05-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Touche'. I should have been more clear. I was really trying to say that even a cheap balancing cone is much much better than a screwdriver and I think we are all in violent agreement to that. A Mag balancer is the supreme way to go and if you can afford it the only way to go. Maybe the cone balancer I have used is better than some others (I admit it is nicer than the $3 variety) because I've not noticed such a huge difference and I have used a Mag balancer to double check. The Mag is better for sure but lots of bearings would be saved if everyone - at minimum - used a cone balancer.