PDA

View Full Version : Finding New Properties

daltonbuck
05-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I am new to the business ownership side. Have 3 years of experience and am looking to find new props to mow and contract. What is the best way to get new yards for a new business owner?

Bethelboy
05-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Word of mouth is definitely our best advertisement...but being new I would have to say for us running an ad in the newspaper for a few months did better than anything else we tried. It also helps to include in the add that you are licensed and insured (assuming that you are) because then people will know that you are more professional than "Joe Blow's Grass Cutting"

captken
05-20-2005, 12:23 AM
I am new to the business ownership side. Have 3 years of experience and am looking to find new props to mow and contract. What is the best way to get new yards for a new business owner?

You state on one of your post, you bought your mower on Airways, in Southaven.
You say that you live in Olive Branch. With all the new construction and families moving into Desoto County weekly, [one the nations fastest growing counties,] and you can't find any work??

You probably traveled to and from the mower dealer driving on Goodman Rd. Are you blind?? :angel: Open your eyes, there is constant new development going up EVERYWHERE, next to the ones that went up last year, next to the ones that went up the year before...you get the drift...The growth along Goodman from Southaven to Olive Branch is unbelievable.

saw man
05-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Newspaper is GREAT this time of year. If you have a good dealer that likes you he will refer you. Door hangers, especially around where you mow(that way you dont drive much), offer discounts for neighbors so you dont have to load and unload your trailer............

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 12:34 AM
SIGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at my thread labeled "here's your sign" I had them out for a week and they generated 5 new accounts and 1 landscape, and 2 mulch jobs. Around $200 and you have 50 signs.

Runner
05-20-2005, 01:34 AM
...and always remember...A satified customer will tell 3 people, while an UNsatisfied customer will tell 6.

daltonbuck
05-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all you guys who are leaving me some POSITIVE feedback. To CAPTKEN: No, I am not blind. I just can not walk into these devlopment sites and talk to the contractors. I was looking for a more specific answer, like who do I contact in these new developments? I actually live off of Goodman Road in Plantation and have a couple of yards in the midst there and YES i did take Goodman to get my mower. You seem to be very familiar with the area? Any leads you can drop to me to pay me back for being a smartass :realmad: JK. Keep the suggestions coming. So far I have newspaper, door hangers.... what else?

pagefault
05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Go out to a neighborhood where you want to work and knock on doors and talk to people on Saturday. If they're not home, leave a flyer.

Lawn Masters LC
05-20-2005, 10:28 PM
word of mouth - make your current customers very happy
flyers/hangers - hit your current neighborhoods and areas to fill gaps in your route
friends - kinda the same as word of mouth, however, my grandpa used to say "know one's gonna know that you need help unless you ask"

Some great accts may be right under your nose. Unfortunately people don't "think" about us LCO's. Constantly remind folks of what you do.

captken
05-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Hey, I'm only trying to be motivational. We live in a high growth area, plenty work to be had. But...its a cold cruel world out there... Are you looking for someone to hand over some leads or give you your jobs here? You usually have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
[although I've heard of people starting at the top and working their way to the bottom....]
You do what you have to do. Didn't you say that you have some experience? Use it. How did you get jobs before? Did you work for someone else? Did you [or a relative] just buy some expensive equipment and you need to find work to pay it off? :cry: If you don't take action, you may find your equipment for sale in the [lawn and garden section] of the Commercial Appeal. :help:
I see guys starting out this time of year, and falling by the wayside when it gets too hot...Thats when you can find some really good mower bargains in the paper. payup

Advertise, knock on doors, develop a client base and work from that. Go out and don't be afraid to talk to people. Yes, you may actually have to drive around and knock on doors and talk to people. I am sure that you have developed some interpersonal communication skills in your 24 years, put them to use.
You may even find yourself starting out cutting grass in a low income neighborhood, imagine that. :angel: