PDA

View Full Version : Weeds

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 12:32 AM
I have a question about weeds. I got a job that required approx 8 hrs of weeding, now before I tell her my $65 an hour price I had an idea. I went and got a BIG torch and propane tank, It was $100 this thing shoots a 1 foot flame and burns weeds till there is NO MORE. I was thinking of charging $75 it should take around 45 mins to an hour. What do ya'll think of this idea?

pagefault
05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Is it a torch specifically for killing weeds? My understanding is that those cause all of the water in the weed to boil, killing the weed in a few seconds. They don't actually burn the weed to nothing.

If that's what it is, I'd be very interested to know how it works for you and how long it takes. I think it's a great idea.

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Well you may be right. I got it at home depot, It said good for and I "burning weeds,removing paint,bending metal, and road construction" It was $50 for the torch and $50 for the tank. I was thinking another alternative would be roundup then burn em??

pagefault
05-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I think the torch might still work. If there is a nursery in your area that specializes in organic stuff, they should be able to tell you for sure.

Runner
05-20-2005, 01:30 AM
I think 65-75 an hour is a bit extreme, regardless of the method. jmo

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 01:49 AM
I think 65-75 an hour is a bit extreme, regardless of the method. jmo

Lets say I am running a 2 man crew at $60 an hour? But then what do you think of for the weeds? Maybe say $45 an hour with 1 hour minimum?

Btw get on im so we can talk, thanks, Chris

GreenUtah
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
I think you better evaluate what else is around before you go lighting fires. If the beds have mulch in them or are near wood fences or siding and you go to burn down the weeds, you'll be making a 911 call very shortly! Asphalt and cement? burn away

pagefault
05-20-2005, 12:32 PM
http://doityourself.com/gardentools/weedcontrolflamers.htm

Gravely_Man
05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
As pointed out I would not use the burn method as the chance for starting a fire is huge! Either spray (is a license required where you are) or do it the tried and true method of pulling them by hand.

Gravely_Man

pagefault
05-20-2005, 01:44 PM
I just ordered a torch. Should be here late next week. I'll try it out and post some feedback when I get it.

SunSwept
05-20-2005, 02:10 PM
As pointed out I would not use the burn method as the chance for starting a fire is huge! Either spray (is a license required where you are) or do it the tried and true method of pulling them by hand.

Gravely_Man

Seems to me that licensing for pesticides and herbicides is a federal requirement administered by the individual state agricultural departments which means licensing is required in every state.

I've been wrong many times before ... could be wrong this time too.

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Yes a licence is required here BUT only 5% of the companies have them, The companies are big ones like JBK,TGCL,Brickman,Weedman,and a couple of others as you can see they are not individual companies they are the bigger ones, on top of that they never get checked much around here. No one that I know has ever had a run in with the extension office.

tez34
05-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I use round-up on the weeds first and then come back in 3-4 days with the torch, this turns the weeds black and burns them almost all the way down to the ground. I noticed after burning them you really stink, must be a combo of propane and round-up. This way really works good. I could not get away with charging so much, maybe $35/hour for gravel driveways. Its easy work.

TURF DOCTOR
05-20-2005, 08:51 PM
65 x 8 hours 520 bucks per man per trimming i hope you get it in my area i have so much competition telling them a hourly rate you would be lucky to get 15 bucks.

lawncare3
05-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I use round-up on the weeds first and then come back in 3-4 days with the torch, this turns the weeds black and burns them almost all the way down to the ground. I noticed after burning them you really stink, must be a combo of propane and round-up. This way really works good. I could not get away with charging so much, maybe $35/hour for gravel driveways. Its easy work.

I did that today, just remember to keep a hose handy to wet it all down after your done. :)

topsites
05-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Well you may be right. I got it at home depot, It said good for and I "burning weeds,removing paint,bending metal, and road construction" It was $50 for the torch and $50 for the tank. I was thinking another alternative would be roundup then burn em??

Round-up technique (what I use):
I bought a 2.5 gallon Flowmaster deck/patio sprayer for 20 bucks and a gallon of super-concentrated Round-Up for $100. Here's how it works:
- The deck/patio sprayer is cheaper than the garden/yard sprayer and holds 2.5 gallons instead of 2. Other than that, it's the same thing.
- Instead of mixing 1.5 oz of round-up per gallon of water, I use 1.25 oz per gallon. This makes the math easy: 1 gallon super = 128 oz at 100 dollars, it makes 100 gallons of mix, thus $1 / gallon.
- I charge $10/gallon of round-up, and once you get good at it, it takes 10 minutes to get rid of 1 gallon with the sprayer. So $1 cost = 9 dollars every 10 minutes for looking stupid with the sprayer.

- Best time to apply Round-up is on a sunny day with NO rain in the forecast thou you can do it anytime. Apply ONLY when weeds are growing !
Minimum 'dry' time: 20 minutes
Recommended 'dry' time: 2 hours
Best 'dry' time: 2 days.

Actual time for results: 2-4 weeks.
Laters.

sildoc
05-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Try a weed hoe. No license needed, very little danger involved and cuts your time by a bunch compared to pulling. I bid high on all weed jobs because they are the most labor intensive and pain in the bu!! there is. Good luck.