PDA

View Full Version : Did you mow after chemlawn came?

Eho
05-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Hey guys, on wednesday I was doing my regular wednesday lawns( all on the south side of town about 20 minutes away from my house, yet they are all close to each other) and one of my customers had a Chemlawn sign in the yard that said" stay off grass til dry" The customers were not home and the grass appeared dry. I am only in this part of town on a certain day of the week and I am scheduled to do this lawn on a certain day. Unless I hear from them, I plan on mowing. How many times have yall seen those signs still in the yard a few days after chemlawn has come and the customers just dont take them out of the yard. Simple point was I wasnt told not to mow, so I mowed like normal. Today that guy called saying that chemlawn had been there and I mowed anyway? He said he understands my choice and wasnt mad at me. Does this happen to you? What would yall do? Especially since these are on the other side of town that I have a specific day for, I had to do it. If you re scheduled to mow, call me and make different arrangments
EHO

PLM-1
05-20-2005, 02:14 AM
I have a trailer full of those flags. My clients NEVER pick them up. I would just mow it. Not your problem!!!

The Captain
05-20-2005, 02:28 AM
If I walk on the lawn and my shoes stay dry, I assume the appliction (if there was a recent one) is indeed dry. Put the signs in the trash bucket and mow away.

Jim

Eddie B
05-20-2005, 02:36 AM
I mow over the signs and ignore them. I hate chemlawn.

kipcom
05-20-2005, 06:19 AM
Chemical Lawn...... :dizzy: What a bunch of "idiots". :cool2:

rodfather
05-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Simple. I DON'T mow lawns that Chem Lawn services. Period

Richard Martin
05-20-2005, 07:20 AM
I usually don't worry about when they spread their granular fertilizer. Around here every application company I've ever had the displeasure of cutting behind hits the lawns with Pre-em in February and then fertilizes with granular monthly whether it needs it or not. TG/CL has some of the best growing weeds around. I have a customer who I switched up to a twice a week cutting 2 weeks ago. Mow, blow and go on Monday at a reduced rate and full service on Friday.

dfor
05-20-2005, 07:21 AM
I almost always mow it. If I see them pulling away, then there is a surcharge for coming back.

Rhett
05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
As a reverse role I have had them pull up and start spaying as I was mowing.

affordableyardcare
05-20-2005, 08:25 AM
I was at one of my jobs when chemlawn showed up and they told me to go ahead and cut right after they applied there colored water what a joke!!!!

MarcSmith
05-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Gotta be careful. some chem apps are better for the grass if done two three days before or after a cut.......Less stress on the lawn....

JOEWOOD
05-20-2005, 08:42 AM
http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/ISI/ISI107/DIFLI046.JPG

Simple answer according to many clients, Chemlawn waters down there application to non-existence of chemicals. "Mow Thru All"

Chemlawn is The Devil!

Joe :realmad:

Roger
05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
When I started mowing several years ago, the signs sent me on my way, without mowing. But, I soon learned the signs are usually never picked up by the homeowner, and I was driving away from properties that were treated several days before. I've talked with many of them, "... put a time stamp on the sign, or I will ignore." The practice has not changed. Only one service does time stamp their sign, all others do not. Therefore, when I drive up and see a sign, find it has no time stamp, it become "yard debris." Nobody, homeowner or service provider, has ever chided me about mowing after an app.

Green Pastures
05-20-2005, 10:26 AM

+1

payup

LwnmwrMan22
05-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Yet another reason to only do full service accounts.

It's taken 17 years to get to this point, but work at it, it's another thing to give you that much less hassle, plus you're making more money on a lawn you're already at, not driving another 10 minutes to a different lawn.

TLS
05-20-2005, 10:37 AM
My friend that sprays/ferts for me puts up the signs with the DATE and TIME listed on the sign.

Sure wish Chemlawn did that. At least you know if they were there yesterday or today.

If I see their truck in the neighborhood, and then pull up to the house.....sign there, skip till tomorrow, no sign .....mow!

Chemlawn around my area do a decent job. They're just there 6-8 times a year.

jt5019
05-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Dont the signs have the dates on them?When both ChemLawn or Scotts applies something around here the sign has the date right on it.The date always seems to be the day im there to mow :rolleyes:

DFW Area Landscaper
05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Mow it everytime. Hopefully, the customer will call complaining. At that time, I can offer something TG/CL can't offer: Full service.

"I understand. Unfortunately, we aren't able to tell how long it's been since they did the application. It could have been an hour ago or it could have been three days ago and the sign is still there. Our customers who have us do the applications never have this problem." (Which is bending the truth a little)

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

TLS
05-20-2005, 10:55 AM
No dates or times in my area. Probably gives them a "loophole" if there ever is a liability/time issue.

CutNLawns
05-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I pull all their little signs they leave but I don't toss them. Toss the sign but keep the stake for your own lawn signs in the future. Doesn't add up to much but just the thought of TGCL paying for part of my advertising is fun!

Lodogg2221
05-20-2005, 03:55 PM
You know, I was going to see if I could get a referral program going with the local Scott's guy (I despise CHem-Lawn), but after reading this post, and a few others, Im thinking of trying to get licensed for chem here. Like someone said, why give money away. Its just more I can make at the same property.
Now to find info on licensing in Indiana.......

DennisF
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
I pull the sign and mow. Never had anyone make any comments about mowing right after the lawn has been sprayed.

TLS
05-20-2005, 04:12 PM
If your cutting off a good portion of the leaf of the weed then the application isn't going to be as effective.

It takes longer for the AI to traslocate and work than it does to simply dry.

Jpocket
05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
I will mow right after the chemlawn truck pulss away, esp if noone is home.

gqnine44
05-21-2005, 12:57 AM
I have been told by both Chemlawn and Scotts that it is okay to cut right after they leave as long as you dont bag the grass. I cut away. Anyone think or know different?

Jason Rose
05-21-2005, 01:49 AM
Iv'e had lawns that were 10" tall and chem lawn comes and applies anyway. One customer had chemlawn always coming the same day I mowed. I think it was a competition to see who would get there first in the morning. It was his first stop and it was mine as well. He was there about once a month. I could be just starting and he would drag the hose out and start spraying. WTF??? I watched him fertilize with a push spreader this 35,000 sq. ft. property with only 1 bag of fertilizer!!! Made one pass down the side of the drive, a strip 30' wide and 200' long. WOW, some throw on that lesco spreader I thought to myself... For the crap work they do here and no more product than they actually use on a property I could care less if I am there the same day they are, not going to make much difference. The grass wasn't going to green up and the weeds weren't gonig to die anyway.

This property is large. Deep and narrow. Of course the hose dosn't reach all the back yard. Instead of driving up the drive to reach all of it, he just dosn't ever treat half the back yard! All of it is lawn and irrigated and mowed. A couple years ago the sprinklers were not working for the summer (city water $$$$) and the lawn was TOTALLY brown. I watch chemlawn show up and throw fertilizer and leave their little sign anyway. This year, I don't know what happened to them, I think the lawn got the first treatment, but now it's as yellow as a sunflower... The homeowner hasn't told me anything about wanting me to do it, I have asked in the past but everytime they tell me that they are prepaid with chemlawn for the year and they forgot about me. Gee, thanks. For now the neghibor's lawns looks 100% better, since I do the full program there, dark green and weed free!

sildoc
05-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Me too. Learned my lesson 3 years ago when I had to mow 10" of growth every 4 days. Never again. Lost so much money on that yard it wasn't even funny.

Precision
05-21-2005, 04:00 PM

Thats great.

And I wouldn't worry, they are only spraying water half the time anyway.

lampeslawnservice
05-21-2005, 04:39 PM
They don't stop spraying after we have just mowed do they? Of course we know what happens to the tips of grass when you spray after we mow, but seems to me they can't figure that out.

Gene $immons
05-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Customer,

I don't arrange my scedule around another company that offers the same weed control service that we do.

Mico Landscaping design
05-21-2005, 08:51 PM
has happened only a couple times.... Just mow it... i dont think it can hurt it all.. most it can do is spread it all out more just in case they missed some of the yard.. so my final answer it MOW AWAY! :cool2:

Cut 2 Please
05-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Mow the yard.
If you are mulching then there is no adverse effect of cutting. Everything stays on the yard.
If you are bagging though you are hauling some of the chemical away. It does not matter whether it has just been treated or a few days have passed. Unless the treatment has been watered in the amount of chemical that dries on the blades of grass is hauled off if you bag.

SoloMow
05-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Chem-Lawn had just dropped pellets when I arrived. I asked the guy if there was a problem mowing immediately. His response was "Yes, if you side discharge or bag. No, if you MULCH. I mulched, as usual. :cool: