PDA

View Full Version : Scag Advantage Deck with Hi-Lift blade as the middle blade?

qwikv6
05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
I know that there has been talk about using a hi lift on the discharge opening side. But I found that it seemed like my middle chamber on my 2004 20hp 48" Tiger Cub always seemed to have more grass stuck in it. I have taken the "turbo baffle" off. It was useless! I have used the following blades set ups. 3 Scag stock blades. 3 hi lifts. (The 3 hi lifts suck up too much power.) Stock scag blades on the left and middle chambers and a hi lift on the discharge side.

The outside chambers did not seem to hold as much build up as the middle with the above set ups. I had been running the hi lift on the discharge side but thought that I would try and put the hi lift in the middle chamber with the stock Scag blades on the outside chambers to see what happened. What I found was that the middle chamber holds no more build up than the outer chambers. I also found that the discharge velocity is higher than with the above setups. It seems to defy logic but it works.

I scrape my deck 1-2 times day to keep airflow at the max. Its all about the airflow and sharp blades.

Has someone else with a Scag Advantage deck already tried this?
Would they report on their findings as well?

green acres lawns
05-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I have 2 scags with advantage decks. One 52" and one 72". The 52" with the clamshell bagger and stock blades cuts as clean as my walker, and stripes like my 60" exmark. Great set-up. Same deck with mulch kit does fair but requires double cutting at times for a clean cut. 72" deck cuts good in thick grass but sometimes leaves stringers in thin stuff.(cutting at 10 mph). Also it doesn't discharge clippings as well as the exmark. I bought some excaliber (exmark) blades to try on it. I think the longer cutting edge will take care of the stringers when cutting at full speed. I have leveled the deck to 1/8" pitch which helped make better stripes, and I'm going to lower the the front baffle to get more suction and hopefully get more discharge velocity. All my decks get some buildup unless the grass is real dry. The mulching setup is the worst for buildup.

PTOhioMower
05-20-2005, 11:58 PM
I know that there has been talk about using a hi lift on the discharge opening side. But I found that it seemed like my middle chamber on my 2004 20hp 48" Tiger Cub always seemed to have more grass stuck in it. I have taken the "turbo baffle" off. It was useless! I have used the following blades set ups. 3 Scag stock blades. 3 hi lifts. (The 3 hi lifts suck up too much power.) Stock scag blades on the left and middle chambers and a hi lift on the discharge side.

The outside chambers did not seem to hold as much build up as the middle with the above set ups. I had been running the hi lift on the discharge side but thought that I would try and put the hi lift in the middle chamber with the stock Scag blades on the outside chambers to see what happened. What I found was that the middle chamber holds no more build up than the outer chambers. I also found that the discharge velocity is higher than with the above setups. It seems to defy logic but it works.

I scrape my deck 1-2 times day to keep airflow at the max. Its all about the airflow and sharp blades.

Has someone else with a Scag Advantage deck already tried this?
Would they report on their findings as well?

How bad was the power loss when using the 3 high lifts? Were you cuttin thick spring growth, climbing steep hills? Also where do you have your adjustable baffle set?

I was gonna try high lifts but havent heard any feedback on them. I have a 19hp 48" and took off the turbo baffle (too much build up behind it), and put the adjustable baffle on the lowest setting. Cuts clean and leaves pretty nice stripes cuttin at 3". I really would like to use the high lifts but dont want to just throw away my money on somthing that my mower cant handle.

BTW, spraying the deck with WD-40 works very well, much less to scrape, even in the wet stuff!

qwikv6
05-23-2005, 04:26 PM
The power loss was very noticable. When going through heavier growth you really had to slow down.
The stock blades have been VERY good with the high lift in the middle.

I don't use WD40 with this blade configuration.

BTW, my adjustable front baffle is set in the middle position.