PDA

View Full Version : Motor just shuts off after going an hour

wrestlingcoach
05-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I have a briggs and stratton 3.5 hp hortizontal shaft motor connected to a pump on a pull behind sprayer.

after using it for about hour straight , the motor just shuts down

has gas, new spark plug, age is about 7-9 years old

then about 30 minutes later starts back up runs for 20-40 minutes then shuts down again

I'll drive to somewhere else then it starts back up

What is wrong w/ the motor.

Pecker
05-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Sounds like it could be overheating??? Is the engine kept clean and the cooling fins clean?

wrestlingcoach
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
looks pretty clean

so what do you do for overheated motors?

GreenUtah
05-20-2005, 12:14 PM
could be vapor locking. Does that engine have a gas cap that breathes or a tube with a filter on it? If so, they could be not functioning properly and allowing enough air into the tank for continued flow. When you stop for awhile, it slowly allows enough air to leak into the tank, making it run again for a little while then die off from lack off fuel again. I've seen this on backpack blowers and three wheel edgers, even trimmers and stick edgers. Not sure on briggs engines though, but I'd make sure I eliminate that.

DEEJ
05-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Excellent point on the gas tank venting. The other classic that does this is ignition. When the engine is dead, is there GOOD spark? Often ignition components will work fine when the engine is cold, but fail when hot. Let it cool down and things are fine again for a while. The cycle just keeps repeating.

deej

wrestlingcoach
05-20-2005, 12:58 PM
on the "Good Spark" thing

put new spark plug wire?

when it shut off , I try restart it but it just doesn't seem to spark well and just doesn't want to kick over

I'll make sure the gas tank will vent

Gravely_Man
05-20-2005, 01:01 PM
DEEJ nailed it on the head of what I would check. To tell if it is a venting issue run the motor untill it starts to die and open the gas cap. If it stalls out before you can open the gas cap open it and then try and restart the engine. If that doesn't help run the motor until it dies; then pull the plug and with the spark plug wire still attached to the plug try to start the motor. You should see a nice blue spark. Yellow indicates a very weak spark.

Gravely_Man

Excellent point on the gas tank venting. The other classic that does this is ignition. When the engine is dead, is there GOOD spark? Often ignition components will work fine when the engine is cold, but fail when hot. Let it cool down and things are fine again for a while. The cycle just keeps repeating.

deej