PDA

View Full Version : DFW Area Landscaper

PTP
05-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Now, we all know that DFW has more problems than most anyone on this forum. I sometimes wonder how he stays in business.

As I was pondering this the other day, I realized just how helpful he has been. His complaining over lowballers (Justmowit) last year gave us one of the most helpful threads we have seen. I guess that DFW's problems have helped my business to run better.

Thank you DFW.

trying 2b organic
05-20-2005, 07:31 PM
We learn as much from peoples problems as thier success'. Keep posting about the problems that come up and how you solve them. And its you honesty (about how much money can be made running crews etc) that is also helpful. :waving:

kc2006
05-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I too have learned from him, at first I sit and think thats a stupid way to do that, but then I try it in the field and it works. Thanks DFW, keep em comin :D

mcclureandson
05-20-2005, 09:44 PM
The more I learn about his business...the better I feel about mine. I wish him luck.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-20-2005, 09:53 PM
PTP,

I've been following your threads in the elements of business forum and it seems you and I are on very similar paths this spring. I have no idea how you are able to make things work on a $10K initial bankroll, but if it's working out, that is great. I started this year with $80K, although the checking account has never fallen below $17K this year. There was a lot of CapEx this spring.

Anyway, I've got 205 customers right now. I do not count one timers. These are all customers who are on the schedule for either mowing or chemical apps or both. We've distributed just under 51,000 door hangers so far this year. The growth has slowed dramatically but that is because spring fever is over and we are only distributing about 150 door hangers on Mondays and Tuesdays. I've got one of the new crews (still one man crew) almost filled to capacity with mowing M-F. The other new crew (also one man) is at capacity T-F. The three man crew is at capacity Th-F for mowing and so far they've only had two Saturdays off this spring. They do chemical apps and clean-ups/shrubs M-W and on Saturdays.

The crew leaders all making good money. My shrub crew leader made $1,200 this week after quality bonuses and commissions. I know you have already experienced churn with your crew leader and I know that must be torture having to train a new guy with no experience. So far, I've been lucky, because no one has quit on me and no one has screwed up so bad that I've had to let anyone go.

Things are going VERY well for me right now. We grossed $26K last month and we've fross $19K so far this month, with 11 days still to go in the month.

Long story short, I will be very disappointed if I don't clear $100K in 2006 from this business because I know there is no excuse if I don't. Profits will be a lot lower this year because of all the start up costs this spring. I intend to add one more crew next spring. I think four crews is all I want. It really isn't a problem in May, but it was torture in March & April with the phone ringing non-stop.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Toy2
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
DFW, I also enjoy your posts and hope to one day make what you make.....I know we all started somewhere with only a handful of customers....it takes off from there, I wish you the very best.... :)

Turf Technologies
05-20-2005, 10:15 PM
With over 200 Customers Id sure hope you get over 100k, we only had 80 last yr and came 20k shy.

txlawnking
05-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I am pleased more than anybody to hear that you're making out well DFW, I hope you continue to do so..

I thought I noticed a more positive attitude from you lately, keep it going..