PDA

View Full Version : hot

Toy2
05-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Okay Texas folks, be ready for the heat, mowed 6 today......it was boiling outside...last job was across the street...got home...took the shoes off to drop my body temp....thought I was going to barf.......stuck to H20 and snacks all day...helped, need a big hat......keep your coolers filled and be safe...same goes for the rest of you LCO in the heat!! :)

pagefault
05-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Come down south another hundred-fifty miles or so. I had two trimmers and a blower overheat on me. I'm guessing that's what it was. They just didn't want to run anymore and boy were they hot.

Drink lots of water and Gatorade. Try using a camelback or similar, so you don't have to stop working to drink.

grassmanvt
05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah, I hear ya guys, it almost hit 60 here today. :)

pagefault
05-20-2005, 10:37 PM

We'll see who's laughing in February.

Toy2
05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
On my third job it was 90 outside, old dude on a ZTR with coveralls and hat cutting the house across the street from me, I never saw him stop for a drink??? He made me look like a wuss!!!!! :)

grassmanvt
05-20-2005, 10:56 PM
I guess Texas isn't for me. Oh well, I'd rather plow than mow anyway.

out4now
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Only 104 today.

pagefault
05-20-2005, 11:00 PM
I heard. They mentioned that with every weather report.

Of course, it's a dry heat. :rolleyes:

I don't think it got above 96 here.

out4now
05-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Dry heat is still heat! I get a kick out of the dry heat thing. One of my closest friends moved to Georgia a couple of years ago and he was workinig outside with the trenching crew and they were all complianing how hot it was and he said try working in AZ sometime. Well one of them ended up transfered to here and found out how good he had it in GA.

South Florida Lawns
05-20-2005, 11:59 PM
It sucks just breaking out a sweat opening the ramp on my trailer. Personally humidity just sucks.

HighGrass
05-21-2005, 12:31 AM
I don't know how you guys in texas do it. I was in San Antonio one year and walked on the river walk during some festival. The AC coming out of the cafes just made it worse!

sheshovel
05-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Hey AMartinez..you know better..,you had the beggining of heat stroke today.Get that hat and shade your neck.Whattsamattayou???That's nothing to mess with it will kill you quick!!

DALMlawn&landscaping
05-21-2005, 12:52 AM
i'm in san antonio, it gets hot here all the time, you guys who live here aren't used to it? i love to sweat, my jeans today from just throwing down two pallets of st. agustine were soaked(at 3pm), but damn, this 90 degree stuff isn't nothing, i'm waiting for the 100's!!!

by the way, all i work in is wrangler jeans, justin boots, and t-shirts, so no i'm not walking around in shoes and shorts all day.

bring it texas weather!

quiet
05-21-2005, 02:08 AM
Okay Texas folks, be ready for the heat, mowed 6 today......it was boiling outside...last job was across the street...got home...took the shoes off to drop my body temp....thought I was going to barf.......stuck to H20 and snacks all day...helped, need a big hat......keep your coolers filled and be safe...same goes for the rest of you LCO in the heat!! :)

Be careful with yourself, buddy. It really wasn't that bad today, either; only low 90's. Gonna be a lot hotter real soon. Long range forecasts are for hotter than normal. Normal is 97 in the summer. Typical summer has 30+ days over 100.

Bray
05-21-2005, 02:33 AM
It was only 92 here today with a humidity of 98% and no wind (felt like 120). The only time I was any more miserable was working in Houston the temp was higher with about the same humidity.
I felt just like you today but had to shower when I got home and unload the trailer after I cooled down. It was hot.
I also felt like a candya$$. :cry:

sunturf
05-21-2005, 02:43 AM
122 with 93% humididty here :cool:

Eho
05-21-2005, 02:47 AM
The high here today was 95 and I tried something new today. My dad was telling me about when he used to bail hay and work in the oil fields that he would wear a long sleeve shirt to keep the sun off him and the sweat would act like an AC. Once I got a sweat going, it felt pretty good. Dont really know if it made a difference b/c it still felt pretty hot. Anyways, get used to the heat and drink plenty of water.
EHO

cndhaines
05-21-2005, 03:01 AM
im from houston and ill agree it does get hot there but right now im in baghdad iraq it was alil over 110 yesterday and cooled down to the 90s over night so i would rather have houston heat then this oven.and imagine at 110 deg and there is a lovely sand storm o yea those are so much fun, the kinda fun that when u get to the shower at night u have to wash out the mud from your body the sand gets everywhere.

chris

Charles
05-21-2005, 04:22 AM
We have had one day of 90 so far. The rest have been in the 80s. This spring has been unsually cool. I have had much use for my ice jug yet

pagefault
05-21-2005, 09:30 AM
i'm in san antonio, it gets hot here all the time, you guys who live here aren't used to it?

I'm fine with the heat. It appears that my equipment is not.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-21-2005, 09:47 AM
A Martinez,

My first year, I was like you. Hitting the water jug over and over and over. I would get handfulls of ice water from the jug and wet my hair before we started each lawn. It helped.

But starting in year two, the heat was never a problem. Granted, the summer of '03 was very mild, but the heat never bothered me.

Another secret to dealing with the summer heat: Eat sunflower seeds. They have a lot of salt and they will help you keep cool. When you sweat, you lose a lot of salt. Sometimes in the summer of '03 after a long day where I had repeatedly hit the water jug, in the evenings, I loathed the idea of drinking a glass of water and I would also get muscle cramps in my hands, feet and calves. Once I started eating seeds all day, I never had that problem again. Towards the end of '04 I finally found myself drinking very little water, comparatively speaking.

A few things I've noticed about my workers: They don't drink much water. They prefer long sleave shirts. They won't touch tobaco. They never run the A/C in the trucks. They will not wear shorts under any circumstances.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

lawnprosteveo
05-21-2005, 12:12 PM
We had a heat index of 100 friday. Thats too early in the year for that crap! I wish it was like last year when we didnt have any 100 degree days! Maybe its time for me to move far north!

lawnprosteveo
05-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Thats it, I'm moving to the Northeast as soon as I can!

tjgray
05-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Thats it, I'm moving to the Northeast as soon as I can!

Careful on making that decision....*have you read the thread about the cost of living up North:)*

On those 100 degree temp. days I do not dare even talk to Donald until he has had time to sit in front of the airconditioner vent for at least an hour after he gets home :D

Its ok though as we were working full steam in Feb. while most up North were still stuck in snow :waving:

turfmann
05-21-2005, 01:59 PM
im from houston and ill agree it does get hot there but right now im in baghdad iraq it was alil over 110 yesterday and cooled down to the 90s over night so i would rather have houston heat then this oven.and imagine at 110 deg and there is a lovely sand storm o yea those are so much fun, the kinda fun that when u get to the shower at night u have to wash out the mud from your body the sand gets everywhere.

chris

This put everything into prospective, doesn't it.

Ever felt the heat in Houston? Like sticking your head in the oven and getting hit with the rush of steam that comes out when you open the door. And if a guy from Houston thinks that Baghdad is bad, well....

BTW, no one shot at me yesterday when I was at work.

Thanks for your service, Chris, come home safe.

Toy2
05-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Its the humidity that sucks, you step outside and you start dripping from just the walk to open the gate....i am looking at getting a Camel back for H20....I might consider wearing shorts vs jeans....plus I got long sleeve t-shirts I need to break in.....I know the worse is yet to come, so I'm hoping some home owners crap out and call me LOL.......I now what a dry heat feels like, being from NM.....this Texas heat is BS, I know San Antonio and parts further south are worse.....You all stay cool and safe.....if I die mowing, I'm sure my wife and her new "Paco" will let you all know.... :D

Itsgottobegreen
05-22-2005, 01:40 AM
I guess Texas isn't for me. Oh well, I'd rather plow than mow anyway.
You and me both. I rather plow year round. :)

topsites
05-22-2005, 02:11 AM

Really? Started out in the 50's and a sweater, then off into the 70's and a t-shirt. Can't wait to go topless.

mowerman111
05-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Well here in NM it hit 101 the last three days it is way to early for that!!

topsites
05-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Dry heat is still heat! I get a kick out of the dry heat thing. One of my closest friends moved to Georgia a couple of years ago and he was workinig outside with the trenching crew and they were all complianing how hot it was and he said try working in AZ sometime. Well one of them ended up transfered to here and found out how good he had it in GA.

Yeah well I used to work in Utah and I can tell you that 100 degrees in Utah feels like 80-85 here in Virginia.
Dry heat may still be heat, but your sweat dries right off you which is how your body cools... Not so in humid climates.

Equipguy
05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
It was 91 here on friday. Guess we have to add the second 5gal water jug to the crew trucks this coming week. Now just waiting for the afternoon rains to start.

Toy2
05-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Heading out tomorrow to buy a Camelback...I think that should solve my problem....

grassmanvt
05-22-2005, 09:51 PM
ok guys, remember my post of how it almost hit 60 well, today's high was 45. It also rained all day. Thats two sundays in a row mowing all day in the rain. The seven day outlook shows showers/rain everyday.

mowerman111
05-23-2005, 01:19 AM
I posted earlier that it had been around 101 the last few days here in NM. Well they just posted on the news that we set a record high at 107 degrees today and will be the same for tomorrow. I hope this is not what we have to look forward to all summer.