PDA

View Full Version : I need help tell me what you think ?

SuperFast
05-20-2005, 10:30 PM
This is my homemade striping kit what do i need to do to make it better i put the
weed eatter string on it to help me get it on my trailor if i don't pull it up it gets stuck haha or any advice on the yard ?

SuperFast
05-20-2005, 10:36 PM
here is a side view

SuperFast
05-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Anyone have any useful advice ?

Green Pastures
05-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Looks like you're not cutting high enough to stripe, or not enough pressure on the grass.

Looks like your blades are dull, tan cast on the top of the blades of grass.

Could be just the pictures, hard to say without seeing the lawn in person.

SuperFast
05-21-2005, 09:54 AM
It is a horse mat i bought it at TSC and the bar a person at the dealer made it for me

MOW ED
05-21-2005, 09:56 AM
It doesn't look too bad. I know that my Toro has the striping kit mounted to the back of the deck. You could probably cut that rubber and mount it on the deck to see if you get a different look. Just a thought.

SuperFast
05-21-2005, 10:00 AM
i tryed that and the roller wheels on the back catch. and the wheel don't touch the gate getting on the trailor and i had to cut it off after i mowed one yard and getting stuck on my gate it was funny people watching me as they went by

sildoc
05-21-2005, 11:06 AM
Better grass. What type are you cutting? It lookes as if the grass is just comming out of dormancy or needs some fert and water. Brown does not stripe good. Green does because the grass shines.

SuperFast
05-21-2005, 07:20 PM
K31 grass here is a picture from todays work it looks a lot better with the full shot of the yard i had to crop the Or. picture

heavenlydeere
05-22-2005, 10:12 AM
looks ok , youve had as much success as i have with my homade striper, flaps and chains just dont seem to work good, rollers are the best. dont you love the heck out of that huskvarna trimmer line? great stuff!!!

C.T. Lawn Care
05-22-2005, 10:37 AM
have you tried looking at it with the sun at your back? Most of the time when the sun is at your face when you are looking at the strip you cant really see it. Looking at the stripe with the sun to your back, they normaly look like gold. lol

Tony1045
05-22-2005, 12:03 PM
This may help with both problems. Last year I used a rubber mat very similar to yours. It worked OK, but really didn't hold up the the rigors of every day use. This year I fabricated one from angle iron and chain. I used "S" hooks to attach the chain to the angle iron, then bent them closed. The only problem I ran into with that is the "S" hooks were opening up. So a small tack weld on the "S" hooks with the mig welder and it working fine. The chain does not get hung-up on the trailer and their weight of the chains leaves a good stripe. Hope this helps. I also posted a few pics. Tony

Runner
05-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I have the striping roller by York. About 300 bucks, if I remember correctly. While it works well, if I was going to do it again, I would definitel go with the chains. I always thought mine would be hung a little higher, and perhaps drag a little longer than the one in the pics, though. The chains are the way to go, though.

Smithers
06-07-2005, 12:49 AM
This may help with both problems. Last year I used a rubber mat very similar to yours. It worked OK, but really didn't hold up the the rigors of every day use. This year I fabricated one from angle iron and chain. I used "S" hooks to attach the chain to the angle iron, then bent them closed. The only problem I ran into with that is the "S" hooks were opening up. So a small tack weld on the "S" hooks with the mig welder and it working fine. The chain does not get hung-up on the trailer and their weight of the chains leaves a good stripe. Hope this helps. I also posted a few pics. Tony
tony, can you post a few pictures with the final result?

i am going to start making mine tomorrow.

did you buy the angle iron with pre-drilled holes or you drilled them yourself? if so, looks really good...

T.Wells
06-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Tony1045:

I like the looks of your homemade striper. What size(?) chains did you use? They look fairly large. I am thinking of doing something very similar on my machine.

Also, does anyone have any problems with the chains catching on things? How about pop-up sprinklers? I am only a homeowner so I only have to worry about my yard and I think that I may have an irrigation system installed.

Thanks,
T.Wells

Smithers
06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Tony1045:

I like the looks of your homemade striper. What size(?) chains did you use? They look fairly large. I am thinking of doing something very similar on my machine.

Also, does anyone have any problems with the chains catching on things? How about pop-up sprinklers? I am only a homeowner so I only have to worry about my yard and I think that I may have an irrigation system installed.

Thanks,
T.Wells
t.wells,

you will not have a problem going over a sprinkler heads or anything that does not have sharp plastic/metal edges. The chains will just glide over the obstacles.

if you were using a metal trailer, the chain links would fall thru the holes and catch when you enter/leave the trailer of where the gate hinges are located. but since you are a homeowner, no problem there.

from the pics, he had 5 chain links on each "strand" of chain.....35 strands total...but his Exmark is 60".

i will be making mine tonight.

T.Wells
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
t.wells,

you will not have a problem going over a sprinkler heads or anything that does not have sharp plastic/metal edges. The chains will just glide over the obstacles.

if you were using a metal trailer, the chain links would fall thru the holes and catch when you enter/leave the trailer of where the gate hinges are located. but since you are a homeowner, no problem there.

from the pics, he had 5 chain links on each "strand" of chain.....35 strands total...but his Exmark is 60".

i will be making mine tonight.

Great. Thanks! I look forward to making one myself. Good luck with your kit.

Kind regards,
T.Wells

Smithers
06-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Great. Thanks! I look forward to making one myself. Good luck with your kit.

Kind regards,
T.Wells
well, let me give you a quick update.....

went to HD, spend $30 on an angle iron, 14 pieces (11 inch long each) of 3/8 zinc coated chain, bolts, hooks and assembled 6 links only. I will put a pic tonight or tomorrow, but just wanted to try it before spending more money.

assembled it, fired up the mower, put the height at 4" and tried it (just did) on my yard.....guess what...

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.....granted, i did not have the whole space between the tires filled with chain. i had only 6 inches, right in the middle of the tires.

but i wanted to see if that ITSELF would make any difference. NOTHING. Nothing at all.

3 links are actually dragging on the ground.

here are the pics....

Smithers
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
here is the upclose version

Smithers
06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
and here is my lawn.....look at the crappy stripes. actually, those are not stripes, just tire marks. and keep in mind....i JUST cut the grass 10 min ago tryingto see if the chain will make any difference.

as i cut the grass on Monday, the same cut was achieved. :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

T.Wells
06-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the updates. Please keep us informed on how you fair.

Smithers
06-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the updates. Please keep us informed on how you fair.
i dont think the chain works. at least for me, anyway. it's pretty heavy, but for some reason it does not bend the grass, although it's 4" tall.

i give up trying to make stripes!