PDA

View Full Version : Ariens rm830e trouble will not start

Ariensfan
05-20-2005, 11:36 PM
I am having trouble starting a 20-30 tear old Ariens rm830e rear engine rider. The electric start is not working, nor the pull start. It has plenty of oil and gas. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 8hp vertical shaft engine. Any help or suggestions on how to start this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hole in one lco
05-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Check and see if you have spark then post again too let us know

Restrorob
05-21-2005, 12:09 AM
I am having trouble starting a 20-30 tear old Ariens rm830e rear engine rider. The electric start is not working, nor the pull start. It has plenty of oil and gas. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 8hp vertical shaft engine. Any help or suggestions on how to start this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Explain a little better,The way I read the the starter isn't turning the engine over and the pull rope isn't either ????

Ariensfan
05-21-2005, 03:03 PM
That is correct. It does not want to turn over with the key start, or the rope start. What I thought was that something was clogged in the fuel intake?

Restrorob
05-21-2005, 05:53 PM
That is correct. It does not want to turn over with the key start, or the rope start. What I thought was that something was clogged in the fuel intake?

Ok it sounds like a liquid lock problem,Take the plug wire loose and tape it up well or wrap a rag around it so it doesn't ark to any part of the unit. Remove the plug and try turning it over,stay away from the plug hole if this is the problem it will shoot fuel out.The fix remove the carb. clean and install a rebuild kit,check the float for fuel inside by shaking replace if it does.Also clean your fuel tank and blow out fuel hoses and replace the fuel filter.
check the oil for fuel smell and change if so.
This should get you mowing again if not just post back and we will go a little deeper.

Ariensfan
05-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the help. I am actually trying to help my neighbor with this one! The engine will not turn over still, and there may be parts missing on it. The engine looks to be the original engine, so it is at least 20 years old. My neighbor has just about givn up with this mower, and is getting a newer one. He may give me the mower for free when he gets a new mower. Is it worth taking the unit to a local repair shop, or to slap a new engine it it?