PDA

View Full Version : Spilling gasoline/crummy gas tanks

Tom-N-Texas
05-20-2005, 11:52 PM
I've been in this business since 1988 and I've always tried to be careful when handling/pouring gasoline. But is it just me, or is most equipment lacking basic common sense in their designs? ie....why are gas tank openings on blowers and trimmers so small? And why do gas containers all have those long, clumsy plastic nozzels? And why do they design gas tanks that tip over so easily?

If I were to design a piece of equipment it would have a gas tank opening big enough to put your hand in. Why not? Those little holes are just asking for spills!!!

And does everyone put the lid on their gas tanks in between refills? I mean really!!?? Why don't they design a tank that seals its contents inside as opposed to allowing for constant evaporation?

South Florida Lawns
05-21-2005, 12:04 AM
I mean if your in a rush for get it, i just get gas everywhere, its hard to avoid.

ed2hess
05-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I agree we spill a lot of gas every day on our equipment. I would like to see any new ideas on cans that are being used.

HighGrass
05-21-2005, 12:26 AM
I can relate to that. Did it today. 2.5 gal can almost empty....need to fill trimmer slowly....then it burps gas everywhere. AAARRGGGHHH! The necks on most gas cans are not at the right angle and who ever thought of those little tank openings on trimmers and blowers should have their you know whats boiled.

ALarsh
05-21-2005, 12:35 AM
I hear you about the two stroke nozzles. A little tip that I do. I have a 5 gallon container that I fill up at exactly 5 gallons at the gas pump. I take my stihl two stroke mix that mixes 50:1 ratio per 5 gallons so I just dump the whole thing in. I have another 2 gallon blitz container that has a unique nozzle (I transfer gas from the 5 gallon container to the blitz). You have to pull a cover back to get the gas flowing so you can have the container in position ready to go and pull back the nozzle and it starts flowing. I lose very little gas filling up the 2 strokes now. I will get some pics tomorrow of what the container is like. It is hard to describe.

gqnine44
05-21-2005, 12:45 AM
Guys...NO SPILL gas can are the only way to go. They do not allow gas to leak. The 2.5 gallon size is perfect for mix. Check out www.nospill.com. We have 7 or 8 of them and I plan on picking up more at the show in Louisville this fall.

PLM-1
05-21-2005, 02:02 AM
And i hate those new vent-less cans. Those things are soooo freakin slow! On my two-stoke stuff i have an older 5 gallon, the one with the vent on the back. I just close that vent and you really have to tip it pretty far to get any gas to come out, glad i kept that can around!

Dashunde
05-21-2005, 02:10 AM
I think Gravely got it right. I just picked up my new 1548Hydro today, you can stick your whole arm into its tank.

Eddie B
05-21-2005, 03:52 AM
Guys...NO SPILL gas can are the only way to go. They do not allow gas to leak. The 2.5 gallon size is perfect for mix. Check out www.nospill.com. We have 7 or 8 of them and I plan on picking up more at the show in Louisville this fall.

The no spill cans you have pictured are great. I HATE the no-spill Blitz cans, they spray in all directions and don't breathe worth sh**. I just got some new cans, forget which brand, i'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow. I trashed the Blitz cans, too many spills. I agree that equipment should have larger openings for refills.

SproulsLawnCare
05-21-2005, 04:21 AM
Here is a couple photos of a funnel that fits one of those steel gas cans with the spring loaded lid. I can't say that I have tried them yet, but I plan to! I saw one the other day and I can't see how you could spill any gas with it.

TLS
05-21-2005, 06:48 AM
I never had a problem really. Currently I use these.
http://www.justritemfg.com/pix/Midsize/10327.jpg

op4_camper
05-21-2005, 07:50 AM
ignore post

stboo6
05-21-2005, 09:00 AM
TLS...where did those cans come from??

Dashunde
05-21-2005, 09:40 AM
http://www.justritemfg.com/

Do a quick search on " Justrite 10821 " , which is the 5gal can.
You'll finds prices are around $75-85.

MarcSmith
05-21-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.northernsafety.com/cart/cart.cfm search for Fuel Cans.

the steel cans spring loaded tops, the plastick funnels are OK but make it hard to refill the can, and sometimes trap dust/dirt. butthe can last, adn they are DOT approved ro trnasport. the other options witch I did for several years is the gas caddy
http://www.interstateproducts.com/fluid_transfer.htm?OVRAW=gas%20caddie&OVKEY=gas%20caddy&OVMTC=standard

one can 30 gallons keep a small 2.5 can onboard for mix and your good to go. I had enclosed trailer with a mesh tailgate so I had good ventilation and no worrys about tampering...and no worrys about transportation as it was lashed down with ratcheting straps....

Of course when I filled everything up at the same time it was usually well over $100, which kinda hurts, but a lot less down time having to stop every few days to get gas....But I used Costco and walmart to fill up. whichever store was closest to my route...

Eddie B
05-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Wedco gas can, functions similar to a Blitz, but actually breathes and pours well, and at $17 you can't go wrong. I got these from my local dealer.

Gautreaux's LNG
05-21-2005, 02:38 PM
There are some cans that do a good job. they only open when you apply downward pressure when you pour, if you raise the can the flow stops. Sedco in Atlanta has them. They are the Briggs Dist. for the southeast. As fas as I know you have to get the complete can not just the nozzle. I'll Check to find out. Later

Roger
05-21-2005, 11:54 PM
This was a topic a couple of years ago. Somebody told me about NOSPILL (mentioned in a post above). I ordered the nozzle only for my 2.5 gal Wedco can. The nozzle works great. The fitting to the can isn't so great, but workable. I too was having so many spillage problems, but the NOSPILL solved the problem nicely.

gogetter
05-22-2005, 02:55 AM
Guys...NO SPILL gas can are the only way to go. They do not allow gas to leak. The 2.5 gallon size is perfect for mix. Check out www.nospill.com.

I was checking out that link, and was pretty interested in them, but then I saw the fine print and see that they aren't for sale in my state (PA). If they work as well as you say, then that's a bummer that I can't get them.

Roger
05-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Hmmmm, this has changed since I got my nozzles. I see nozzles by themselves aren't even offered any longer, just cans.
The "classic" isn't available, but the 'carb' models are available for PA -- if I understand the words correctly.

Itsgottobegreen
05-22-2005, 02:17 PM
I never had a problem really. Currently I use these.
http://www.justritemfg.com/pix/Midsize/10327.jpg

I run the metal 5 gallon safety cans. My father is a fire protection engineer and used to do test on gas cans. Trust me the metal safety cans have spark arrestors and self closing lids that work. I have seen them in a full involved fire and still contain the gasoline. Were as the plastic cans metal and contribute to the fire. They really work.

Mine are the older style safety cans with the plastic funnels. Soon as I build by new rack on the front of my enclosed I am getting the new style with the metal funnel and roll cage. So the DOT can kiss my butt. But they are $$$$$.

Eric D
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Sorry for popping up this old thread, but would really like to know if users of the No-Spill brand gas containers are happy with them or not. I'm planning on ordering one, but would really appreciate hearing someone that has used them. Here in Michigan we are not required to get the CARB containers, so I was planning on the non-CARB. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Eric D

MarcSmith
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
Here in Michigan we are not required to get the CARB containers,
YET...:)

sorry no info, but CARB will be everywhere one day...

Eric D
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah,

I understand they are going for a national requirement by January 2009. No big deal to those putting this into action seeing it cost them nothing! We are the ones that end up having to pay for it!

Eric D

cybervision
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
I just ordered a No-Spill "Classic" for $26.00 (including Shipping) from http://www.contractorbargains.com/main.sc They were the 1st vendor on the N0SPILL Web site.

It seams they don't care what state you live in. CARB cans are required here in PA.
They also have semi-transparent which I saw after I ordered the red one.

I will let you know how it works.

Keith
08-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Sorry for popping up this old thread, but would really like to know if users of the No-Spill brand gas containers are happy with them or not. I'm planning on ordering one, but would really appreciate hearing someone that has used them. Here in Michigan we are not required to get the CARB containers, so I was planning on the non-CARB. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Eric D

Hey Eric. I bought a No-Spill from a local dealer about two years ago. It worked beautifully for about 3, 4 months. One day I looked down at the wood on the trailer directly under the can and it looked like it was soaked in gas. It appeared to have a hole in the side of the can. I thought, "what kind of luck is that?" My best can and I poked a hole through it somehow.

So I found a place online and ordered three more. They had a good deal, so I figured I would stock up. I put one at a time into service over the next 10 months or so. They all started doing the same thing at about the three-month old mark. It wasn't a pin hole, it was actually splitting at a seam. If you look at the classic can, you can see a portion that is recessed, where the name and warnings are located. It was right at the top of the "box" where they would split and start seeping fuel.

I went back to the piece of crap that is Blitz. I started looking around again this spring for something better. I kept ending up back on No-Spill's site. Seeing the lifetime warranty info at the top I decided to contact them. I was pleasantly surprised that they returned an email pretty quickly. They wanted the build dates off the containers and said they had a batch that was a little thin in that area and said they would send new ones out. Three of mine had the same build month, but the first one was not in the same batch.

About five weeks later I received my four replacements. I am currently using the first one and we'll see how it goes. It looks just like the ones that split, but maybe the problem is fixed. I have not noticed this one expanding and contracting as much as the previous ones did though.

Bottom line, I was not too thrilled with a product that lasted just 3-4 months, but the company has been great to deal with. They stood behind the product. I think you should go for one. They do work world's better than the crap that is for sale at most stores.

z_clark
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
We have been using "No-Spill". We have 3 of their 2.5 gallon cans, and no problems in the 6 months of using them. It is a great design! Highly recomended!!!

Supper Grassy
08-31-2007, 04:32 PM
do the no spill cans have vents?

sawman65
08-31-2007, 04:55 PM
thought metal cans were outlawed years ago because of sparks?

cybervision
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
The No-Spill Cans don't have vents. They do have 2 handles though and they only take 1/2 the force to push open. Their web site shows the different models and explains the difference. They claim it pour out at a rate of 3 gallons per minute.

Oh, Now that they are not metal how long are we going to call them "GAS CANS" when we should be calling them Gas Plastics or Gas Jugs? Forever I guess.

Tom-N-Texas
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
anyone ever wonder why the makers of equipment (blowers, weedeaters, edgers, etc) don't make their gas tanks with larger openings for easier re-fill? It's almost like they want us to spill gas.

Eric D
09-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks everyone for your positive feed-back on the No-Spill gas containers.:p cybervision, would that be better then calling it a "Gas Can"?

Anyway, I ordered one. If it works well I'll get a few more. I ordered the non-CARB as they are not required here in Michigan yet, but wonder if I should have gotten it after reading your post Keith. It sounds like the CARB version would have to be made of thicker plastic for the greater pressure the container has to hold.

Thanks again,

Eric D:waving:

Keith
09-01-2007, 02:17 AM
I'll take their word for it and believe them when they said it was a bad batch. I guess I'll know for sure in about two months. Their customer service was top notch though.

wahlturfcare
09-01-2007, 10:55 AM
i run the no spill gas cans and love them with the fuel shut off button in the handle when im filing up.

ed2hess
09-01-2007, 06:19 PM
anyone ever wonder why the makers of equipment (blowers, weedeaters, edgers, etc) don't make their gas tanks with larger openings for easier re-fill? It's almost like they want us to spill gas.
I agree ....I don't think they spend any time thinking about how to make those opening so they would be easy to fill.

Jason Rose
09-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I have one of the "no-spill" 2.5 gallon cans, Iv'e used it for my 2 stroke mix for probably about 6+ years now. It looks ugly after all the years out in the sun on the trailer but it still works like new!

Funny that all these gas can threads are popping up, I'm in need of new 5 gallon cans, 3 of them, and can't decide what to do! The 3 I currently run are the old school Gott cans, and I love them, but the spouts are not lastig any time at all anymore. My mower dealer usually has the spouts to purchace, but I haven't found any there the last couple trips, and the newer ones are only lasting me a few months at best before they break in half :(

The other gas can thread I was reading talked about using the cans that motorcycle/atv guys use. They pour really fast and are suposedly ok to be carried on a trailer (in some states at least). I want something fast pouring because filling up the grasshopper takes a whole can + half of another, every day. gets old standing there growing mold waiting for a POS can to empty.

I'm leaning towards to metal saftey cans, but I don't know which is "better" the Eagle or the one pictured above in this thread, the name escapes me now...

Eric D
09-02-2007, 12:06 AM
I want something fast pouring because filling up the grasshopper takes a whole can + half of another, every day. gets old standing there growing mold waiting for a POS can to empty..

Jason,

You may already know this, but the NO-Spill containers boast that the 5 gal containers flow 3 gallons a minute. That sounds pretty good to me.

The metal cans maybe better, but I would think the theft factor is much higher on them compared to the plastic containers.

Part of the reason for threads on fuel containers, it is getting harder to find good cans in normal hardware stores. Same with the tractor stores in my area. I just ordered one of the No-Spill 5 gallon containers on Friday online because I could not find any good ones locally.

Regards,

Eric D

Keith
09-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Jason, how about these? http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fueljug.htm Claims to dump in about 9 seconds.

Jason Rose
09-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Jason, how about these? http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fueljug.htm Claims to dump in about 9 seconds.

That's what I'm leaning towards... The 3 GPM claim on the no-spill cans SOUNDS quick, till you think about standing there holding that can up for about a minute and a half to empty it :dizzy:

I also found these in another thread: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/188/1483/ITEM/Scribner-Plastics-Spacesaver-Utility-Jugs-(D.O.T-Approved).aspx

and: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/188/7342/ITEM/Western-Power-Sports-LC-5-Gallon-Jug.aspx

I'm basically using the same sort of hose on my Gott cans now, it works pretty well but the hose, even though it's "chemical" hose, and appears to be the same as what they use for the race cans, it gets hard and shrinks after a while. Also the gas eats away at it and strips the oils out of the plastic hose, makes a big mess on my hands when fueling or filling. Hope I can find some different hose too.

captken
09-02-2007, 01:04 AM
That's what I'm leaning towards... The 3 GPM claim on the no-spill cans SOUNDS quick, till you think about standing there holding that can up for about a minute and a half to empty it :dizzy:

I'm basically using the same sort of hose on my Gott cans now, it works pretty well but the hose, even though it's "chemical" hose, and appears to be the same as what they use for the race cans, it gets hard and shrinks after a while. Also the gas eats away at it and strips the oils out of the plastic hose, makes a big mess on my hands when fueling or filling. Hope I can find some different hose too.

Messy hands....lol...gasoline degrading the setup? lot of laughs all around.a
This is an old thread...but I'll chime in.
What sort of flow rate do you need for a trimmer?
Really, it takes what 1/2 pint or maybe 1 pint....abouts....not much? If you are not careful its easy to overfill it quick. It is a small amount.

what we do....

We fill the mowers up at the service station and we top off the 2 cycle fuel can, which by the way is 5 gallons.

This is never a problem for us and I don't see how it can be a problem for you guys. I use a plastic hose that I fit over what is currently available after I cut it off at the base....

Fuel cans are only used for 2 cycle stuff. Blowers are the biggest consumers.

I have a 100 gallon transfer tank that I can top off for price reasons, and we can refuel from that. Mowers or 5 gallon fuel tank.

Pumps 26 gallons per minute, for inquiring minds.

We need new threads! This is killing me....If you guys are relying on fuel cans for your mowers, then you are not in the same league as me. I fill the mowers up at the service station, the gas can is for hand held equipment.

Eric D
09-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Messy hands....lol...gasoline degrading the setup? lot of laughs all around.a
This is an old thread...but I'll chime in. We need new threads! This is killing me....If you guys are relying on fuel cans for your mowers, then you are not in the same league as me. I fill the mowers up at the service station, the gas can is for hand held equipment.
CaptKen,

Do you hit the fuel station every day? I would like to think that most fill their mowers at the station, but I don't everyday. The cans allow us to miss now and then. Having a 100 gal transfer tank would be nice, but hauling the extra 650 lbs of fuel as compared to a couple of 5-gallon at 65 lbs works better for me. I look at the 5-gallon gas containers as my reserve. When you need just a little more to complete the job at hand.

I agree that the 3-gallon a minute rate would be fine for me.

As far as old threads, sorry if I should have not brought it up from the depths of the archives. That was my fault. I wasn’t aware I shouldn’t have done that.

Regards,

Eric D

captken
09-02-2007, 11:17 AM
CaptKen,

Do you hit the fuel station every day? I would like to think that most fill their mowers at the station, but I don't everyday. The cans allow us to miss now and then. Having a 100 gal transfer tank would be nice, but hauling the extra 650 lbs of fuel as compared to a couple of 5-gallon at 65 lbs works better for me. I look at the 5-gallon gas containers as my reserve. When you need just a little more to complete the job at hand.

I agree that the 3-gallon a minute rate would be fine for me.

As far as old threads, sorry if I should have not brought it up from the depths of the archives. That was my fault. I wasn’t aware I shouldn’t have done that.

Regards,

Eric D

Eric D,

Yes, we visit a gas station when needed. They are all around us here. You cannot help but pass numerous gas stations during the course of a day. We fuel up when needed at the gas station.
Gotta get ice....Power Aid....etc. Fuel levels are checked often. Truck uses diesel.

If I run out, and it has happened, I use the trimmer gas to finish up. Then back to the station. No I do not think that running trimmer gas is a good thing to do all the time, but it will not hurt anything to use it when you have too.

My gripe with gas cans are the current crop, you know the plastic cans with the hard plastic spout, and the small yellow cap. The cap gets lost and......

The tang that holds the little yellow cap on gets hung up fueling the hand held stuff, causing you to overfill....I cut the hard plastic spout off, clamp on a piece of plastic flexible hose, and there you go.

The metal ones are cumbersome to use too.

Old threads are alright by me....The archives are our best asset. That is where you find the real skinny on just about anything you have a question about. Period.

Its better to search and find an old thread that you can add something too, rather than post the same old same old...time after time threads, IMHO.
Your friend,
kenny.

topsites
09-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Just practice mostly, I still spill a few ounces a week for sure, seems the more attention I pay the less I spill but the longer it takes, either way I tell you.

One trick I've used for years, both with oil bottles and gas cans, is to put my thumb over the opening as I turn it upside down, then release the thumb right before it's about to go in the hole.

With the 2-cyclers, best I've found is to prop them on the trailer hitch some kind of way, other places allow for propping as well, but have to be careful it doesn't slip, takes practice. Now the tank end is up in the air and allows for a slower tipping of the can, still it's not perfect but never fill it up completely helps a bit as well.

btw if I find an old style craftsman can I'll pay black market prices for it, have 2-3 of them smaller ones but too bad I only have one 5-gallon one, they're worth their weight in gold thou :laugh:

Wonder if these are any good:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-GERRY-JERRY-GAS-GAN-5-GALLON-4X4-OFF-ROAD-19_W0QQitemZ150157267794QQihZ005QQcategoryZ6763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD6VQQcmdZViewItem

Frontier-Lawn
09-02-2007, 03:18 PM
The reason cans suck and gas is spilled is because thats how they were made by the gas company's so that you need to get more gas faster!

bare spot
09-02-2007, 09:39 PM
flexible gasoline pouring spout, not sure if anyone uses or mention this. have one of the old containers for gas but use this for the mix, seams to work better than those no spill contraptions. just popped out the no spill devise and replaced it with that, does got to match up with seal and all. i find does work well for the handheld stuff and trimmers with the openings being small and just picked up another one yesterday for couple dollars, wedco is name or co.

cybervision
09-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I received the NoSpill can last week and it is so much better. With the 2 handles and flat bottom I was able to rest the can right on top of my Taskmaster fuel tank with the spout going it the tank and push the button. It emptied out real fast. I think it emptied as fast as it took to fill it.

I am not sure but I think it may stop filling when the fuel in the tank gets up to the spout but I was afraid to try that out.

I will be ordering more of these. They have clear ones which would be nice to see inside but I am not sure if the U.V. is a problem with Gas.

http://www.contractorbargains.com/main.sc

Eric D
09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I will be ordering more of these. They have clear ones which would be nice to see inside but I am not sure if the U.V. is a problem with Gas.
I got my first No-Spill as well. So far I like it. In regards to clear containers, it might be just in my area, but the gas stations will refuse to let you fill if you don't have a "proper color coded container".:confused:

Eric D

KTO Enterprises
09-10-2007, 04:57 PM
One trick I've used for years, both with oil bottles and gas cans, is to put my thumb over the opening as I turn it upside down, then release the thumb right before it's about to go in the hole.

This would be a problem for half the clowns on this site. How would they suck their thumb with a little gas on it?

I use the blitz 2.5 gallon can and rarely ever spill gas. Only like you said, when I am in a hurry and not paying attention. But that would happen with any can.

Stillwater
09-10-2007, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=KTO Enterprises;1958817]This would be a problem for half the clowns on this site. How would they suck their thumb with a little gas on it?
QUOTE]

I laughed so hard I almost peed

Stillwater
09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
I mean if your in a rush for get it, i just get gas everywhere, its hard to avoid.

Hey I like your mower attachments

KTO Enterprises
09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
We need new threads! This is killing me....If you guys are relying on fuel cans for your mowers, then you are not in the same league as me. I fill the mowers up at the service station, the gas can is for hand held equipment.

I do have to use fuel cans for the tractor. Have you ever tried to pull a 37 foot long trailer through a gas station parking lot to the off road diesel pump that they stick in the back corner by the homeless people tents and the gypsies? I usually cant even get the trailer close enough to the pump to get the nozzle to the tank on the tractor. This is why I made the post about the scribner cans. quick dump 5 gallon cans.