PDA

View Full Version : Green Slime

LawnBrother
05-21-2005, 01:04 AM
Ok, so due to my own stupidity I ended up with a flat tire on my WB today. And worse yet at the bottom of a big hill. Anyway I made it to the top somehow, man that sucked. I have heard of this stuff called green slime that is supposed to prevent leaks, seal tires, etc. Does anyone use it? Recommend it? Thanks!

Jason Rose
05-21-2005, 01:17 AM
I really like the "slime" the green stuff! Ive used several brands and the green goo seems to work the best. Once in a while I see some oozing out of a new hole in one of the tires on my Z. It will ooze for a bit till it dries in the hole and seals it. So far so good. Iv'e been using it about 3 years. Some I tried before 'ameraseal' and the stuff in the can that inflates the tire too seems to work, but only for a while, then it either dries out in the tire or breaks down and stops sealing. One thing for sure, if you have to take the tires off the rims you or your tire guy will hate the stuff. slick and nasty... Also, speaking of rims, I know that some of the tire sealants can actually rust out steel rims. I don't remember if slime claims to not do that or not, surely, for the price of it, it wouldn't.

P.S. get the gallon jug with the pump. Generally I find the gallon to be about the same price as 2 or 3 quart bottles. Still around 55 bucks!

Grass Masters
05-21-2005, 01:28 AM
IF you use SLIME it is about the same as using Fix A flat when it comes time to getting new tires you either one have to SPEND alot of time CLeaning the rim Or 2 Buy a new rim

Better off just buying a new rim but then again that is costly

The Captain
05-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Use the green "Slime" in all my inflatable tires on the wb and "Z". I had two flats before I put the Slime in and none since. Like Jason said, the stuff works.

Jim

Grass Masters
05-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Yes it does work BUT one day those tires will wear out and then your stuck with having to buy a new rim OR spending alot of TIME trying to clean the GUNK off of the rim so the new tire will seal

I know of a few tire guys that wont touch a rim that has had SLIME or Fix a Flat in it

alwaysgreener
05-21-2005, 07:41 AM
We only use tire plugs. We NEVER use slime or fix a flat, I make sure the both crew leaders always have them in the trailers.

Charles
05-21-2005, 07:59 AM
I use Slime for a long time. Has not hurt the rims and it works great. For the bigger holes I use plugs. I do know fix a flat will ruin rims(found that out on the auto)

Shady Brook
05-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I am with Charles. Also, get the fix a flat with the black rubber pieces in it.

stumper1620
05-21-2005, 08:50 AM
all mine are slimed, I 'm my own tire guy, haven't had a problem dealing with it in the past on car tires so i really don't see a problem coming with the equipment tires either. :D
depending on whats inside them, most the time refusal to work with the tires & rims is do to the terrible odor that is in them, most guys can't handle it and usually its not known until the bead is broken, plug your nose when replacing the tire.

pagefault
05-21-2005, 09:26 AM
I've been using it on my mountain bikes for as long as I can remember (probably more than 10 years).

Green Pastures
05-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I use Slime, it's the greatest stuff since sliced bread.

DFW Area Landscaper
05-21-2005, 10:06 AM
I put the yellow stuff they sell at Wal-mart in the tires of the Ferris about 15 months ago. No flats. But then again, I had no flats the first 11 months either.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

dkeisala
05-21-2005, 12:11 PM
We had the local tire shop put something in the tire to fix a flat last year, it didn't work really well. Kept oozing out and eventually going flat again. Went to the auto supply store and spent a few bucks on tire plugs. Had the tire fixed in about 5 minutes and haven't had a problem since.

HighGrass
05-21-2005, 12:43 PM
So if I understand you guys correctly that do use the slime, you load it before you get a flat?

and...

Can you use it after you get a flat?

Charles
05-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Before or after. Just spin the tire until it flows enough to seal the leak
Probably better before lol So you dont get stuck in a yard with a flat

Del9175
05-21-2005, 02:38 PM
I had a nail in a walk behind tire a few years ago. I stopped at the store to get some plugs but they didn't have any. The only option I had at this point was to try slime. I pulled the nail, put the slime in, aired it up and never had a problem again.

I put it in my trailer tires too. When I got some new tires, I told the guy changing them that they had slime in them. I had heard that guys won't mess with them if they are. He said, "it's no problem at all." All you ever hear is guys saying they hear someone won't mess with them if there slimed, but you never hear them say they know someone who won't.

gl1200a
05-21-2005, 06:19 PM
I love the stuff and have used it for many years now. But, have no idea what the talk is about the problems with the rims. I use Slime in everything from my Goldwing tires to my Z-Trak and all in between... everything. When you change tires the sustance is still in liquid form and you simply rinse it off of the rims and re-apply new Slime after mounting new tires.

WoodBrothersLC
05-21-2005, 10:46 PM
We got a flat on our stander about a month ago, and for the past few weeks every other day the tire pressure decreased so we had to inflate it constantly so we ended up putting slime in and haven't seen a problem yet...WE Highly Recommend it!!!

- Joe Wood

LawnBrother
05-21-2005, 11:26 PM
this morning and put it in. Held pressure all day. Thanks for all the advice on the slime!

Jason Rose
05-21-2005, 11:36 PM
this morning and put it in. Held pressure all day. Thanks for all the advice on the slime!

I'm sorry to be crude, but I just read what you posted and it made my laugh. I'm such child...

Glad to hear it worked for ya!

Also, I usually tell my tire guy about slime, or whatever, being in the tire, and like others said even though I had "heard" many times that a tire guy won't touch them, everyone so far has said it's not a problem.

I will never use it on car/truck tires. Trailers are fine... Also in atv's it's fine for the 4x4 type or smaller ones, but don't use it in the sport or racing quads. It throws the wheels out of balance and can cause strange/dangerous stuff to happen at high speeds. (just what I was told)

I also have a plug kit and have plugged dozens of holes in trailer and mower tires. I run my trailer tires slick so I pick up every nail and screw in the world. Since I got new tires a year ago that problem pretty much stopped, but alas, the new ones are wearing down already and will soon be 'magnetic' to all the sharp objects lying in wait on the road for them.

mosmgras
05-22-2005, 06:34 AM
I put slime in the front tires of my grasshopper. I put foam filled tires on the front of my sentar. No flats in either one however, the sentar rides noticeably rougher since the change to solid tires.

LawnBrother
05-22-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry to be crude, but I just read what you posted and it made my laugh. I'm such child...

Wow I'm slippin'. Usually I would have been the first to pick up on that one! Anyway I'm glad I could make you laugh, even if I didn't mean to....

surfisher211
05-22-2005, 12:30 PM
:waving: have green slime in all my tires!